Author Topic: does the like 200i have an oil filter?  (Read 848 times)

micahneedham12

• View Profile
does the like 200i have an oil filter?
« on: August 21, 2024, 08:49:27 PM »
I have a 2011 like 200i and ive been changing the oil for 2k miles every 500 but me and the auto store employee were both wondering if it has an oil filter/if it does where would it be?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: does the like 200i have an oil filter?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 11:38:42 PM »
I have a 2011 like 200i and ive been changing the oil for 2k miles every 500 but me and the auto store employee were both wondering if it has an oil filter/if it does where would it be?
No, no oil filter.
It does have an oil screen and it can be cleaned every couple of oil changes.

Thing which looks like a thimble/screen. Rinse in gas, dry paper towel...pay attention to how it came out - replace the same manner.
Do NOT overtighten this - snug is very good.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 11:45:40 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 11:49:10 PM »
This plug is pretty soft metal. If you strip the hex-head trying to get it off...use grips to grab it and buy replacement kit on ebay.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

micahneedham12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 12:13:31 AM »
awesome thank you so much 🙏 if the screens dirty would that cause any issues and can it be done after an oil change or should you only before?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 12:26:54 AM »
awesome thank you so much 🙏 if the screens dirty would that cause any issues and can it be done after an oil change or should you only before?
When you pull that screen it will drain your new oil!
So, clean it next oil change will be fine.
Most of us checked the screen and removed the oil drain plug at every oil change.
But, finding nothing new in the screen - we began removing the screen only every few oil changes.
How does your 13 yr old LIKE200I  run? Don't think there are many older than yours here.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

micahneedham12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 12:45:47 AM »
also i just came to autozone cause i noticed there was a thick black substance on the tip of drain plug and the worker said thats a magnet and some kind of metal shavings being caught up, what could cause this and what does it do? Also i was wiping the oil off of the drain plug and a thin wire of metal came off that looked like it was right where the tread starts like where it ends after being screwed all the way so i figured ill go get another plug, the worker said he thinks its M12 1.5 for the size but is that accurate? I dont really know what a lot of this means or if it would cause a problem if i didnt get the right plug

And to how it runs, some days it feels fresh off the lot and some days its fueled by prayer and feels like it hates being a vehicle. The back wheel still sometimes spins on its on after being started or ran for awhile which i got a video of today, when its stopped for awhile it starts to feel really angry and shakes progressively harder and harder which a friend told me to turn up the idle screw which my grandpa showed me what that is but would that help that and is that a right turn to strengthen? One day it cut off when i was idling and that idea popped in my head and i barely turned it and it hasnt cut off since. I feel like im blowing through spark plugs wayyyy too quick and idk whats causing that like every 100-300 miles but theres been longer intervals where its fine. My grandpa adjusted the first ones gap with a knife but i had no clue what he was doing. Its been starting up fairly well lately, sometimes but not lately itll start very weak and soft but if i hold the back brake and crank it a little it soars up to healthy and good and rides great but sometimes itll get up a bit and then sound almost normal but sort of sick and usually ill cut it off and then start a few minutes later and its fine but this isnt common. I get about 60 miles per tank and i think its between 1.1-1.3 gallons im not sure if my fuel economy is healthy or not or if all the lines and tank are fine, my grandpa cut one line and put a filter in when we first got it and the gas was filthy. Sometimes it feels really weak and weird when its low on gas then really strong after gassing up but someone said thats normal. Sometimes when im full acceleration itll like micro jerk back like its trying to stop and it sounds like if the engine was a heart it skipped a beat then its immediately back to normal and strong theres been times where this has been sort of rapid or frequent but spaced out but lately it hasnt been doing that. The brakes have been feeling a little tighter lately im not sure what that means but ive been given 2 lists of maintenance to check all the main things and feel i have a lot to learn but my grandpa could probably help a lot. I think the tires are from 2012 i have no clue how to read the dates but my grandpa and others say they still look strong and ive only slid in heavier rain and only if being reckless or overly fast. One thing im curious about is how do i know the health of the transmission is it anything like an automatic car? i use regular/lowest octane gas is that good or should i use a different grade? Its currently at 4,500 miles, ive been driving it since 2,200 in January and now in the summer ive been using it a lottttttt more and really want to make it last as long as possible and feel like theres a lot i need to learn/do as its also my first ever bike

Im sorry if this is a lot at once and i appreciate any response at all this has all just been bullding on my mind since i started riding it and its been rough researching 😅

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2024, 01:10:02 PM »
line breaks and paragraphs make reading large posts like this much easier! Keep asking your Like questions, Stig is the man with the answers!!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2024, 02:17:20 AM »
I need more time to go over this...
But - FYI - the idle is set at the factory.....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2024, 09:20:49 AM »
line breaks and paragraphs make reading large posts like this much easier!

A man after my own heart Hawk.  Easy to zone out faced with an amorphous wodge of text!  Which would be shame as there are some interesting questions in there.

For what it’s worth Micah, my view on the drain plug is yes, get a new one as the thread on the old one may have started breaking up.

Also on the tyre front, as soon as you can afford it change them. As supplied, Kymco tyres are generally crap and being 12 years old won’t improve that. If you’re looking for a recommendation, then I’d say try Michelin City Grip 2s. Great all weather tyre.

I’ll leave Stig to opine on your fuelling gremlins.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 09:27:25 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2024, 10:34:12 PM »
"the right plug"
Your old plug and your new plug should thread into the same hole at the test counter in the hardware section of Lowes, HomeDepot, etc. and not be any longer!

"angry and shakes, turn up the idle screw,  and it hasnt cut off since"

OK, good.

"blowing through spark plugs"
Pocket knife gapping not working for you. Use a NGK CR7HSA, gap 0.6mm>0.7mm or better -  an Iridium Denso IUF22 or Iridium NGK CR7HIX
Do not touch the gap on the Iridium spark-plugs! Report back after using correct plug and correct gap.

The Kenda tires, when new,  on a new LIKE200i were hard, long-wearing, slippery - and of marginal quality at best. Replace them ASAP.

Some of your running symptoms might be related to a rotted, rotting, fuel line in the fuel tank. The fuel pump hangs below this short bit of rubber hose inside your tank. If the hose is leaking due to years of sitting in stale fuel it will bother your pumps ability to get the gas to the injector in the proper quantity or pressure.
See the youtube

That's enough for now.
Please separate your issues as well as you are able - and we will be happy to wade through things with you.
The LIKE200i is a very good scooter.

Hang in there - we're all is this thing together!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()