Author Topic: 2024 AK 550i ABS (US model) GPS mounting options  (Read 1018 times)

Hornblower

• View Profile
2024 AK 550i ABS (US model) GPS mounting options
« on: July 15, 2024, 08:21:23 PM »
On other bikes, I've been able to use a crossbar type of mounting for GPS or Android Auto devices. Will that work on this bike? From pics I've seen, it looks like it might obstruct the view of the dash but it's hard to tell. Has anyone done that or have a better type of mount?

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 AK 550i ABS (US model) GPS mounting options
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 03:24:23 PM »
On other bikes, I've been able to use a crossbar type of mounting for GPS or Android Auto devices. Will that work on this bike? From pics I've seen, it looks like it might obstruct the view of the dash but it's hard to tell. Has anyone done that or have a better type of mount?

Personally I've had a GPS device holder on the handlebars as well as one that put the GPS just over the center handlebar clamps and also on a cross bar I added on top the dash. The absolute BEST location I've found is on top the dash. It is top center and just within your field of view without requiring you to take your eyes off the road ahead.

There are a few phone/GPS device holders available that put the holder just at the top of the dash above the instruments/gauges so as not to interfere with view of anything. Just do a  search for "Kymco AK 550 phone mount" and you should get several results for that. Here is the most common one that seems to have been favored by most AK owners who want a mount.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/For-KYMCO-AK-550-AK550-Motorcycle_1600442378034.html

I've never felt the need for one on my AK since I use the Noodoe Navigation system. I like having that in the center round display and being able to keep my phone in the left glove box plugged into the USB port... out of the weather completely. I do sometimes ride 450+ miles in a day on my trips and ride in ALL kinds of weather. Rainy or sunny, hot or cold... hot as in sometimes over 100F (up to 40C) and cold as in sometimes well below zeroF (-20C or under).
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Hornblower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 04:53:26 PM »
Personally I've had a GPS device holder on the handlebars as well as one that put the GPS just over the center handlebar clamps and also on a cross bar I added on top the dash. The absolute BEST location I've found is on top the dash. It is top center and just within your field of view without requiring you to take your eyes off the road ahead.

There are a few phone/GPS device holders available that put the holder just at the top of the dash above the instruments/gauges so as not to interfere with view of anything. Just do a  search for "Kymco AK 550 phone mount" and you should get several results for that. Here is the most common one that seems to have been favored by most AK owners who want a mount.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/For-KYMCO-AK-550-AK550-Motorcycle_1600442378034.html

Excellent info. Thanks, Bob!

I've never felt the need for one on my AK since I use the Noodoe Navigation system. I like having that in the center round display and being able to keep my phone in the left glove box plugged into the USB port... out of the weather completely. I do sometimes ride 450+ miles in a day on my trips and ride in ALL kinds of weather. Rainy or sunny, hot or cold... hot as in sometimes over 100F (up to 40C) and cold as in sometimes well below zeroF (-20C or under).

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 05:47:54 PM »
  Try this site. I've gotten GPS mounts for both my "21 X-Town GTI 300, and my new '23 People S 150i ABS from them.

https://moto-discovery.com/eshop

« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 05:52:39 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Hornblower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 11:53:32 PM »
  Try this site. I've gotten GPS mounts for both my "21 X-Town GTI 300, and my new '23 People S 150i ABS from them.

https://moto-discovery.com/eshop[/quote

Thanks, Mr. Mike

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2024, 01:48:50 PM »
Took me a little while to realize you put your comments INSIDE the quoted text. That's not so common to do. Easier to separate the quoted comments from your added comments when you type outside the quote codes.
/bob

Hornblower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2024, 01:59:17 PM »
Yes, I need to watch out for that in the future. Actually, I may have done that twice where I posted my comments inside the quote. Thanks, Bob, for pointing that out. And BTW, over the years I've always been able to spot the small number of forum contributors that actually do most of the "heavy lifting". You appear to be one of those so thanks for that!

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2024, 03:43:04 PM »
Yes, I need to watch out for that in the future. Actually, I may have done that twice where I posted my comments inside the quote. Thanks, Bob, for pointing that out. And BTW, over the years I've always been able to spot the small number of forum contributors that actually do most of the "heavy lifting". You appear to be one of those so thanks for that!

By heavy lifting you mean my bike is a bit heavier than most scooters?  ;D
/bob

Hornblower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2024, 07:43:30 PM »

Interesting possibility, Bob. I'm picking up my new '24 AK550 tomorrow...I hope. We're waiting for the shipment to arrive. I have no experience with the Noodoe system so maybe I will be able to depend on that like you're doing. if not, I have a Carpuride unit and a Garmin Zumo XT that I can mount and that's why I was asking previously about mounting options. I'll give the Noodoe a good try and see how that works out. Thanks again for your suggestions. --Ken

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2024, 11:21:38 PM »
Interesting possibility, Bob. I'm picking up my new '24 AK550 tomorrow...I hope. We're waiting for the shipment to arrive. I have no experience with the Noodoe system so maybe I will be able to depend on that like you're doing. if not, I have a Carpuride unit and a Garmin Zumo XT that I can mount and that's why I was asking previously about mounting options. I'll give the Noodoe a good try and see how that works out. Thanks again for your suggestions. --Ken

Currently Noodoe for Navigation is kinda hard to use. I can use it 'cuz I learned how when it was easier. At the end of January this year Noodoe stripped out some of the features that made it easier to save multiple routes in a list since those features were tied to the social media features also in Noodoe. Due to security issues they removed all social media connections. They did make it better to plot a route since I can now select a section of road instead of only being able to select building or house addresses. I can also still save a pre-plotted route but I have to make it and tell Noodoe to "Go" and then cancel navigation to get it to show up in the route list. Then I can rename the route as I want. It's not intuitive but as I said since I've been using it for 2 years I am able to make it work for me.

I did send feedback to Noodoe to bring back the options to name and save a route in the list without starting the route. Likely will have to wait until next year to get that update.

In November I'll run out of the free 3 years of maps that came with buying the bike. The entire set of USA maps in Noodoe will cost $17 I think so I'll be renewing my subscription to those by then. I really like keeping my phone in the glovebox out of the weather while it is charging during the entire ride.
/bob

Hornblower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2024, 11:30:28 AM »
Normally, my primary use of navigation is to enter an address so it sounds like Noodoe may do that fine. It's also helpful to be able to see a map on the screen so you know where you are and can see other possible roads of interest. What about weather? Can Noodoe check weather?

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2024, 04:08:49 PM »
Normally, my primary use of navigation is to enter an address so it sounds like Noodoe may do that fine. It's also helpful to be able to see a map on the screen so you know where you are and can see other possible roads of interest. What about weather? Can Noodoe check weather?

Noodoe can NOT do either of those things. No weather display and no actual map display. I found that using a Garmin GPS unit and also using Google Maps for navigation I ended up looking at the map display too much and not at the road like I should. That's something I REALLY like about Noodoe. It doesn't really show a map on screen but more than enough indication to follow the road I am on and how far to the next waypoint or turn. The result is that I watch the road and am getting back to my ability to read the road I am on in reality rather than on a drawn screen.

I've always thoroughly researched all the roads around the route I want to take long before I start riding. So if I want to take off on a different road than Noodoe says to take then I do that from my research before hand. Noodoe does insist that you hit every waypoint that you plot along the route so if I take a different road that detours around a particular waypoint then Noodoe insists I go back to hit that waypoint and won't continue to the next one until then. Garmin and Google Maps will let you cancel a waypoint/stop points on the fly. Noodoe only lets you do that by stopping navigation and then adjusting the planned route to go from where you are. It's not as advanced as other navigation programs but is plenty for my own needs and for keeping my phone out of the weather. I like having a clean dash area so have resisted adding any mounts and such up front.
/bob

Hornblower

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2024, 01:13:32 PM »
Thanks to suggestions offered previously, I have the GPS mount on order. I'm going with the over-the-dash style from AliExpress. My next question is this...is a connection available on the AK550 for switched 12V? If so, where is it located? I prefer not to use the USB port for this. Of course, I could run straight to the battery but that would leave power on continuously. Any ideas?

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2024, 04:01:36 PM »
Thanks to suggestions offered previously, I have the GPS mount on order. I'm going with the over-the-dash style from AliExpress. My next question is this...is a connection available on the AK550 for switched 12V? If so, where is it located? I prefer not to use the USB port for this. Of course, I could run straight to the battery but that would leave power on continuously. Any ideas?

I used a Posi-Tap connector off the Black/Green wire coming out the back of the fuse block for my switched 12v. But be careful. There are 2 Black/Green wires. One is coming off fuse D which is for the headlights, turn lights and horn. I think it was fuse 3 as labeled on the fuse block lid. DON'T use the other B/G wire which is fuse 1 for ABS IGN. Don't mess with anything related to ABS. I also NEVER use a tap off any factory wire to directly provide power to anything I add. Instead I use the tap for a relay trigger, and that relay gets power directly from the battery. This minimizes any load added to the factory systems. Important since the factory sizes wires only for the load they intend to put on those systems. Also, doing it this way allows me to power not only the LED light bar I added but also the Uni-Go trailer lighting as well without adding any noticeable load on the factory systems.
/bob

Hornblower

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2024, 05:39:18 PM »
I used a Posi-Tap connector off the Black/Green wire coming out the back of the fuse block for my switched 12v. But be careful. There are 2 Black/Green wires. One is coming off fuse D which is for the headlights, turn lights and horn. I think it was fuse 3 as labeled on the fuse block lid. DON'T use the other B/G wire which is fuse 1 for ABS IGN. Don't mess with anything related to ABS. I also NEVER use a tap off any factory wire to directly provide power to anything I add. Instead I use the tap for a relay trigger, and that relay gets power directly from the battery. This minimizes any load added to the factory systems. Important since the factory sizes wires only for the load they intend to put on those systems. Also, doing it this way allows me to power not only the LED light bar I added but also the Uni-Go trailer lighting as well without adding any noticeable load on the factory systems.

This is super helpful, Bob! Thanks! I do like the idea of tapping into a wire just for trigger purposes. You're pointing out one at the fuse block so that should be pretty straightforward. I may use an add-a-circuit fuse holder so I don't actually tap into any wires. In the past, I've done that and installed a solid state relay with the actual power coming straight from the battery. Of course, battery draw for a phone or gps is pretty small but still, I think this is a great way to go. Thanks again! --Ken

BTW, on this forum, what do you use for photo hosting? Or, can I just use the "insert image" button?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()