Author Topic: trike  (Read 5936 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: trike
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »

no I just wana add 2 tires to the back of the scoot like traning wheels to better balance the scoot.
but I want it to look more like a trike and beable to hook up some back shocks to theam.

Trikes are a deathwish.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »
If you really really just have to have 3 wheels take a look at the Piaggio MP3 series.  Got several friends that I scoot with who have em and they love em.  Compared to Kymco they are a bit pricey, but a lot safer than trying a do it yourself trike.  After 6 mph they drive and handle like a regular two wheeler, but when you stop you don't have to put your feed down.  With the two wheels in front they corner like crazy.
http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.php#/home/Piaggio MP3 400

Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
After 6 mph they drive and handle like a regular two wheeler
At any speed.
but when you stop you don't have to put your feed down.
Until the roll lock fails to engage...
With the two wheels in front they corner like crazy.
In a bad sense too. 2 brake discs in the inner sides twist both wheels to the inside. Braking in the corner gives a quite unusual feeling like walking with knocking knees.
And a tilt angle of 40° is enough, but not impressive. Every Burgman can do it, not to mention a TMax.

123talis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 04:53:08 PM »
http://www.origami-kids.com/shopping/en/260702235404/2009-kymco-xciting-500-scooter-trike.html

Check this, I think that engine is too weak to rotate two wheels at once.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
Adding a trike kit to a scooter is possible.  An MP3 by Piaggio is not a substitute for a trike. The MP3 may have 3 wheels but it is more like a scooter in that it leans and will fall over if not managed correctly.  Riders that trike a scoot typically have a medical or physical reason to add the extra wheels.  Scooters and motorcycles require a good amount of balance, leg strenth and upper body strength to manage them safely.  Riders that lose hand or leg strength, have balance issues, or have limited leg length or mobility are the ones adding a trike kit.  I have seen a triked MP3 for a gal that had very short legs. She bought the MP3 without test riding it off the dealer's lot and when she took possession, she had an incident she could not control with here short legs. She was under the impression that the locking suspension on the MP3 would make it safer and would support the bike in low speed situations.  She was not informed that the three-wheeled scooter still requires the rider to be able to place their feet on the ground to support the bike.  Now she had a damaged scoot and she was not able to ride it.  She added the trike kit to make a 5 wheeled scooter.

Her words:
Why 'trike' a MP3?

I'd like to offer you some insight into what caused the creation of the Smrfmobile and his five-wheeled status.

1. Before purchasing the Smrfmobile I had no intent or knowledge of the Tow Pac MiniTrike kit. I had reservations about the purchase due to physical disabilities and my short stature (inseam of 25" vs seat height of 30.7") Upon leaning the MP3 in the showroom I had no problems holding it up while leaning it back n forth to the right n left while flatfooting it. Therefore I purchased a MP3.

2. Upon delivery and subsequent riding I found that I did not take into account the added strain of grasping brake levers with the momentum of trying to lean a moving scoot therefore scoot got dropped. In the showroom I stupidly was tilting the scoot while holding the handlebars and not grabbing at the brake levers.

3. Upon research and talking to riding friends about options I discovered and subsequently purchased a Tow Pac MiniTrike kit.

4. Upon reflection had I known I was going to 'trike' out my scoot I would of gotten the 400cc not 250cc for better freeway performance. I've asked myself would/should I have added the kit to a less expensive scooter......NO.  Yes, there are plenty of other 250cc scooters for less than the MP3 BUT the MP3 still gives me added safety/stability/braking power because of the two front wheels and when the kit needs to be off the Smrfmobile I am able to do the removal/reinstall myself. If I had a traditional 2-wheeled scooter I would need another person every time to hold the scooter up as the kit was being removed/reinstalled. But, not with the MP3, I just lock it and can do the work myself.

5. Do I wish I could ride without the kit. SURE, but not everything in life can be exactly what you want. Did I lose something? Not really. So I don't lean, well my car doesn't lean but the Smrfmobile does a bunch of stuff for me my car doesn't and that is priceless. And for whatever percentage you might think I lose from having the kit on, well I've gained a lot more. I don't think anyone on a 2-wheeled scoot could say they transported a 6 foot long folding table on their scooter!? I have confidence in the stability of the Smrfmobile to transport my three dogs on him (all at the same time). I ride on the freeway everyday (rain or shine) and not even semi's passing me give me wind problems with moving my ride the wrong way. An 800 mile roundtrip to Los Angeles cost me less than $50 in gas. I get 42-58MPG and loving every mile on the Smrfmobile.

Look at a glass..half full or half empty... in my opinion it's completely full with two different substances.

Just like one scooter club's motto says "You didn’t find the scooter? The scooter found you!"

http://tinyurl.com/4sulbll

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()