Author Topic: bike cutting out  (Read 2287 times)

pendle

• View Profile
bike cutting out
« on: August 31, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »
Hi,have aproblem with my bike,have tried to figure it out,and think it is something to do with the fuel.Saturday morning it was running ok,started ok.I filled it up to the brim after work,and after that it was difficult to start.I am using the kickstart at the moment coz the battery is flat.After loads of kicking it came to life,only to cut out every time i rolled off the throttle,usually at a junction.Then the rev counter started going mental,the revs would rise and drop suddenly,causing the bike to stall again.Eventually after getting it started again,it just cut out completely,while moving.I did fill the tank up to the top,and having just bought the bike,guessed there might be some sh**e in the tank,causing this problem.I am hoping i have not damaged the cdi etc.Did check the charging output and this was about 14.5volts under load,its just that the battery would not start the bike,just got a clicking noise when the button was pressed,so presume the starter is knacked or the starter solenoid.Any thoughts,Cheers,...Pendle. :)
MAY CONTAIN NUTS!!

OldGuy

• View Profile
Re: bike cutting out
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
From what you've said I'd have to be really suspicious of a fuel issue. The description reminds me of a Volvo P1800 I had once that got water in the tank except for the hard starting part.

If it were me I'd drain the tank and see what comes out.

The starter problem sounds like the battery.

Good luck,
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:58:41 PM by OldGuy »
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

pendle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »
Yeah either that or dodgy fuel,a few garages round here have been known to tinker with the fuel they are selling,could just be that,spesh as it was running ok before.Its going to the dealers anyhow,let them get there hands dirty.Mentioned starter motor coz hubby had same problem on his bike eventually tracked down to a poor starter cable that incinerated itself at the bottom of snake pass,left him stranded at 4 in the morning miles from home.I am loving the bike though apart from that,is the same as your GV,but with a 125 engine,its all we are allowed over here,until passing a test....Did them there weeds go up in smoke!! :)
MAY CONTAIN NUTS!!

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:09:27 PM »
You did say that you filled up the gas tank"to the brim'- you actually may have over filled it. After it gets fuel in lines to the charcoal canister, it can saturate the canister and lines,hoses and cause an rich fuel condition. If you have a manual you can find out which is the vacuum line to the evap-system (charcoal canister-emission system) and you can pull the hose off temporarly to check if the engine will start normally. If so then you know what is wrong. This is a problem on the Vespa and Piaggio Fly 150cc scooters, if you fill the tank too full. If your interested you can go to www.modernvespa.com to see the technical issues on this .  You obviously need to replace the battery, since your charging system is working (14.5 v) you posted. Hope this helps

pendle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:53:07 PM »
All sorted,turns out it was nothing to do with fuel,it has been tracked down to a loose coil wire,so that accounts for the erratic tickover,and the rev counter going ballistic.The dealer is fitting a new starter.Was wondering if most of these starters are the same,as he has got hold of one awful quick,probably robbed it of a donor bike.The fuel cannisters you mention are not fitted in the U.k,must be your emmision laws are tighter than ours.Anyway get it back tommoz,happy days bring it on!! :)
MAY CONTAIN NUTS!!

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »
Glad it was nothing drastic. Good show!
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

pendle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
Nice one oldfella,thanks for your help,all i need to do now is pass my cbt,without pranging it,them plastics look well expensive to replace.Have got an hours lesson tomorrow,will keep you posted. Ta,catch you later .. :)
MAY CONTAIN NUTS!!

mayozaj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:16:54 AM »
There IS a recall on the 200's that deals with a wiring harness.  Mine acted like you say yours did and it turned out to be the recall thing which I had never been notified of.  Have your dealer check it out.

walkguru

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
glad you got it sorted out.
hey, hey, hey

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()