Author Topic: 3rd part to fail on my LIKE200i in 12 years....  (Read 244 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
3rd part to fail on my LIKE200i in 12 years....
« on: October 06, 2024, 02:45:01 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but the sergeant major and I love 'em *. (Sensationalistic posts!)

This little tachometer has been working well since I installed it in Nov. 2013.
Trail Tech 72-A00
$28.78

Today it died.....

Back in those days I loved sticking my head in the under-seat area of my new scooter and fooling with things that were working just fine without me.

I did use it to check my idle speed after changing types of spark plugs. And I'd give it a look to see what my max RPM's were after a ride.... it stored this info for a few moments after shutting down. It displays rpm while engine is running....and then engine hours with key off.

Whatever powered it lasted 11 years. The back does not come off - I tried.

I might replace it next time I'm in there doing the valves.
Simple installation.

Stig

oh yes- the other 2 parts which failed:
1) at about the 1 year mark the TPS gave up - fixed under warranty. This is an April 2012 manufactured scooter - we had reports that a few other early LIKE200i's had the same issue.
2) at @ 15,000 miles, 4 yrs ago one of the little internal clutch springs gave up - and left the rear wheel engaged even at idle.
Some winter day I'll repair that, maybe. I simply replaced it with a NOS OEM assembled clutch I'd had in my parts drawer for 8 years. We had a forum member in PNW who was employed at a dealer - he gave me a great price on a new KYMCO clutch.

None of these issues left me stranded on the road. Even with a going-flat punctured rear tire I rode it home.

What movie?....anyone?*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 02:47:33 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd part to fail on my LIKE200i in 12 years....
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2024, 02:30:08 PM »
I have 4 of those little tachs / hour meters...3 with permanent batteries and 1 with replaceable...my oldest is from 2011 (?)..

The good news is that you can re-use your signal wire. These either have a wire that stabs in the back of the tach or one that is permanent. If it's permanent you can just cut it and splice in a new one. My 3 installed ones are on a mower, snow blower and generator...I have one in the drawer that I can use for checking rpm on different machines.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2024, 06:54:43 PM »
I have 4 of those little tachs / hour meters...3 with permanent batteries and 1 with replaceable...my oldest is from 2011 (?)..

The good news is that you can re-use your signal wire. These either have a wire that stabs in the back of the tach or one that is permanent. If it's permanent you can just cut it and splice in a new one. My 3 installed ones are on a mower, snow blower and generator...I have one in the drawer that I can use for checking rpm on different machines.

Thanks Hawk,
Yeah, if I can't get the wire off - I'll cut it and use it to fish my new wire back to the spark plug.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2024, 10:32:12 AM »
I think we need a ceremony to commemorate this! That is a LONG time for a battery to last!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()