Author Topic: Flat Battery  (Read 2998 times)

luc1992

• View Profile
Flat Battery
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:57:25 PM »
Hey,
so second post in the same day, sorry about that. Anyway, i just tried to start my moped after 1 month of absence and the battery is completely flat. The horn does not even sound. In this case i guess starting it with the kick start does not even work. How would i go about charging it, i suspect jump starting is not an option to get some juice to the battery. Would i need to buy a charger?
thanks again.

axy

• View Profile
Re: Flat Battery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »
Hey,
so second post in the same day, sorry about that. Anyway, i just tried to start my moped after 1 month of absence and the battery is completely flat. The horn does not even sound. In this case i guess starting it with the kick start does not even work. How would i go about charging it, i suspect jump starting is not an option to get some juice to the battery. Would i need to buy a charger?
thanks again.

Yes, you need to charge it.
However, you can kick start it even though the battery, is empty.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

tony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »
yes you need one if its ben flat for a whal you may need a battery

luc1992

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »

However, you can kick start it even though the battery, is empty.

Hmm, i tried to kick start it but it won't start. i checked to see if i have a spark and it does not seem like i do. The spark plug is brand new so it's not that.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
Hmm, i tried to kick start it but it won't start. i checked to see if i have a spark and it does not seem like i do. The spark plug is brand new so it's not that.

How did you kick start it and check the plug in the same time (did you have a helper?)
Did you press the brake while kickstarting?
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

luc1992

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:22:34 AM »
Yes i kickstarted it the same way i have always kickstarted it. The plug is brand new, hand on the brake and kick ... kick ... kick lol.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:05:02 AM »
LOL, luc1992, how did you manage to see the spark plug, while you were kicking ... kicking ... kicking? You gots some gymnastic skills maybe? ;D

luc1992

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:48:38 AM »
Well i took the spark plug out kept it connected to the wire (im not sure what it is called) and had someone kick while i looked at it haha

Willy Run

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:23 AM »
After you remove the plug put it back into the plug wire and use the wire to hold the plug.  Hold the threads up against metal on the engine (against the head were it unscrewed, doing this "grounds" the plug to the engine.  Don't let the plug tip touch metal on the engine.  Now with the key on and brake held have your buddy kick the starter.  Watch for the spark to jump on the plug tip.  If you've got spark and have the plug in your hand during the kick you'll get a bad jolt so be sure and hold the wire/not the plug!  If you see spark good, no spark you've got ignition troubles.   If you do see the plug spark try just a very small shot of starting fluid or a little mixed gas into the plug hole before you replace the plug.  It should at least give you a little sputter.  If it sputters it confirms you have spark and may have a fuel trouble or maybe no compression? You can find very cheap volt meters these days sometime less than $10.00.  It will really help you with trouble shooting the battery problem.  The battery trouble and ignition trouble are 2 different issues. 

luc1992

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 04:23:03 AM »
Ok i will try that again with the plug. Does it need to be grounded to spark? or is it just for safety.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
Ok i will try that again with the plug. Does it need to be grounded to spark? or is it just for safety.

It gets grounded through the air (gap between spark plug electrode and grounded metal part of the scoot).
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
Yes, it has to be grounded against metal to spark.  It's not for safety. 

luc1992

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
ok thanks, i will try that when i get a chance.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »
Did you try it yet, luc1992? :)

luc1992

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »
Yes i did, and i do get a spark!
I am about to go downstairs now and try to start it by putting some gas straight into the cylinder. There might be some air in the gas lines, i figure iff the engine turns over a few times it might create enough of a vacuum to get gas flowing.
I will get back to you guys a little later with the result.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()