Author Topic: AK550: looking to buy a 2022..  (Read 665 times)

CoolBeans

• View Profile
AK550: looking to buy a 2022..
« on: July 06, 2024, 07:27:31 PM »
Hi
I’m looking into getting a 2022 AK550. What are some things I should be looking out for?

I did see an oil change video that mentioned to check/replace a 24mm oil sensor that leaks.

Also I noticed there wasn’t a 550 page…so just put 550 in the subject?

Thx

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: AK550: looking to buy a 2022..
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2024, 10:14:35 AM »
Hi CoolBeans, welcome to the forum!

Last point, yes that’s the way to do it. The architecture on the site is a bit frozen in time.

As for what to look out for, I’m sure one of our many AK550 owners will be along shortly to guide you.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2024, 03:57:40 PM »
Hi
I’m looking into getting a 2022 AK550. What are some things I should be looking out for?

I did see an oil change video that mentioned to check/replace a 24mm oil sensor that leaks.

Also I noticed there wasn’t a 550 page…so just put 550 in the subject?

Thx

Welcome to the forum. As mentioned this forum is rather frozen in time. There are several Kymco models not individually represented in the forum model specific list.

I haven't heard of any issues with the oil sensor, but I've only had my 2022 model since early November of 2021. I haven't noted any issues with any leaks. I did have coolant drip a quarter sized drop on the garage floor twice at different times a month or two apart during the first year of ownership. Both times were soon after a ride while the bike was cooling back down but not noticed until the next day. The drip was from the coolant pump weep hole that was doing its job perfectly. That weep hole is in between 2 seal bearings between the coolant pump (wet) and the alternator (dry). Seal bearings on ALL bikes, and even cars, are known to seep just a little once in a while. I've not noted any further drops since then. Nothing to worry about with that.

I also ride in some VERY cold temps as long as the road I am taking is clear and dry. I don't care what the temp is, to a point, or if there is snow/ice along the curb as long as the path my wheels are on is clear and dry. Once in a while that means the temp is significantly below zeroF (-18C). I've been as low as just below -15.7F (-26.5C) but that is as cold as we get when conditions still allow me to ride. We've had colder temps here but riding was not possible when that happened due to road conditions (snow/ice covered). That said, I really like having heated grips. When I rode in that coldest temp I was using heated gloves on a few other bikes, but I decided I didn't need to plug in with heated grips. After the first month I had my AK I noticed that the heated grips stopped heating when the temp was below about +29F (-2C). They worked great until the temps dropped down to that. Turned out the heated grips controller was at fault and I had it replaced under warranty. The new controller was a different part number so I am guessing an improved part. I haven't had issues since then and have gone riding in two seasons of near zeroF temps. I did start also using handlebar muffs when temps drop below freezing to improve the performance of heated grips to keep the back side of my hands warm (the only flaw of heated grips on ALL bikes). That allows me to wear medium insulated gloves or even lighter gloves in some very cold riding temps.

Something possible on all models of the AK 550 is that I am able to do oil/filter changes without removing any panels. Since the AK uses the same filters as on many BMW bikes I bought the BMW filter wrench that makes it very easy to get the filter off/on using my ratchet handle. I do my own maintenance. Last fall I replaced the CVT belt at the 12,000 mile mark. The old belt looked like it could still go another 12K miles but I replaced it anyway and put the old belt on my parts shelf. I replace my own tires and use balance beads instead of weights. It is a struggle to get the tire bead over the rim but I now have some extra long tire spoons to make the job easier.

If you search around the forum you'll find a few posts/threads in this sub forum as well as the Technical sub forum that I posted detailing some of the maintenance I've done. I hope those might be helpful. I also have downloaded the official service manual and color electrical diagrams in English from the Austrian Kymco main office web site. They have a lot of Kymco manuals and documents for free download in their Technical Documents section. It is helpful to have those documents even if you don't do any of your own maintenance. I have also posted links to download those from my Google Drive shared space in a few of those posts. Both documents I have are most likely originally based on the 2020 standard Euro 4 model but that is almost unchanged from what we have in the USA now. I think I've found one very insignificant difference that is not related to anything functional.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

CoolBeans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 05:25:13 PM »
Thank you Neil955i

Thank you rjs987, that’s was nice and detailed. Was that heated grip part of a recall? Or it’s just something you have to call the dealer about?

You said you didn’t have to remove panels to get to the oil filter? The video I saw he had to remove rivets behind the front wheel plastics then remove a few bolts to unhinge the plastic skid plate covering the oil filter.

Yes the heated grips are always a great option. I’m coming from a bmw c650 gt ans it has heated grips and seats

To post pictures can I just upload them here or do I need to go to a file sharing site?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 07:06:20 PM »
Yep - welcome to the forum C.B.! (love it - I use that term often!)

Yes just put AK550 in the title and other owners or those interested will read it!

"frozen in time"...? come to think of it, I have had these Levis on for 3 months!

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2024, 07:12:13 PM »
Thank you Neil955i

Thank you rjs987, that’s was nice and detailed. Was that heated grip part of a recall? Or it’s just something you have to call the dealer about?

You said you didn’t have to remove panels to get to the oil filter? The video I saw he had to remove rivets behind the front wheel plastics then remove a few bolts to unhinge the plastic skid plate covering the oil filter.

Yes the heated grips are always a great option. I’m coming from a bmw c650 gt ans it has heated grips and seats

To post pictures can I just upload them here or do I need to go to a file sharing site?

In reverse order...
Picture posting can be done directly here using the Attachments and other options link just under the reply box. But there is a severe limit to the size of any pictures that can be directly placed within a post. I have Google Photos and simply include a link to most of the pictures I want to include with a post. Almost all my photos exceed the size limitations and I'm not interested in resizing all the photos I want to post. I can post a link for an individual photo or a collection of photos as desired. Here is an example:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hw6HJ75RxAfMbXmA6

I also saw videos before I bought mine showing how to remove the plastic skid panel... or at least loosen it enough to have it drop to gain easier access to the oil filter. Then I saw another video of a Japanese or Taiwanese girl who did the entire oil change, including the filter replacement, without removing any panels at all (can't seem to find it now). So that's how I do it now. The very first 600 mile oil change I did remove screws from the right foot board and then removed the screws to be able to drop the skid panel. But then I realized that it could be done without all that trouble. The pictures I linked to just above show how I use the BMW filter wrench with my ratchet handle to remove/replace the filter. I am then able to work the filter out from that space between the panel and the exhaust pipes. The space is a little tight but it can be done and is less hassle than removing any plastic. The oil from the filter does drip onto the plastic skid plate and then into my oil pan but it is nothing that cannot be wiped off. During an oil change oil does tend to get on some parts and the floor anyway regardless of what you try to do to prevent that (true with every bike I've owned). I found I actually had less oil mess doing it this way. More contained and controlled.
Here's a link to the filter wrench I have: https://a.co/d/0emarzcu

The heated grip controller issue is not a recall that I know of. The system worked great until the temp dropped a few degrees below freezing. I contacted the dealer and also KymcoUSA head office. The head office on the east coast said they had the controllers in stock. My dealer took out the old controller and when they hit it with freeze spray it did fail. They got the replacement controller from the head office within 3 days and did the same test on the bench and it did not fail with the freeze spray test. I think the entire system was designed with the climate near Taiwan. If they designed it someplace a lot colder then it might have had no issues from the start. With my bar muffs from Kemimoto and heated grips now I have been riding in temps down to -5F (-20C) so far... but only because I haven't had colder temps around here yet to ride in. My hands were toasty warm with the heated grips set to medium heat at that temp. Like putting my hands in little heated caves. When temps are only 10 deg F below freezing I have to set the heat to low or it's just too hot.

I don't think the dealer or HQ will do anything unless you can show a fail with it. I wouldn't expect that to be any different with any brand of bike. The owner manual as well as the service manual give the error code that blinks at the left heated grip LED to indicate what part of the system is at fault. Mine called out the controller.

I have the same alias name on the BurgmanUSA forum as well as ADVrider forums (Battle Scooter sub forum) and have many posts in those that detail my experience with the AK. There are several others on the ADV forum with the AK 550 as well.

One place I have gone to for finding parts is TBSS. https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collections/ak550
They seem to continue to add more and more parts and aftermarket accessories to their pages. They also support several scooters and super scooters. I bought a set of rear brake pads from there. I have a cross reference for the Brembo front brake pads that cost half what the Kymco original pads cost but the only real difference is the brand stamped on the package (EBC FA630HH). I find those at Amazon. I also get my OEM oil filters (HiFlo Filtro HF164) as a 4 pk from Amazon for a really fair price. I check and adjust the final drive belt tension the same way Harley Davidson owners do, using a belt gauge to check deflection with 10lbs of force (also bought on Amazon). The belt is the same width as those used on some HD bikes, though a different length.

Did you ever look at the name cast into the engine block on your C650? Kymco made those engines to spec.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2024, 11:52:54 PM »
Cool beans did you get a bike yet ? I’m in Easton Pa if you’re around me let’s go ride our AK s !
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2022 AK550
2023 People 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()