Author Topic: Like 200i - bucking at low throttle  (Read 780 times)

17thuand

• View Profile
Like 200i - bucking at low throttle
« on: June 15, 2024, 08:52:10 PM »
Hello! First post here.

Cutting to the chase, I purchased a 2016 Kymco Like 200i with 3800 miles on it a few weeks back. Previous owner doesnt seem to have been the nicest to it, but I'm handy with scooters, this being my first one over 50cc and fuel injected

Anyways, starts great and runs great at speed, but if you try to slowly let on the throttle (example, trying to just scoot forward a few inches in traffic or your driveway) the rear violently shakes and bucks and will even make the rear tire screech if i keep on it. Accelerating quicker does not have this issue.

The check engine light does not blink.

Initially my first though was belt slipping, which it still could be... but at 3800 miles it should be fine, same with the clutch. Previous owner put 10g rollers in to make it take off really fast (which would make it do a wheelie - cool, but i dont need that) i swapped some 13 sliders in and it helped the bucking A LOT, but its still there...

I dont want to just throw parts at it hoping it will fix it, so here I am! Any ideas? I havent ridden it much as I don't have my motorcycle license yet (going in next week for the permit!)

Clutch? Maybe the high revving 10g setup damaged it?
Belt? Previous setup wear it out faster?
Throttle body? I hope not, appears to be unobtainium on eBay...
Motor mounts?

Any input helps! I can always try to get a video too.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:09:14 PM by 17thuand »
2016 Kymco Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Like 200i - bucking at low throttle
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 01:02:25 AM »
No expert here, but sounds like clear case of glazed clutch pads. No idea what previous owner was doing to it. But jerking at part throttle....remove belt cover, remove clutch bell, sand glaze off those pads.
One trick some use as lazy man's way to deglaze, hold brakes rev engine for few seconds. I don't like this!
Remove belt cover, do it right.
Too gentle throttle at taking off will create glaze again.
Brisk throttle at take offs, not crazy. But brisk!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

17thuand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 01:53:34 AM »
No expert here, but sounds like clear case of glazed clutch pads. No idea what previous owner was doing to it. But jerking at part throttle....remove belt cover, remove clutch bell, sand glaze off those pads.
One trick some use as lazy man's way to deglaze, hold brakes rev engine for few seconds. I don't like this!
Remove belt cover, do it right.
Too gentle throttle at taking off will create glaze again.
Brisk throttle at take offs, not crazy. But brisk!
Stig

Awesome, thanks! I will definitely get the cover off tomorrow and take a look :)

I've seen a few of your posts, love the ride man. By the way, totally jealous of your lighted trunk box, I've searched the internet like crazy looking for it  ;D maybe one day they'll make it again...

As for the previous owner, interesting guy... The scoot was his wifes, but she didnt want it anymore so he was going to turn it into "a race scooter" but threw it up for sale to see if there was any interest before he went nuts on it... he didnt exactly say what he did, but on the test ride the front wheel came off the ground! I had to fix that ASAP, I'm used to my 50cc's so I don't want a super scooter - just something that goes faster than 38mph  ;D

Weighed the rollers he threw in and sure enough they were between 9 and 10 grams, very wore out. I'd imagine the clutch could just be wore out from the high revs, even at this low of miles.
Hoping to give this scoot a new lease on life living as a cruiser / daily driver to work.

I'll report back my findings tomorrow, cheers!
2016 Kymco Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 11:34:11 AM »
Thanks.
Every so often I'll see the Bestem 929 lighted case, used, on ebay.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 01:29:28 PM »
in addition to sanding the clutch pads you'll want to also sand the inside of the clutch bell. My previous S200 (same motor as yours, but carburetted) would develop clutch glazing within a few hundred miles, even though I made sure to accelerate quickly.  If yours has 3800 miles and has never been 'deglazed'..it is time.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

17thuand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 11:28:11 PM »
The de-glazing worked! She runs like butter now.

Posted by: Iahawk
« on: Today at 01:29:28 PM »Insert Quote
in addition to sanding the clutch pads you'll want to also sand the inside of the clutch bell. My previous S200 (same motor as yours, but carburetted) would develop clutch glazing within a few hundred miles, even though I made sure to accelerate quickly.  If yours has 3800 miles and has never been 'deglazed'..it is time.

Did see the bell was pretty shiny as well, got that all sanded down too.

Thanks again!
2016 Kymco Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 11:43:56 PM »
The de-glazing worked! She runs like butter now.

Did see the bell was pretty shiny as well, got that all sanded down too.

Thanks again!
HA!
That's what's known in the world of internet advice scooter repairing as, "One in a row, baby!"

it was bound to happen  - someday

Stig

thanks for getting back to us & ride safely - it's a great scooter!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 11:45:48 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()