Author Topic: [FUEL] E10 Ethanol mixed petrol  (Read 3832 times)

grantourismo

• View Profile
[FUEL] E10 Ethanol mixed petrol
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:29:48 AM »
greeting from GT ;D

Just wonder has any one tried to add E10 91 octane to their kymco ? what is the result like ?

share your opinions  ;D

ts1

• View Profile
Re: [FUEL] E10 Ethanol mixed petrol
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
We (in Germany, France, Switzerland, ...) only have >=95 octane, Ethanol even increases octane rate.
According to Kymco, E10 isn't a problem with any of their 4 stroke vehicles.
But 2 stroke vehicles (different problem: oil has to be mixed with fuel) shouldn't use it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:53:57 AM by ts1 »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »
I am far from being an expert, but the marketing octane number claimed on gas stations is in fact RON (Research Octane Number).

For example, "98 octane lead free" means that its MON (Motor Octane Number) is in fact AT LEAST 87.

"95 octane" means MON that is AT LEAST 85.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:47:39 PM »
Most of the gas we have here has up to 10% ethanol.  It deteriorates very quickly if you let it sit.  I recommend adding fuel stabilizer if you will let the bike sit more than 3 weeks without riding it.  I have had carb problems with my KLR650 and I know several others who have also had problems with the gas gumming up.  Ethanol will also has less energy than gasoline so you may see a slight decrease in gas mileage. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:23:31 PM »
with gas prices going up this summer we better keep some kind of dry gas around never know when they are going to start saleing gas with a lot of water in it.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
with gas prices going up this summer we better keep some kind of dry gas around never know when they are going to start saleing gas with a lot of water in it.

Yesterday the prices just went up here again: now it is 1.67 US$/liter for 95 octane, almost all time high.
49 % of the gasoline price here are taxes.

p.s. Avg net salary is around 880 US$/mo.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:59:56 PM »
... now it is 1.67 US$/liter for 95 octane
Wow, that's cheap! We now have $2.x / litre, $7.x / gallon. :-\
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:01:58 PM by ts1 »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 06:22:43 PM »
Wow, that's cheap! We now have $2.x / litre, $7.x / gallon. :-\

I have on purpose quoted average salary, to put things into perspective.  :)

German average salary is at least 3x the average salary in Croatia (1800 EUR net or 2400 US$ net/mo. in Germany).

This means that gasoline is, with relative purchasing power taken into consideration, roughly 2.5x cheaper in Germany.

If it was 5 US$/l in Germany, it would be on the same price level as here... disaster, isn't it?

We also have the most expensive liquid automotive gas in the whole Europe!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:24:48 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:34:37 AM »
Families with average income belong the high 10% of society, they have "different problems".

The problem is the expected mobility (judges say a 4 hours commute for a part time job is acceptable, 5 hours for full time job, can easily result in >100km) even for simple jobs (down to the infamous 1 € / hour jobs). There a gap opening between costs for mobility and the resulting income (more and more needing social aid in addition to the job!).
The law still calculates with overall mobility costs of 0.15 € / km for working people. Not enough even for public transport.
Many working people can't comply with the official mobility expectations, becoming vilified as lazy and their social aid is refused or cut.
Heating and cooking needs energy too, becomimg more expensive from year to year.

The policiticians using the air force for travels and even for vacation with their family (!more and more every year, don't bothering about the complains of tax payers) don't care about the common population.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
Families with average income belong the high 10% of society, they have "different problems".

The problem is the expected mobility (judges say a 4 hours commute for a part time job is acceptable, 5 hours for full time job, can easily result in >100km) even for simple jobs (down to the infamous 1 € / hour jobs). There a gap opening between costs for mobility and the resulting income (more and more needing social aid in addition to the job!).
The law still calculates with overall mobility costs of 0.15 € / km for working people. Not enough even for public transport.
Many working people can't comply with the official mobility expectations, becoming vilified as lazy and their social aid is refused or cut.
Heating and cooking needs energy too, becomimg more expensive from year to year.

The policiticians using the air force for travels and even for vacation with their family (!more and more every year, don't bothering about the complains of tax payers) don't care about the common population.

As you can imagine, my country has 4 % of Germany`s population and just a fraction of its area. In Germany, employee mobility, especially for white collars is usually expected, here, there is almost no such mobility, neither requirement nor true need. Germany has both industry and service sector. Here everybody pretty much works in the area where they live, we have completely destroyed our industry in the past 20 years, rely on services and public sector and import everything.

This leads to a number of problems, as you can imagine, including exploding public debt.

One such problem is that, opposed to Germany where people rent apartments during their career, 88+ % of Croatians own their own apartment or house. This lack of mobility is narrowing your chances to get a good job, especially when you once buy your own living place. In Germany, the tenants are much better protected (contracts), while in Croatia, 99 % of all private rentals are "black market" rentals where neither landlord nor tenant is protected. It is a wild wild West...

Additional problem is that the first target of everybody here is to get his own apartment at any cost, this leads to inflated balloon of the credit (mortgage) market. Our inflation has been similar to inflation in EU since 1993, but the interest rates are roughly double (8 % interest for real estate purchases, not fixed percentage, depending on LIBOR/EURIBOR, country risk and inflation).
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 03:54:53 AM »
Germany has both industry and service sector. Here everybody pretty much works in the area where they live, we have completely destroyed our industry in the past 20 years, rely on services and public sector and import everything.

This leads to a number of problems, as you can imagine, including exploding public debt.

One such problem is that, opposed to Germany where people rent apartments during their career, 88+ % of Croatians own their own apartment or house. This lack of mobility is narrowing your chances to get a good job, especially when you once buy your own living place.

Additional problem is that the first target of everybody here is to get his own apartment at any cost, this leads to inflated balloon of the credit (mortgage) market.

Wow Axy, when you put it that way, the US is starting to sound a lot like Croatia. Withering industry, service economy, home ownership being the ideal which leads to housing bubble and decreased mobility. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say we are exactly alike, but you all may be the ghost of Christmas future for the USA if we don't turn things around.

Back on topic, I add StarTron into the tank at all fill-ups to take care of the ethanol. I also use premium(On the Yager, premium is a necessity) Shell gas. I don't want to take any chances, so it's worth the extra couple cents a tank to use the good stuff.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 04:08:27 AM »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »
Wow Axy, when you put it that way, the US is starting to sound a lot like Croatia. Withering industry, service economy, home ownership being the ideal which leads to housing bubble and decreased mobility. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say we are exactly alike, but you all may be the ghost of Christmas future for the USA if we don't turn things around.

Back on topic, I add StarTron into the tank at all fill-ups to take care of the ethanol. I also use premium(On the Yager, premium is a necessity) Shell gas. I don't want to take any chances, so it's worth the extra couple cents a tank to use the good stuff.

Aidan, it is impossible to compare a country of few hundred million and a country of four million, but you are right. USA is where neo liberal capitalism started and many countries, mine among them, have copied the overall recipe adding a few "local" ingredients. You will notice many things to be similar on socio-economic level (much more than on macro economic level). For example, we had much better health insurance ("free health insurance for all"), and it was like that since WW II: last year they introduced several levels of social insurance where only basic is free and for many things you have to participate (not fully, but 10-15 % of total service).

In good things (overall living standard, low taxes, big educational and business opportunities for those that are willing to learn), small country like mine will never reach USA standards, but we will implement those things that are bad in a blink of an eye (public debt, expensive health insurance, lack of privacy through government control, dubious political practices, corruption).
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »
Gas in America is at least 10% ethanol in most states.... year round. ALL gas in California has Ethanol. They are now offering E85 for vehicles designed for it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()