Author Topic: Mushroom plug for flat tires  (Read 746 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Mushroom plug for flat tires
« on: August 05, 2024, 08:23:06 PM »
Lots of folks use the 'sticky string' flat tire repair.
I started using this tire plugger which uses a mushroom-head rubber plug several years ago on motorcycles and scooters and a few cars.
Wife collected a screw in her Michelin tire the other day. Sensor came on the dash for her R front....24 PSI vs recommended 32.
I carry the flat tire kit in my scooters on every ride, along with a small pump. Have used it roadside twice with good results.
I also pointlessly carry a 12V mini air pump - but will never use it at the risk of flattening my battery. So, put it down as added ballast :)

Same procedure - remove the screw - ream the hole. Then seat the nozzle fully into the tire. Lubricate the mushroom shaped plug and load it into the gun. Screw the gun into the nozzle - squeeze the gun as you would a caulking gun to drive the plug into the tire by air pressure. Doesn't look possible - but it works!

Pull the gun away from the tire. Pull gently on the plug to seat the mushroom head against the inside tire wall. Trim it off and check for leaking. Reinflate the tire.
Pretty simple actually - but being old and getting stupider every year - I need the printed instructions to remember the procedure - one which wouldn't challenge most chimps.

Both of my scooters have had one of these plugs in their tires for years. No leaks.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mushroom plug for flat tires
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 08:52:39 PM »
I use rope plugs

seems legit methodology

RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 06:14:10 AM »
No spare wheel in many modern cars, including my wife’s Range Rover, so we carry something similar along with a compressor in the boot (trunk).  Not needed it… yet.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2024, 01:12:04 PM »
I never thought I'd see the day when new cars did not come with a spare tire! My current company car, 24 Ford Edge, comes with an aerosol can of 'fix a flat'...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2024, 03:09:46 PM »
no spare, no cell phone, but I have a AAA card
RandyO
IBA#9560

surfskatemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2024, 03:02:01 PM »
I use rope plugs

seems legit methodology

Thanks for that vid Randyo, i enjoyed it. I just have a ten dollar plug kit from Autozone.

Pump technology has come a long way. I bought this one here suggested in the video. There are better ones out now this size but with digital display, shuts off at desired pressure.

How do you embed a video? I'm not a fancy guy.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2024, 08:49:24 PM »
Thanks for that vid Randyo, i enjoyed it. I just have a ten dollar plug kit from Autozone.

Ryan F9 has several good motorcycling videos
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()