Author Topic: 2017 200i Like Should I attempt to revive  (Read 315 times)

Windwalker

• It’s a beautiful day
    • View Profile
2017 200i Like Should I attempt to revive
« on: September 08, 2024, 02:04:35 PM »
Hi 👋🏼
I’m new here and I’ve got a 2017 200i Like that’s been sitting for almost 2 years, outside, uncovered in south florida
PO says it ran pretty good last they used
Full tank of gas while sitting
She was given to me so no $ invested yet
I’m mechanically inclined and I’m ready to rebuild
Is it worth it?
Do I get new battery
Change out gas and oil
And if she shows sign of life move forward?
How do I know it’s a go to make her good or just buy new/old?
This will be my main mode of transpo
Thanks
Catch the wind
Capt Chica

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 200i Like Should I attempt to revive
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2024, 06:05:15 PM »
welcome! If you got the scooter for free and you are willing to invest a few $ in it then i say go for it! Used those will bring at least $1000, maybe up to $2000. You'll follow the same process for starting any motor vehicle that's been sitting for a few years..

new battery, drain and refill fuel tank, make sure all hoses and wires are intact and not eaten by rodents. Try to start it. You may have some questions about the fuel injection system on these scoots and the few parts that may give you trouble...others here can provide answers.

New engine and gear oil, brake fluid and check tires, those will likely need to be replaced as they are 7+ years old, if original. Check air filter. Pull CVT cover to look at belt and roller condition, as well as clutch condition. A new plug would be wise, too.

For a fairly minimal investment you could have a very nice, reliable driver.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 200i Like Should I attempt to revive
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2024, 07:02:37 PM »
CHECK the dip stick for oil!

Well, yes it'll need some attention - but first you need to know if it will start.
Who knows what condition it was in when parked!

2 years of S. Florida heat & humidity, uncovered, weren't a friend to a few of this scooter's parts.

But first:
I would drain as much of the old gas as reasonable - and add half gallon of good top-tier national brand gas.
But you'll still have the old gas between your in-tank pump and the injector. It'll be going in first - no matter how clean the gas in the tank is. If there's crud in the fuel in that line - it'll happen fast.

I'd get as much old gas out as possible. Add clean gas.

Buy a new battery - take it to an auto parts store. Match the physical size and post placement of the stock battery and buy a 12 Ah or 14 Ah battery.....not another stock 8Ah battery.
A healthy LIKE200i EFI system likes a nice strong battery!

Disconnect the fuel line at the injector, put it down into a can, turn the key on, try to start - just pumping the line to the injector free of the old gas for a few seconds.

Key off.

Hopefully - you heard the fuel pump cycle on when you turned the key on?!

(Nothing happening??
Key on, pull brake lever, do you see the brake light lighting?? No brake light on when lever pulled? - report back!)

Line back on the injector and try to start. LIKE's start best with after key on , NO throttle, let the EFI do it's thing. Then pull the brake lever and touch the start button.

You know the drill - don't over-cook the starter. Rest it between tries.
If no start after 3 or 4 tries without touching the throttle - I'd add a quarter turn and try again.

If you can't get it started......I wouldn't do anything else to it, other than replacing the spark plug.

Report back.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Major Tom

why not add gas and try to jump start from a non-running car?
we're draining gas here....and too much chance of sparking from jumper cables clipped on the battery posts
new battery in the box, replace battery box cover. safer.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 07:08:41 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()