Author Topic: So what is the brightest bulb...  (Read 4816 times)

htcneil2

• View Profile
So what is the brightest bulb...
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »
That i can put on an xciting and where can i get one? Autozone???

Can I put an "H" rated bulb in my xciting?

spr0k3t

• View Profile
Re: So what is the brightest bulb...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
I'm curious about this as well.  I was not able to find any information about the bulb ratings in the user manuals.

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:20:55 AM »
whats an H rating bulb?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 03:45:44 AM »
Don't know about the rating.  Service manual electric diagram says it's a 12v 60W/55W bulb.  You should stay with the same wattage or close to it. 

What are those new bluish headlights you see on cars now?  That's what I'd like to have in my scooter.

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:13:24 AM »
Those new "blueish" headlights are called H.I.D. lights.  They are illegal when used in the wrong housing.  The Xciting has a reflective housing where the H.I.D. bulbs require refractive or projector based housing.  You can get H.I.D. bulbs in a reflective housing IF the housing is built for the difference in bulb type.  The projector based housing allows for a very even dispersion of light projected out from a dispersed pattern light spray.  Another option you might have is something called Casper Shielded lights... however you would still require the ballast for arming the bulb with the high voltage/low wattage output.  Third option, you could get a color treated bulb toned for 6K (Kelvin) on the color spectrum rated at high wattage.

I don't know how much room is behind the front faring/assembly, but it would take a depth of at least an extra 3" to retrofit a proper projector housing in the Xciting.  A good buddy of mine owns the site HIDExtra.com.  If you want to do HIDs ("ache-eye-deze") on the Xciting, post up your information as a step by step guide... I know people have paid several hundred for a well done retrofit.

Oh yeah, bulb information I found: 12V 60W/55W H4 Halogen bulb.  There are 100W/90W bulbs available in the same mount options, but without upgrading the wiring and housing to handle the additional heat, it could potentially cause major problems to the electrical system.

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:26:02 AM »
BTW, don't ever go above 6K on the color chart for bikes.  At 6K, you are starting to lower the output of the light by adding a change in color.  The most optimum color output (i.e. for the brightest possible) you want to stick with 4.3K to 5.2K.  The closer you get to 5.2K the color spectrum starts to dip into the blue hues.  The most popular one is 6K with some of the newer "luxury" vehicles.  I'd recommend having some form of additional lighting in the 4.3-5.2k spectrum (fog lights) to help with visual perception.

I've been running HIDs in my retrofit housings on my car for about a year now.  Just be sure to do your homework on the topic so you don't cause problems with jonny-law.  Not to mention, I will personally hunt your bike down and rip the bulbs out of their sockets myself if it's not done properly  ;D

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 03:21:02 AM »
Great Post!  Thanks, spr0k3t.  That should put anyone on the right track.  Think I'm gonna save your text. 

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
used an HID kit before on my x500. Eagle Eye brand 50watts hi/lo. The beam is the same as the stock halogen bulbs but when i installed a diffrent brand the beam was all over the road.

Now I am using a PIAA  55/65 watt halogen.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 01:49:09 AM »
You know, Eagle Eye has tons of products... some of their halogen kits are labeled "HID Look" along with the corrected kelvin color match, yet they are not HID.  Perhaps that's why the change from Eagle Eye to the other HID kit didn't look right.

Here's a little something interesting that might be a huge change to how bikers look at HIDs:

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
I just use the full light (blue light on dashboard) and lowered the beam so not to annoy oncoming traffic.
It is cheap and effective.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »
Try installing an Osram all weather bulb 80/100 watts a lot brighter than the PIAA.

Installed it coz I will be going on a 750km non stop ( except for gas stops only) economy-endurance run and will be expecting fog on the mountains.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 11:48:42 PM »
The thing I don't think some riders understand is if you use a bulb that is different in construction than the OEM bulb, you are sending light to wrong places. 

Halogen and Incandescent Bulbs or HID fixtures without the correct light shape and cutoffs will blind/dazzle/irritate the traffic coming towards you and actually be MORE dangerous to you, the rider. Too much light directly in front of your bike will actually reduce your own ability to see down the road. An H4 bulb creates light in a different shape than many other bulbs.  Some create light across the bulb, some create light that is focused parallel to the bulb. The shape of the light matters not the bulb shape. The shape of the light a bulb makes is designed to only work with the correctly shaped/associated reflector.

This is important stuff and shoving the wrong bulb in your bike can have dramatically bad results.

HTCneil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 06:20:51 AM »
so a couple of things:

I took of the fairing and took out the headlight fixture and there are two bulbs there where the new position lights are now. They look like dummy bulbs, but has anyone tried to replace them and put regular bulbs to see what it looks like?

additionally, I went to autozone, advanced auto parts, and walmart and they all only sell sylvania bulbs. whats up with that? I bought the brightest H4 60/55 or whatever the ultra silverstar. i haven't taken it out on the road yet, becuase i want to know if i can put bulbs in the other two places.

All questions i have asked here are for you all to answer?

Sylvania in all my autoparts places? and the two dummy bulbs?

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
No clue why Sylvania is the only selection, around here I can get GE or generics.  I don't shop at Wally World but maybe twice a year and avoid it as much as possible.

As for the dummy bulbs, are there wire harnesses hooked up and what size are these dummies?

HTCneil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 04:56:38 AM »
dummy bulbs...the headlight fixture says they are w5w 12v5w.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()