Author Topic: 2007 kymco s200 electrical starting issue, thought it was light controller  (Read 1835 times)

popageorgio

• View Profile
Hello

I just made my account because I have already purchased one part which I was sure was the issue(The Light Controller) but after replacing it is not.

Long story -
So I got the scooter from a friend to work on but it was not starting. He replaced the battery and the starter solenoid and it was still having issues. At first I would get lights and then when pushed the starter the lights would go dim and then the scooter would never recover from the pull of starting once or twice. So I started checking all the electrical common stuff. I got a clean ground to the battery and the battery is in good shape. I put new fuse in where they needed to go and when I started checking voltages the main plug going to the key ignition tumbler is only sitting at 11 or 10 volts. When I go to turn on the bike now i get no lights or speedometer moving when key is turned on and the bikes power continues to site below 12volts and i get no cranking from the starter. I noticed when I unplugged the lighting computer module from the scooter wiring harness and checked the main power plug to the key tumbler the voltage was at 12.7 where it most likely belongs so i assumed that was the issue and got a used one from ebay but once installed it was doing the same thing.

So short story is---

I have a s200 that seems to have a low voltage issue in the system when the key is off or on. I cleaned the ground checked fuses and battery is at 12.7v. I check the power harness to the key it is below 12 volts and the bike will do nothing when turned on. No horn or lights. Lighting computer was replaced but didnt fix anything. Is there anything you guys can think of that may cause the condition? Rectifier? Ignition ECU? or am I missing another ground some where? I checked all plugs and took off tape on half the harness to see if any melting happened but do not see anything.

Suggestions welcomed

Trying to not to not buy anymore parts because the lighting controller was expensive unless im sure that is what needs replaced.

Thanks

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
this sounds like a job for our Ruffus! ...my old S200 had a parasitic draw that I traced to the lighting conrol module..replaced it with a new OEM one and problem was still there. I solved the draw by unhooking my negative battery terminal between rides.

Sounds like you found a bad LCM, ordered a new (used) one and problem persists? Have you tried bypassing the LCM by jumping it to see if that helps your issue?

directions..Light control module – to bypass jump 4 wire plug, 2 blues            
to each other and 2 whites to each other, unplug the entire unit            
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
Pls have a look at that.....

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31637.0

Needs not to be exactely that cable but shows how our scoots depend on .

First step: put a jump cable from battery minus to motor block (this crocodile ones).
Second: jump cables from a known good or car battery to your scoot battery
Do NOT rely on batteries good outer shape or think when new its good!
Fuses: all out and pulling hard on connecting cables underneath, sometimes rotten.

Lights going dim means usually bad battery or bad ground.
ALL light issues depend on a functional RH light switch (close to throttle) then via harness to LH switch and further to indicators and main, etc.

Go stepwise from battery to connectors RH underseat frame, then to switches on your handlebar.
Somewhere voltage must dissapear.

Ignition switch is not very likely the culprit.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 08:56:51 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()