Author Topic: Kymco People 150 not starting?  (Read 896 times)

surfskatemoto

• View Profile
Kymco People 150 not starting?
« on: June 20, 2024, 07:37:32 PM »
Greetings fellow Kymco enthusiasts. I have been riding a 2007 Kymco People 150 for about 5 years. NEVER, ever thought I would own a scooter but a buddy gave it to me with 2.9K miles, and now it has 9K. This thing is a serious ripper off the line, pretty much undefeated on the PCH here. (honestly, most folks cant ride) Thing always starts right up and purrs like a kitten. Kymco speedo says I hit 75 mph but it's not GPS verified, and feels more like 60mph. Anyhow last Saturday fired her up, rip up the coast to check waves, blast back home, purring like a kitten. Sunday morning, first time EVER, it will not start?? Just tried to jump it and it cranks and cranks but will not start. I know, gas, air, spark. Well it's got gas, new air filter, and I don't even know where the sparkplug is for this thing? I know how to work on cars, and rebuild a 2 stroke, but never worked on a scooter before. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Go fast, and keep the rubber side down.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco People 150 not starting?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 01:03:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
We've all done it.....Kill Switch in correct position?

Key on, brake light on when brake lever pulled?
Hear fuel pump when key first on?
Spark plug, under front of seat...a panel there? Helps to remove underseat bucket to see things.
Hard to start can be valves need adjustment.....but your scooter refuses to start, so?
You do need to look at the plug, and plug cap, cheap to replace. 
Others more skilled with carbed scooters will jump in here.
(Lucky man...to get to ride the PCH! Superb road. I walked &  hitch-hiked it twice in '67. Big Sur!!)
Again,  Welcome here.
Stig
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 01:19:12 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 01:11:04 PM »
Stig hit many good points...I'd add that your scoot is likely carbureted, not fuel injected, so no fuel pump to run when key is on.

Kill switch on..definitely check spark plug, we've heard many stories of loose spark plug caps or even loose spark plugs! Give the motor a good look over to make sure nothing important has come loose or unhooked. Youtube has all kinds of videos on 150cc scooter engine maintenance (spark plugs, oil changes, carb cleaning, etc.) Good luck and let us know what you find!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 01:25:38 PM »
Youtube...search
Kymco People 150 (Exspresso) spark plug change

Easy Peasey
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

surfskatemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 03:59:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
We've all done it.....Kill Switch in correct position?

(Lucky man...to get to ride the PCH! Superb road. I walked &  hitch-hiked it twice in '67. Big Sur!!)
Again,  Welcome here.
Stig

Whelp, umm..   it's back to running like a raped ape...   Thanks for your help fellas!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 05:04:54 PM »
Whelp, umm..   it's back to running like a raped ape...   Thanks for your help fellas!
Will take a couple of pix of your kymco on the PCH as payment🙂
Be well!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2024, 02:14:54 PM »

so it was the dreaded 'kill switch'??
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 08:08:06 AM »

Wouldn't that be a hoot?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

surfskatemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2024, 11:12:46 PM »

YES! That is some Kook of the day sh1t right there! Better that then chasing down a coil, loose wire connection, etc.

Hey, does anyone know where to get a super bright headlight for this thing? Stock lamp burns yellow and dim, time for a freshie.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 12:07:28 AM »
YES! That is some Kook of the day sh1t right there! Better that then chasing down a coil, loose wire connection, etc.

Hey, does anyone know where to get a super bright headlight for this thing? Stock lamp burns yellow and dim, time for a freshie.
Some go to an LED bulb...and swear by them.
Hopefully it won't flood a poorly focused bright blue/white mess at the road and other drivers.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 08:09:35 AM »
  In my opinion definitely go with a LED bulb. I changed out my X-Town 300i lights to LED, and the difference was unbelievable. I also had a People 150 back in 2010. I didn't change that light bulb, but I remember that getting the plastics apart on it was a pain. It would be worth the effort though. There are many different Led bulbs available on Amazon or E-Bay. Once you get the plastic apart it is a plug and play job. When I had my 2010 People apart, I installed amber Bulbs as running lights in the European turn signal locations. Once you get your new LED headlight adjusted properly, you will love it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 08:12:40 AM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

surfskatemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 02:16:04 PM »
  In my opinion definitely go with a LED bulb. I changed out my X-Town 300i lights to LED, and the difference was unbelievable. I also had a People 150 back in 2010. I didn't change that light bulb, but I remember that getting the plastics apart on it was a pain. It would be worth the effort though. There are many different Led bulbs available on Amazon or E-Bay. Once you get the plastic apart it is a plug and play job. When I had my 2010 People apart, I installed amber Bulbs as running lights in the European turn signal locations. Once you get your new LED headlight adjusted properly, you will love it.

LED lamp, Thanks for that guys. Mr Mike, you don't have a brother Jonathan do you? Also, is there anyway to improve the worthless rear drum brake? Or, it is what it is. Front brake is good enough. Thanks again guys. Stig, still i owe you some pics.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2024, 02:16:11 PM »
I installed an obnoxiously bright led bulb in my Honda Helix...but I don't ride at night, so no concern with blinding others. I did it for my own increased visibility to others. Bright lights up front and a Brake Free helmet mounted led tail / brake light keeps the cagers away!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2024, 02:31:58 PM »
LED lamp, Thanks for that guys. Mr Mike, you don't have a brother Jonathan do you? Also, is there anyway to improve the worthless rear drum brake? Or, it is what it is. Front brake is good enough. Thanks again guys. Stig, still i owe you some pics.
Just factor "rear drum" into your riding habits/distances. That's what I do🙂
Stig
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 11:05:51 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

surfskatemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2024, 06:07:43 PM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()