Author Topic: AK550 Battery R&R  (Read 400 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
AK550 Battery R&R
« on: June 01, 2024, 07:39:36 PM »
Help !!!

who designed this, remove the windscreen, then the mounts, then the front plastic, before you see the battery box or fuses, not the side of the road thing I'd want if a fuse blew.

after some fussing with Un attaching the fuse block from the battery cover, finally, there's the battery

how does it come out? only way I could get a grip is on the terminals, but then there's a crossbar in the way

gotta be a trick to this
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 Battery R&R
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 08:12:47 PM »
Reminds me of a Honda PCX - to do a valve adjustment - start removing the tail light and work your way forward!

I'm sure you're keeping a tender on it ,to reduce the number of times one must go in there.
I doubt you think it's a deal changer - even if you saw that in a maint. manual before purchasing?

Surely the owner's manual talks you through a battery change?

Your big scoot is probably meant to run 5 yrs on a battery. And as for blown fuses....."they don't happen!" Sure.

Good luck - keep us posted.....pix are always fun - esp. someone else's troubles!

Hang in there!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2024, 09:02:05 PM »
Reminds me of a Honda PCX - to do a valve adjustment - start removing the tail light and work your way forward!

I'm sure you're keeping a tender on it ,to reduce the number of times one must go in there.
I doubt you think it's a deal changer - even if you saw that in a maint. manual before purchasing?

Surely the owner's manual talks you through a battery change?

Your big scoot is probably meant to run 5 yrs on a battery. And as for blown fuses....."they don't happen!" Sure.

Good luck - keep us posted.....pix are always fun - esp. someone else's troubles!

Hang in there!
Stig

ya, I have it all set up with a pigtail from the battery...... somehow??? my tender got disconnected over the winter, now the battery won't take a charge, I have a new battery that I bought when the fob battery died

fwiw, the dealer replaced my original battery under warranty, 5 year life?

Thinking of making a plastic strap that I can attach to the terminals to use as a handle, looks like a lift a little, tip forward a little, lift a little more, repeat till ya have it out, like taking off a pair of cowboy boots

when I get all this done, I'm also going to add remote battery posts, sufficient for jump starting, got a kit, not sure where I'm gonna locate it, thinking under the seat, and add a mechanical seat latch cable
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2024, 09:50:23 PM »
SUCCESS  !!!

I made a battery handle by repurposing a tear off strip from a kitty litter container, tough enough plastic to hold the weight of a battery, no particular measurements, drill a couple holes big enough for the battery terminal screws, wallah! a battery handle

RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 12:04:14 AM »
Boy a post doesn't get much better than this!
Good photos, clear instructions, repurposing a cat!
Great stuff Randy!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 12:05:33 AM »
Boy a post doesn't get much better than this!
Good photos, clear instructions, repurposing a cat!
Great stuff Randy!

Going 14Ah yuasa this time?

Stig
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 12:07:24 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2024, 01:25:37 AM »
yes YTZ14, original Taiwanese battery was only 7ah, the YTZ12 is the replacement I got under warranty
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2024, 07:47:01 AM »
yes YTZ14, original Taiwanese battery was only 7ah, the YTZ12 is the replacement I got under warranty

Yuasa have always proved reliable and long-lived in my experience.  My go to battery brand.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2024, 03:08:59 PM »
Nah! That battery is definitely not the most difficult to get out. Have you ever tried to remove the battery on a Honda Metropolitan? WAY harder to do. Definitely need that handle or it's just not coming out. Even the battery in my CTX1300 was WAY harder to get out. The AK 550 battery was easy by comparison. I didn't need any handle and was able to remove it easily. I also even figured out the fuse block attachment. Slip a very small flat blade screw driver under the tab and it slips right off. I removed the battery a few times already just to check things and also when adding some electrical farkles that are now laying on top the battery cover. The tools that came with my AK plus one more tool that I added to the kit are all I need to get to the battery and fuse block on the road. I added one or two more tools and can almost completely tear down the bike to the bare frame in the field. This is IMO one of the easiest bikes to work on that still has a full fairing. And the fairing panels are the easiest to work with, remove and install, of all the full fairing bikes I've owned. It's just a matter of learning how to work with them.

To the OEM tool kit simply add this tool to make it easy to get the top front totally exposed.
https://a.co/d/4IK6SNx
I've used this tool for many things on my AK including removing the storage box when installing the hitch that I made.
The tool kit already includes, or should, the Allen wrenches needed. If not add a small size set of those from 3mm up to 6mm.
I did replace the cheap screw driver with a better one but that was a tool for tool swap.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2024, 11:19:04 PM »
fat fingers can be disabling when working on vehicles
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2024, 08:16:15 AM »
fat fingers can be disabling when working on vehicles

Ain’t that the truth! 😂🤣
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()