Author Topic: Help. This piece is smoking 🚬 😡  (Read 1075 times)

gringostar

• View Profile
Help. This piece is smoking 🚬 😡
« on: July 03, 2024, 05:01:16 PM »
Hello all. I got her idling perfectly but now this piece is smoking. What's the piece and why is she smoking? 2012 Kymco agility. Thank you.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Help. This piece is smoking 🚬 😡
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 02:10:50 AM »
sure looks like your regulator rectifier...a device that converts AC power to DC power on your scoot.

will copy and paste info stolen from the internet...

Common Causes of Failure
There is a wide range of possible reasons your motorcycle’s regulator rectifier could fail. A faulty regulator rectifier could not only affect things like motorcycle values but will impact the bike’s performance on the road. One of the primary causes of failure is heat. Different motorcycle manufacturers install the regulator rectifier in different locations of the bike, with some placing the part near the radiator or other sections of the bike that impede airflow.

Depending on where your bike’s regulator rectifier is located, the part can overheat. When it overheats, the component could fail fast.

Other common causes for regulator rectifier failure involve the battery. To have voltage, the battery needs to have a reliable ground connection. If the link is bad and the voltage is faulty, this can cause the regulator rectifier to run hotter than usual. Things like poor grounding, a loose or weak battery, and a worn battery connection can all lead to regulator rectifier failure.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 01:25:26 AM »
The best thing to do is to use a multi meter and measure the voltage your stator is producing into the rectifier and the output from the rectifier to the battery.

If you don't want to do that you could buy a new one off amazon and take a chance it only needs to be replaced. I believe I posted a thread on this subject when I had electrical issues.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 07:14:22 PM »
As this reg/rect looks outside, it might be corroded inside and on its connector, causing resistance.

Cure: take apart, clean, reassamble, check for smoke
Smokes again, buy a new one and replace, costs a
few €€.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()