Author Topic: Kymco AK 550 2023 Stolen!!  (Read 683 times)

bgjosevski

• View Profile
Kymco AK 550 2023 Stolen!!
« on: September 03, 2024, 12:37:50 AM »
Hi Guys,

Unfortunately my Kymco got stolen this morning in NYC. I just got it two months ago and had around 830 miles on it. Color is matte blue, puig windscreen.
Someone was able to start the motorcycle! When the police ran the plates it had passed the George Washington bridge going to NJ riding.

Ben

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco AK 550 2023 Stolen!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 03:21:52 AM »
So sorry to hear this Ben. Scum like this deserve their thieving fingers to drop off 🤬

Hope you get it back or at the very least, have a hassle free insurance claim.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 11:35:05 AM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 11:44:38 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 01:22:54 PM »
Been there, had that happen. So sorry to hear this. I know the low feeling.

Did not that model have the push button start? How were they able if it did?!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 01:50:01 PM »
 :(
Been there, had that happen. So sorry to hear this. I know the low feeling.

Did not that model have the push button start? How were they able if it did?!

There is, unfortunately, a way to start this newer models without this token.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 01:55:56 PM »
:(
There is, unfortunately, a way to start this newer models without this token.

Not music to my ears Ruffus!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2024, 02:39:06 PM »
Really sorry to hear this. One more reason to make absolutely certain to turn off the ignition knob to the left off position!
Fingers dropping off won't be enough. They need to lose both hands!!

My 2022 model has the round keyless knob which has 2 off positions indicated. The "off" to the right does not really turn off the AK but only shuts off the engine and lights for refueling. The remote fob is not needed when using that position to turn off the engine/lights and the bike can be started by simply turning the knob back to center "on" position. I never leave my AK unattended when I turn it off to the right side of the knob.
The "off" to the left actually does turn off the AK and the remote fob IS needed to turn it on. But I also have verified that if my remote fob is within 48 ft in front of the bike my AK will still sense the fob and turn on. I have a RFID pouch to put my fob into when I want to make sure it cannot be sensed by the bike, like when I am camping.
That's all with MY 2022 model.

The 2023 model has the piano key/buttons. I don't know if there is a similar function with 2 "off" settings where one actually turns it off and the other only shuts off the engine and lights. Still sad to know that it was somehow started and stolen.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 02:41:53 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

bgjosevski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024, 02:46:31 PM »
Really sorry to hear this. One more reason to make absolutely certain to turn off the ignition knob to the left off position!
Fingers dropping off won't be enough. They need to lose both hands!!

My 2022 model has the round keyless knob which has 2 off positions indicated. The "off" to the right does not really turn off the AK but only shuts off the engine and lights for refueling. The remote fob is not needed when using that position to turn off the engine/lights and the bike can be started by simply turning the knob back to center "on" position. I never leave my AK unattended when I turn it off to the right side of the knob.
The "off" to the left actually does turn off the AK and the remote fob IS needed to turn it on. But I also have verified that if my remote fob is within 48 ft in front of the bike my AK will still sense the fob and turn on. I have a RFID pouch to put my fob into when I want to make sure it cannot be sensed by the bike, like when I am camping.
That's all with MY 2022 model.

The 2023 model has the piano key/buttons. I don't know if there is a similar function with 2 "off" settings where one actually turns it off and the other only shuts off the engine and lights. Still sad to know that it was somehow started and stolen.

Hey Bob,
It was the same round keyless knob. The piano keys are only on the premium which is not available in the US.
I had it locked all the way to the left, as always.

Ben

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2024, 03:42:41 PM »
Geez Ben, that's a shame ...and kind of spooky, that these pro-stealers have a way to start something as sophisticated as one of Kymco's mother ship models!

Understandably, and I don't mean this negatively - but, sitting here in rural Ohio - NYC seems like another planet!
They picked it up crossing the G.W. - do they record all the license plates, or is it a toll bridge?

That is not a happy feeling to go out and find your new ride missing!
I was knocking down $128 a month while training to be a medic when I came out to find our only transportation, a new Honda motorcycle, gone! (San Antonio, TX - 1967). My 18 yr old wife kept us alive with her waitressing job at the Travel Lodge diner.

On the Vespa forum - some Londoners have lost as many as 3 new Vespas to theft. Some have given up scooter ownership.

Was your 550 parked where you live - or at work in NYC? Parking garage? Chained?

Of course it doesn't matter. It was taken.

Truly - we feel for you!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bgjosevski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2024, 03:59:07 PM »
Geez Ben, that's a shame ...and kind of spooky, that these pro-stealers have a way to start something as sophisticated as one of Kymco's mother ship models!

Understandably, and I don't mean this negatively - but, sitting here in rural Ohio - NYC seems like another planet!
They picked it up crossing the G.W. - do they record all the license plates, or is it a toll bridge?

That is not a happy feeling to go out and find your new ride missing!
I was knocking down $128 a month while training to be a medic when I came out to find our only transportation, a new Honda motorcycle, gone! (San Antonio, TX - 1967). My 18 yr old wife kept us alive with her waitressing job at the Travel Lodge diner.

On the Vespa forum - some Londoners have lost as many as 3 new Vespas to theft. Some have given up scooter ownership.

Was your 550 parked where you live - or at work in NYC? Parking garage? Chained?

Of course it doesn't matter. It was taken.

Truly - we feel for you!
Stig

Hey Stig,
Yes they record all the plates crossing. It’s a toll bridge but only one way, coming into the city:)
Bike was parked where I live, not chained. I guess they just started it using the nfc reader.

Ben

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2024, 04:40:46 PM »
Hate to hear that and sorry for your trouble!
Unfortunately figures are rising here in Italy too. Don't know really the reason behind.
Actually we are having a good life here, but maybe its easier to steal than to work for your living?

Maybe have a look at this links below.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.rideapart.com/news/658411/rising-motorcycle-theft-italy-report/&ved=2ahUKEwirsLSi2KaIAxX7lP0HHQvMAjEQFnoECBIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0aqmSAn3zZnqmTWiElbfVi

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/scippatori-italys-famous-scooter-thieves-rob-traveler/&ved=2ahUKEwiCq5Sg1qaIAxWr7gIHHUaXMuQQFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3YPRbdx4BVvdZvrSnRbd83
Stealing 4 an hour in Italy!
1) man that Honda SH350i is a good looking scooter!!
2) my Liberty is #3 on their shopping list!
3) the young motor-bike pillion riders snatching cameras and Rolex's has been going on a long time. I was posted in the boonies, never saw Saigon, but heard a lot about this from other GI's in the 60's. They were called Saigon Cowboys. Often deserters from the SVN Army. Practically break your neck if the camera was on a leather strap around you neck!

My 65' Mustang convertible was stolen twice in Mass. Recovered in Hartford, Conn. both times. Then I made peace with the local kids in my neighborhood, via their moms. And it stopped. :)

I can almost understand why they used to hang horse thieves!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2024, 05:03:49 PM »
Ben, the only thing I could think of to help you, would be:

Considering your agreement and your state law concerning publicing license plates.

If you habe a pic of your license plate, put it in here and let members know.
A lot of forum members are joining rallies and lots of our folk is active in other forums too.
AK 550s are not that numerous and one of the members might shot you a PM.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2024, 08:06:36 PM »
What about your Kymco app? Can't you locate your bike through that? I can do it with my AK550....Also its a good idea to put a phone tag hidden on the bike. I can can also trace it through my Samsung Phone. Did you connect your bike to your phone? You should be able to locate it.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

bgjosevski

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2024, 08:37:26 PM »
What about your Kymco app? Can't you locate your bike through that? I can do it with my AK550....Also its a good idea to put a phone tag hidden on the bike. I can can also trace it through my Samsung Phone. Did you connect your bike to your phone? You should be able to locate it.

Dean

The Kymco app just shows the last location I’ve left the bike. I think it shows where the phone was last connected. The bike doesn’t have gps installed I believe.
I had an AirTag hidden inside but they have found it and most likely removed the battery.

Ben

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2024, 10:40:51 PM »
I went to my insurance agent after my Honda was stolen,
 to ask "how long do I need to wait for the police to look for it?"
He reached across his desk and handed me a check.
"Kid, by now it is a different color, or in saleable pieces."
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()