Author Topic: Peg dragger  (Read 1971 times)

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Peg dragger
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:23:29 PM »
I was riding my Super 8 the other day and was making a sharp left turn at the top of a hill.
The kick stand was up but hit the asphalt and made a loud scraping noise.  There may have even been sparks.
I wobbled a bit but was able to get control quickly.  There was no damage other than a scraped piece of metal at the kick stand.
Has anyone else had this happen?

blue

• View Profile
Re: Peg dragger
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
only when I for get to put it up and I take off with it down.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
Yes, people do drag the side stand on sharp left turns sometimes.

Some of the people on the forum just remove the side stand to prevent this and only use the center stand when the park the bike.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:09:41 PM »
Yes, I have had the stand drag on mine.... on both sides!

It is really best to not drag the stand.  If the road rises while the stand is dragging, the rear wheel could lose traction and you could go into a lowside slide or the stand could dig-in for a high-side toss.  Unlikely, but possible. If you lean your upper body into the turn or move your bum into the corner, the bike will stay more upright and it will lean less. With less lean there will be less risk of the tires sliding out and less chance of dragging metal.

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:01:15 AM »
man, I just don't trust the stock tires to lean the scoot over that much.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
Most tires have more grip than you would expect.  I rented a Yamaha Riva 125 in Hawaii many years ago.  It had really tiny tires, I think they were 10 inchers.  I scraped the floorboards 0n both sides.  I have leaned over my dual sport bikes far enough to scrape metal parts.  They have skinny semi-knobby dual sport tires and far more ground clearance than any scooter.  I have never had traction problems on dry pavement.  Many riders have crashed because they didn't trust their tires and just ran off the road when all they needed to do was just lean a little further.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »
It is one thing to drag the ends of the pegs on a motorcycle, but catching the metal on my kick stand is another.
I have been liking the kick stand as an option, which my expensive Vespa did not have.
I may take it off just to be safe.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
I don't have the stock tires anymore... and when I did, my stock tire were Kendas and I would trust them.

Not all of the Kymcos came with Kenda tires.  If they came with Chen Shin tires (as some do), I think I would be looking to replace them pretty quickly.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:17:10 PM »
When I have to replace my tires, I will probably not go with CST, however, they seem to be doing fairly well so far.
They grip well in the rain, which is a big thing for me.  I'm not sure what problems are having with these tires, but there is a lot of negative talk about them.
With that said, I have always thought that the general ride of the Super 8 is a bit harsh, which I mainly attribute to the suspension and hard seat.
I added foam to the seat and that helped quite a bit.
The good thing about the hard suspension is that the scoot tracks well on smooth roads.

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 05:04:59 AM »
Scraped the center stand of my Yager on a quick right turn after about a week of ownership. Scared the piss out of me, that's for sure. I went back and checked the road and it is extremely uneven in that intersection. I think I may have just hit a raised spot. That's the last time I'll gun it through a yellow turn though, I can tell you that much.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()