Author Topic: air filter  (Read 2847 times)

Dale4

• View Profile
air filter
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Hi, I have an agility 50 and the boss and CDI are derestricted and I'm getting about 35-38 mph. My question is if I add a freeflow air filter ,will that increase my speed or do I have to upjet the carb also? I'm only looking to get 4 -5 mph more and want to do the minimum work. Ive heard you need to change air filter,upjet carb and aftermarket exhaust.Can I just do 1 of these things or is it all or nothing?  Thank You    Dale

oswaldters

• View Profile
Re: air filter
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »
When you cut the CDI and replaced the drive boss, did you put in a larger jet?  The restricted models usually have a smaller jet (#80) than a factory version that was never restricted (uses a #82).  You need to go with the bigger jet when you do the boss and CDI if you want to see a bigger speed increase.

The free flow filter will require you to go with a bigger jet - otherwise you won't get the speed increase you're looking for.

Doing this should give you a pretty good speed boost without changing the exhaust.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:43:31 PM by oswaldters »

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
Thanks for the response. No I didnt change the jet,but when I do,which size jet should I put in with a freeflow air filter? And also  will I have to make any carb adjustments and with minimal mechanical ability will I be able to install the jet and freeflow filter myself? Thank you again   Dale

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »
Sell the 50cc and get a 150cc :)
It seems like a lot of work to get the 50cc to do what a little bigger bike can do out of the box.
Good luck whatever you do.

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
I'm not looking to buy or sell or I would'nt have posted here. I'm just looking for some honest advice on how to get a few more mph out of what I allready own. I've done a few thing allready and I'm happy with my scoot,just need a little help,that's all   Thank You

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:07:07 PM »
Knowing the correct jet size is really going to be a trial and error thing.  I don't think there is a standard answer because each scoot is different.

Probably anywhere from  #90 - #105, but that's a guess. 

You shouldn't have to adjust anything else in the carb.  The key is getting the carb out to change the jet.  Changing the jet itself is very easy, just drain the bowl and unscrew it.  The main jet is right there. 

Check out some of the youtube videos and even some of the photos posted on this forum.  Do a search and you'll see there are pics for the A-50 posted in the past.

Good luck!

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 12:34:27 AM »
TY oswald  I think I'll try to find a freeflow airfilter and start with a #90 jet and take it from there. It probably take a month or so ,but I'll post any progress.  Thank again   Dale

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:57:19 AM »
You should also look up plug chops - how you tell if you are jetted correctly.

I would see what you find in posts about other people's experience, but I think a #95 would be a good starting point.

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:46:10 PM »
''Thanks for the response. No I didnt change the jet,but when I do,which size jet should I put in with a freeflow air filter? And also  will I have to make any carb adjustments and with minimal mechanical ability will I be able to install the jet and freeflow filter myself? Thank you again   Dale''

I had to adjust my carb recently for the cold weather and it was a matter of varying the ratio of air to fuel. The winter air is denser therefore I need less of it to get the right air to fuel mixture. On the outside of (most) carbs there are two screws, one called the idle adjust and the other is the pilot screw, which is used for raising/lowering the amount of air getting to the mixture inside the carb. On my super 9, I located the idle screw by warming up the engine and turning one of the screws a quarter to half turn (out). When the idle rpm went up I knew that was the idle screw (but I already knew that because of the manual). Now , to the pilot screw. The pilot screw as explained to me works in one of two ways. It is either turned in or out to cut off airflow. My pilot screw is turned in to cut off airflow, thereby making it richer (more fuel, less air). I have heard this is the usual set-up but apparently some carbs are designed differently. You are doing this to adjust the air to fuel mixture. The pilot jet always lets in the same amount of fuel, based on the diameter of the hole in the middle of it. That is why when you change jet diameter you need to change the amount of air coming in, done by adjusting the pilot screw. When you start with these adjustments make sure you document it or you will most likely forget what you did and you will be lost, and possibly ruin your engine by running too lean. If I have learned anything on my 5 or so months pestering people on this site and generally making an ass out of myself at least I have learned this-you will ruin your engine by running lean. At least you will burn your cylinder up. Any good pit crew will document exactly what was done to the engine. I keep a small notebook for this reason in my bucket. Remember the fuel in your cylinder does two things, it burns and it cools the cylinder. Sounds contradictory but it is true. But the extra fuel is vital for cooling. Unless you like to push your bike home.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
Hi, it is also possible to locate idle screw because it is usually connected to the assembly that connects the gas throttle cable to the carburetor.
Usually it is in the middle of odd-shaped "rocker" and there is a small spring visible around/under the idle screw.
Mixture (pilot) screw is (in Kymcos) usually under the carb, it is barely accessible on my gf's A125, for example.

You are right about too much air burning the engine parts, but not the cylinder - it is the piston that usually gets burned. :)

''Thanks for the response. No I didnt change the jet,but when I do,which size jet should I put in with a freeflow air filter? And also  will I have to make any carb adjustments and with minimal mechanical ability will I be able to install the jet and freeflow filter myself? Thank you again   Dale''

I had to adjust my carb recently for the cold weather and it was a matter of varying the ratio of air to fuel. The winter air is denser therefore I need less of it to get the right air to fuel mixture. On the outside of (most) carbs there are two screws, one called the idle adjust and the other is the pilot screw, which is used for raising/lowering the amount of air getting to the mixture inside the carb. On my super 9, I located the idle screw by warming up the engine and turning one of the screws a quarter to half turn (out). When the idle rpm went up I knew that was the idle screw (but I already knew that because of the manual). Now , to the pilot screw. The pilot screw as explained to me works in one of two ways. It is either turned in or out to cut off airflow. My pilot screw is turned in to cut off airflow, thereby making it richer (more fuel, less air). I have heard this is the usual set-up but apparently some carbs are designed differently. You are doing this to adjust the air to fuel mixture. The pilot jet always lets in the same amount of fuel, based on the diameter of the hole in the middle of it. That is why when you change jet diameter you need to change the amount of air coming in, done by adjusting the pilot screw. When you start with these adjustments make sure you document it or you will most likely forget what you did and you will be lost, and possibly ruin your engine by running too lean. If I have learned anything on my 5 or so months pestering people on this site and generally making an ass out of myself at least I have learned this-you will ruin your engine by running lean. At least you will burn your cylinder up. Any good pit crew will document exactly what was done to the engine. I keep a small notebook for this reason in my bucket. Remember the fuel in your cylinder does two things, it burns and it cools the cylinder. Sounds contradictory but it is true. But the extra fuel is vital for cooling. Unless you like to push your bike home.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
Thanx, Axy. You are right, of course, cylinders don't get burned, pistons do. And I hope it never happens to me. But if it did, I can always re-live the moment by looking in my little notebook and seeing which adjustment killed the scooter.  This deserves a double emoticon. :P :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()