Author Topic: Kymco AK550 parking brake issue  (Read 453 times)

laur.alex

• View Profile
Kymco AK550 parking brake issue
« on: September 25, 2024, 06:38:15 PM »
Hello all guys,

I bought teo months ago a Kymco AK550, 2018 year.All good with him and very pleased to ride it and how it looks, but after a week of town rides and since then the parking brake light is showed on the dashboard.I never ride with the parking brake on, I checked the brake calliper and nothing.The brakes are very good, but the parking brake doesn’t hold very good when it’s on and if I activate it and accelerate the scoot moves forward without blocking the rear wheel.
The guy from whom I bought it changed the disk brake and brake pads.
If you could help me with an advice on what could be and what should I do to fix it I will appreciate.Sincerely is very frustrating when the light came on the dashboard 🥹.

Thank you very much.

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Kymco AK550 parking brake issue
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2024, 10:35:16 AM »
Don't know about AK 550, but maybe att link helps... chapter 2.30.might say

https://kymco.at/pub/media/Download/Kymco/WHBAK550.pdf
« Last Edit: September 26, 2024, 10:37:29 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

laur.alex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2024, 08:06:25 AM »
Don't know about AK 550, but maybe att link helps... chapter 2.30.might say

https://kymco.at/pub/media/Download/Kymco/WHBAK550.pdf

I have the manual, but I don’t know the cause of the parking brake led on and I can’t find it nowhere.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2024, 06:28:09 PM »
I have the manual, but I don’t know the cause of the parking brake led on and I can’t find it nowhere.

The best detail in the service manual is on page 10-18. I think the switch indicating the parking brake is "on" is just where the cable comes out of the sheath. Pressing the switch should turn off the parking brake light. The lever should press that switch. It is possible the switch is bad.
It sounds like the previous owner might not have properly adjusted the parking brake after changing the pads. They might not have even used the right pads. The adjuster is behind the air filter and under the plastic on the right side (I think).
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

laur.alex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2024, 03:27:10 AM »
The best detail in the service manual is on page 10-18. I think the switch indicating the parking brake is "on" is just where the cable comes out of the sheath. Pressing the switch should turn off the parking brake light. The lever should press that switch. It is possible the switch is bad.
It sounds like the previous owner might not have properly adjusted the parking brake after changing the pads. They might not have even used the right pads. The adjuster is behind the air filter and under the plastic on the right side (I think).
Thank you for the reply.I supposed that too that the switch could be bad or some wires underneath the handlebar cover.I still investigate the problem.I sprayed some contact cleaner on the switch, but it could be something inside and must be changed, I don’t know.
Some strange thing is that after i brake several times, on the rear the brake pads make a strange noise and I think I will change them soon.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()