Author Topic: Super 8 150 belt change  (Read 2887 times)

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Super 8 150 belt change
« on: December 28, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »
Has anyone replaced the belt on a Super 8 150?
My belt has been slipping.  It could be the clutch, but it sure feels like the belt is slapping around in there.
I have taken the case cover off and had a look.  Some belt dust is all that I have seen.
I have been riding in the cold weather (30's to 40's) and wonder if the cold is having an effect.
What kind of impact wrench will do the job to remove the pulleys?
Can you recommend a belt that you know fits the Super 8 150?

Thanks

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 150 belt change
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:59:56 PM »
Anybody?  Help.... :-\

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
I'm of no help.  I have a s8 150 but its brand new and I've made a decision to let my dealer do all installs and repairs.

I know it will cost me money and time but I don't have the proper tools or knowledge and I don't want to learn on my brand new scooter.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:58:39 PM »
Has anyone replaced the belt on a Super 8 150?
My belt has been slipping.  It could be the clutch, but it sure feels like the belt is slapping around in there.
I have taken the case cover off and had a look.  Some belt dust is all that I have seen.
I have been riding in the cold weather (30's to 40's) and wonder if the cold is having an effect.
What kind of impact wrench will do the job to remove the pulleys?
Can you recommend a belt that you know fits the Super 8 150?

Thanks

I would not say the belt is slipping.

It's the roller weights or the clutch...

Cold weather has no impact.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:22:28 AM »
Do NOT use a impact wrench! I have seen so many crank ends get snapped off when they go to put the variator nut back on its crazy-that nut only calls for 40Nm. Belts typically last around 10-12,000 miles. If it is the belt make sure you get the correct belt from a good source- not one of those "china part" supply houses out there. There is no such thing as a universal belt-length-width-tooth angle are model specific. It could be the rollers, maybee a broken clutch spring (more common on two-shoe clutches), or if you hot-rod it with burnouts or jump the local railroad tracks (I do it to my Zuma 125) something else. YouTube had the video for belt changing posted by a couple of different people. Watch and learn. If you think you can do it (most all air-cooled 150's and down are the same) give it a shot. Also, see if someone posted the shop manual. Hit us up if you decide to tackle it with any other questions.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
It looks like I will need to get into the clutch and see if there are any problems there.
I only have 2000 miles on the bike and am fairly gentle with it.
I have looked at those videos regarding the belt/clutch removal and some use impact wrenches and some brace the pulleys with different tools.
I will figure something out...
On one video, the guy was able to get the belt off without removing either pulley, but that seems impossible with the Super 8.

Cheers

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »
I have had some luck with this problem.
I decide to get the impact wrench at Sears this past weekend.  This was after I had tried a few different methods to remove the clutch with no success.  Like may dad says "you can never have too many tools".  I have been wanting to get one of these anyway.
I got an air powered 400 ft/lbs Craftsman and it is a solid unit.
I had never used one before so I was curious what would happen. 
When it first spun the nut, the bell housing went with it, but it quickly loosened the nut and off she came.
I used some Emory cloth to buff the inside of the bell housing and the clutch pads, which were glazed a bit.  May I add that these are some wimpy looking pads on the stock unit.
I cleaned the dust off the parts and put it back on the bike.  I used the impact wrench to tighten the nut. 
I test drove it after this and was not overly impressed, but on my ride to work today, I was.  There is much less "slipping" and the scooter seems to have better pick up.

Has anyone installed a "performance" or "racing" clutch on their Super 8?  After seeing what the stock looked like, I may want to upgrade.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()