Author Topic: What’s your MPG on the AK 550  (Read 992 times)

bgjosevski

• View Profile
What’s your MPG on the AK 550
« on: June 07, 2024, 08:44:42 PM »
Hey Guys,

I just got the Ak 550. I have 180 miles on it and I’m on the third tank.
The computer says average of 58mpg but it looks like it’s way off.

Thanks

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: What’s your MPG on the AK 550
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2024, 03:04:04 AM »
my gauge starts flashing at about 180 miles, and takes 2.8 gallons to fill = 65 mpg. Been pretty consistent and have just under 3k miles total
RandyO
IBA#9560

bgjosevski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2024, 04:24:12 AM »
my gauge starts flashing at about 180 miles, and takes 2.8 gallons to fill = 65 mpg. Been pretty consistent and have just under 3k miles total

Wow, that’s what i was hoping:)
My gauge started blinking at 80miles and I refueled 2.4. Maybe it will improve since I only have 180 miles on it.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2024, 02:55:28 PM »
Every new bike I've bought improved the mpg as more miles accumulated... leveling off somewhere between 6000-8000 miles.
I'm not getting over 60 mpg. I have a time or two but it's rare. I was expecting to be below 50 mpg when I pulled my Uni-Go trailer but I found that with such a light and aerodynamic trailer I was still getting between 52-57 mpg. Normally (without the trailer in tow) I get 54-58 mpg. For me the last red bar starts to flash around 145-160 miles. I figure I have about another 40 miles before the red bar goes away. But then the red "E" will start to flash for another 12-15 miles before truly empty. I have seen the flashing red "E" twice now but only once did I need 3.7 gallons to fill it. I don't normally let it get that low, not good for the fuel pump if it goes dry. But just know that there is a little bit of reserve left after the red bar stops flashing. I reset trip meter A every time I fill the tank and use that information along with what the gas gauge is showing to know when to fill up.

When I initially bought my AK and started riding it home (400 miles away) I wasn't familiar with the gas gauge so filled up earlier than I needed to. But still I saw the red bar start to flash at between 80-100 miles. It has vastly improved since then. I currently have over 15,000 miles on mine now.

BTW- DO NOT pay any attention to the computer generated mpg showing on the dash. I have yet to own any bike with that display that is anywhere close to accurate. My AK will show 66-75 mpg when the actual calculated value is 54-59 mpg. I just ignore that dash reading since it is SO far off.

Heat helps most bike engines. As the temp goes up so does the mpg.

BTW- After my last trip pulling the trailer I filled up and calculated the last leg home of that trip was 57.7 mpg. That was with the Uni-Go trailer in tow the entire tank. I rode 158.0 miles and filled up with 2.735 gallons. The red bar had JUST started to flash about a half mile before the gas station. I more recently filled the tank but didn't really need to. I only rode 103.8 miles and filled up with 1.912 gallons for 54.2 mpg. Only a few of those miles were with the trailer (I use the trailer for grocery shopping trips).

A LOT of factors come into play for what mpg anyone gets on any motorcycle/scooter. More so than with cars or SUVs. Air temps, road surfaces, riding style, type of fuel. This bike does not use premium fuel. 87 octane is what it calls for so it's a waste to pay more for any different. The manuals are confusing about that since they are showing the European or SE Asia version which is either MON or RON numbers. But in the USA we use PON (RON + MON /2)... you'll see that forumla on the pump label. 90-91 octane RON in Europe is the same as 87 PON here. Go by the label in the storage box. This is mine.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cdwfHNj8ivZRTHCR7
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

bgjosevski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2024, 05:20:30 PM »
Every new bike I've bought improved the mpg as more miles accumulated... leveling off somewhere between 6000-8000 miles.
I'm not getting over 60 mpg. I have a time or two but it's rare. I was expecting to be below 50 mpg when I pulled my Uni-Go trailer but I found that with such a light and aerodynamic trailer I was still getting between 52-57 mpg. Normally (without the trailer in tow) I get 54-58 mpg. For me the last red bar starts to flash around 145-160 miles. I figure I have about another 40 miles before the red bar goes away. But then the red "E" will start to flash for another 12-15 miles before truly empty. I have seen the flashing red "E" twice now but only once did I need 3.7 gallons to fill it. I don't normally let it get that low, not good for the fuel pump if it goes dry. But just know that there is a little bit of reserve left after the red bar stops flashing. I reset trip meter A every time I fill the tank and use that information along with what the gas gauge is showing to know when to fill up.

When I initially bought my AK and started riding it home (400 miles away) I wasn't familiar with the gas gauge so filled up earlier than I needed to. But still I saw the red bar start to flash at between 80-100 miles. It has vastly improved since then. I currently have over 15,000 miles on mine now.

BTW- DO NOT pay any attention to the computer generated mpg showing on the dash. I have yet to own any bike with that display that is anywhere close to accurate. My AK will show 66-75 mpg when the actual calculated value is 54-59 mpg. I just ignore that dash reading since it is SO far off.

Heat helps most bike engines. As the temp goes up so does the mpg.

BTW- After my last trip pulling the trailer I filled up and calculated the last leg home of that trip was 57.7 mpg. That was with the Uni-Go trailer in tow the entire tank. I rode 158.0 miles and filled up with 2.735 gallons. The red bar had JUST started to flash about a half mile before the gas station. I more recently filled the tank but didn't really need to. I only rode 103.8 miles and filled up with 1.912 gallons for 54.2 mpg. Only a few of those miles were with the trailer (I use the trailer for grocery shopping trips).

A LOT of factors come into play for what mpg anyone gets on any motorcycle/scooter. More so than with cars or SUVs. Air temps, road surfaces, riding style, type of fuel. This bike does not use premium fuel. 87 octane is what it calls for so it's a waste to pay more for any different. The manuals are confusing about that since they are showing the European or SE Asia version which is either MON or RON numbers. But in the USA we use PON (RON + MON /2)... you'll see that forumla on the pump label. 90-91 octane RON in Europe is the same as 87 PON here. Go by the label in the storage box. This is mine.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cdwfHNj8ivZRTHCR7

Thanks for your response Bob.
Yes, hopefully it will go up and normalize after some time.
I use 93 octane gas. I will check that label.
I use to have the BMW c650 GT for almost 10 years and 95 octane was recommended. I was always using 93 because you can’t find 95 at NYC gas stations.
I was getting 36-7 mpg with the BMW and the computer was always accurate.
That’s why i got confused a bit:))

Do you by any chance know if there are a bit heavier roller sets for the oem variatot?
I found that the weight is 17gr and I would put 19 to lower the rpms a little bit.
I know everybody tries to make them faster and more aggressive but I’m opposite:) I like smoother and comfortable ride.

Thanks

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2024, 09:46:37 PM »

Thanks for your response Bob.
Yes, hopefully it will go up and normalize after some time.
I use 93 octane gas. I will check that label.
I use to have the BMW c650 GT for almost 10 years and 95 octane was recommended. I was always using 93 because you can’t find 95 at NYC gas stations.
I was getting 36-7 mpg with the BMW and the computer was always accurate.
That’s why i got confused a bit:))

Do you by any chance know if there are a bit heavier roller sets for the oem variatot?
I found that the weight is 17gr and I would put 19 to lower the rpms a little bit.
I know everybody tries to make them faster and more aggressive but I’m opposite:) I like smoother and comfortable ride.

Thanks

As mentioned, you don't need more than 87 octane in the USA.
I used to own a CTX1300. That uses the same engine, basically, as the ST1300. The ST recommends 93 octane but the CTX recommends 87 octane. The difference is the compression ratio... and maybe a few other minor details.

Dr Pulley does make sliders and rollers that will work. Both heavier and lighter. Heavier rollers will decrease the RPM for the same speed. But why change it. The load to the rear wheel will temper any benefit in that so you might consider changing the contra spring as well. There is some information on that over on the ADV Riders forum in the Scooter sub forum. Look for the threads about the AK 550. There are a few owners who changed their rollers to 1-2 grams different to get more out of the CVT but I think I recall they also changed the contra spring. I like the way it is but that's just me as you can tell.
/bob

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2024, 12:23:32 AM »
Many manuals publish RON (Research Octane Number) rather than the M+R/2  octane number displayed on pumps in the US
The big cast iron V8 in my Silverado don't care what octane you put in it, I find my small engines, especially air cooled engines run better with premium, most  local stations, that's 91, rarely 93

personally, and probably only cause I can get away with it where and when I ride, mid day, mid week, rural roads, no commuters, I can accelerate and decelerate gradual without the pressure of surrounding traffic to be a jack rabbit

@65mpg, my AK550 is my best fuel economy vehicle, even better than my K-Pipe since I replaced the oem 125cc with a 190cc motor,  I'm lucky to get 65 miles/gallon now, the 1.1 gallon fuel tank I can visually see the gauge drop at highway speeds, I had one tank I recorded at 44mpg (ride up the Mt Washington Auto Road https://mt-washington.com/ but also as high as 75 mpg, normally 60-65 hard to know, an extra splash makes a huge difference, as can trying to fill it to the brim on a hot day to have it expand and piss out the overflow.  Used to routinely get 100+ with the 125cc
RandyO
IBA#9560

bgjosevski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2024, 02:44:16 AM »
As mentioned, you don't need more than 87 octane in the USA.
I used to own a CTX1300. That uses the same engine, basically, as the ST1300. The ST recommends 93 octane but the CTX recommends 87 octane. The difference is the compression ratio... and maybe a few other minor details.

Dr Pulley does make sliders and rollers that will work. Both heavier and lighter. Heavier rollers will decrease the RPM for the same speed. But why change it. The load to the rear wheel will temper any benefit in that so you might consider changing the contra spring as well. There is some information on that over on the ADV Riders forum in the Scooter sub forum. Look for the threads about the AK 550. There are a few owners who changed their rollers to 1-2 grams different to get more out of the CVT but I think I recall they also changed the contra spring. I like the way it is but that's just me as you can tell.

Perfect Bob, thanks.
I will check dr Pulley rollers. I will try first with the rollers than spring if needed. I just spent 13k for this bike:) I like the rpms to be lower and the bike quite. As for the gas, next tank will be 87.
Thanks for your advise.

bgjosevski

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024, 04:07:03 PM »
Just an update on the mpg. Last bar started blinking on 104 miles Trip A resettled on refueling. Average mpg shows 58.5.
I will ride until I get the blinking E.
As Bob mentioned it will probably get better but let’s see:)
I wouldn’t mind the low mph but refueling and getting the blinking light at 100 miles is terrible.
I need 6 gallons tank:)

Ben

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2024, 06:47:00 PM »
I get between 55 to 65 mpg based off gas fill-ups and GPS. Also it varied between city and highway driving. Seems to be a common MPG amongst AK550 drivers. I use 93 super-unleaded from Shell in my bike, even though its not necessary.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2024, 08:26:39 PM »
Just an update on the mpg. Last bar started blinking on 104 miles Trip A resettled on refueling. Average mpg shows 58.5.
I will ride until I get the blinking E.
As Bob mentioned it will probably get better but let’s see:)
I wouldn’t mind the low mph but refueling and getting the blinking light at 100 miles is terrible.
I need 6 gallons tank:)

Ben

Yeah that mileage doesn't help sell the bike as a cross country cruiser.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bgjosevski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2024, 09:07:45 PM »

Stig

lol. For me the sitting position is so bad and the wind is just coming from everywhere. I can barely ride 15 miles. Cross country cruiser 😂😂😂???

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2024, 09:40:01 PM »

Stig

not the mileage, range is more limiting, 6 gallon tank would be nice
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2024, 09:19:03 PM »
Just returned from a weekend camping/riding trip. Finally got 62+ mpg again. Only did that 2-3 times before. This time while pulling my Uni-Go trailer! That red block does start flashing rather soon but it is surprising how many miles I can go while it is. That's almost a full quarter tank. As to range before needing to fill up... I find I need to step off the bike to empty MY tank about the same time I need to fill up the bike's tank.

Here's the breakdown of my trip:
Total miles were 690.
Pulled the trailer 581 of those miles. (first 2 and last 2 tanks).
I burned 5 tanks of gas and filled up just before I drove into the garage at home.
1st tank: 165.3 miles, 2.889 gallons, about 57.2 mpg.
2nd tank: 126.4 miles, 2.019 gallons, about 62.6 mpg.
3rd tank: 108.1 miles, 1.897 gallons, about 56.9 mpg.
4th tank: 147.9 miles, 2.935 gallons, about 50.3 mpg. BIG headwind.
5th tank: 140.0 miles, 2.710 gallons, about 51.6 mpg. Also a BIG headwind.

Just a few photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xvtJLENAqKf6RSY56
/bob

JPevey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2024, 01:58:19 PM »
I rarely check my mileage. As long as it gets me home, I'm happy. My last fuel block usually starts flashing about 110-120 miles and I normally put 2.4 to 2.8 gallons in it. Last time I checked with actual math, it was getting 41 mpg. I normally run regular and ride in a small group chasing larger displacement bikes so I am wide open at times. I could probably get 60 mpg if I rode alone at 65-70. Course mine is still breaking in at 8k.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()