Author Topic: 2012 Kymco UXV 500 General Troubleshooting  (Read 1290 times)

DWELDR

• View Profile
2012 Kymco UXV 500 General Troubleshooting
« on: June 03, 2024, 02:11:48 AM »
Good evening, my first issue was gasoline dripping out of the bottom of the carb drain. Backed off of the screw, cleaned it up put it back together, and no fix. Found out that one of the springs in the throttle assembly was just caked with years of dust. Cleaned it, and it stopped dripping.

Still, no start.
Cleaned the carb up, put it back together, and nothing.
Sprayed starter fluid into air intake, and it didn’t even notice it.
Changed spark plug,nope.
Oil is full.
Battery is charged.

Through out all this, it never acted any different with the little bit of work I’ve done with troubleshooting. It just keeps turning over and not firing.

A few months ago, I replaced the rectifier, I think that’s the name, and a battery.
Had to replace the battery again two weeks ago again, even after keeping it running or on a tender.

This is my first side by side and I didn’t know better, so I’m stuck constantly tinkering with it so the kids and wife can take ride in the evenings. The wife isn’t sold on getting another one since this one has been broken down so much in the 2 years we’ve had it. I know, it’s a long story, please help. Fix it or trash it?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Kymco UXV 500 General Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 03:21:57 PM »
Good evening, my first issue was gasoline dripping out of the bottom of the carb drain. Backed off of the screw, cleaned it up put it back together, and no fix. Found out that one of the springs in the throttle assembly was just caked with years of dust. Cleaned it, and it stopped dripping.

Still, no start.
Cleaned the carb up, put it back together, and nothing.
Sprayed starter fluid into air intake, and it didn’t even notice it.
Changed spark plug,nope.
Oil is full.
Battery is charged.

Through out all this, it never acted any different with the little bit of work I’ve done with troubleshooting. It just keeps turning over and not firing.

A few months ago, I replaced the rectifier, I think that’s the name, and a battery.
Had to replace the battery again two weeks ago again, even after keeping it running or on a tender.

This is my first side by side and I didn’t know better, so I’m stuck constantly tinkering with it so the kids and wife can take ride in the evenings. The wife isn’t sold on getting another one since this one has been broken down so much in the 2 years we’ve had it. I know, it’s a long story, please help. Fix it or trash it?

willing to take it to a Kymco dealer for a check-up?
2 years of unreliable ownership ....would be too much for me. If I can't fix it and the dealer is not an option....yeah, she'd be gone!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 03:21:18 AM »
One Kymco peculiarity is voltage while cranking (or any other time as well!) must not fall much below 10 volts or no spark. Try measuring battery voltage while cranking. These things will spin over at 9.5 volts but absolutely no spark.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

DWELDR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 01:36:45 AM »
willing to take it to a Kymco dealer for a check-up?
2 years of unreliable ownership ....would be too much for me. If I can't fix it and the dealer is not an option....yeah, she'd be gone!

Stig

It’s getting close, man. It’s gonna hurt trashing it.

DWELDR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2024, 01:49:30 AM »
One Kymco peculiarity is voltage while cranking (or any other time as well!) must not fall much below 10 volts or no spark. Try measuring battery voltage while cranking. These things will spin over at 9.5 volts but absolutely no spark.

I was excited for your reply. I ended up replacing the ignition coil, but didn’t have any luck. I went out as fast as I could to check the voltage drop  and…12.34v sitting and 11.53 when try to crank. Tested at the battery. So, I almost gave up, then I traced the wires that go to the ignition coil. They go to a CDI. Part #30400-LEE8-900. After looking at videos, I’ve come to the conclusion that the his guy is the main culprit. Symptoms of a bad CDI include, sluggish start, no start, rough idle, no spark/poor spark, basically everything that I’ve been dealing with on the this round.

Problem, the only CDI I’ve found was on EBay, with no refund. It’s around $160, I believe. Any chance that I could wire a different part number to make it cheaper and available?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 11:03:21 AM »
Before replacing any pricey part it should be determined by testing it is the bad part. This rig is twelve years old. Have ALL the connectors been pulled, inspected, silicone greased and reconnected? Have all ground point connections been done the same? Any green corrosion spotted on terminal crimps?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 12:44:52 PM »
Please have a look at this thread, this 500i motors tend to be capricious....
...but its to be solved.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=33895.0
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()