Author Topic: Manufacturing Defect?  (Read 7906 times)

Scootaloot

• View Profile
Manufacturing Defect?
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:43:56 AM »
New to forum and have not had a good experience with my new scooter to this point. Purchased a People 150 August 07,2008 from a Kymco dealer and have only ridden it 2 days since. Apparently, the timing chain sprocket was incorrect and major damage has been done. It took 2 weeks for the dealer in Virginia following 2 phone calls to tell me. The dealer where the scooter was purchased in Fl. took 3 weeks to get a manual for the scooter. I called Kymco today and could not get passed the receptionist, but to her credit the dealer called today and they have ordered the parts. I'm concerned the engine will not be as strong as a new original engine. This all happened within 300KM. Any thoughts or comments? :(

Calothrix

• View Profile
Re: Manufacturing Defect?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »
Hope you have better luck getting your parts than I am having.  Had the local dealer order an air filter for my P150 about a month ago and it still hasn't come in yet!  I think if Kymco really wants to do well in the US, they are going to have to do a better job with their parts availability.

walkguru

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »
please keep us updated.
hey, hey, hey

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »
Scooter has now been held hostage for 1 month. The dealer called yesterday with some good news that the last part on backorder will be released Sept. 18th. He will also do the 300K check at a reduced rate as the engine is all opened. Providing the part($1.99 clip) shows up I may be back on the road next week! :) :) :)

sw19

• View Profile
    • Stan Wagner's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »
Need Parts? Try these guys:http://www.columbiascooters.com/
They seem to have parts in stock that not even the Kymco Customer Service Rep could get me as quickly.
-Stan

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:16:43 AM »
Called the dealer today, (Coleman Power Sports in Woodbridge,VA) and they said they have received all the parts to fix my scooter. I then said that they would get right on it RIGHT? The dealer then said, "No". Maybe next week as the tech is on something else now. It now makes 5 weeks that they have had the scooter! It is warranty work on a new scooter and call me crazy but I would think that it would be a top priority. I called Kymco and the receptionist said Kymco doesn't have a customer service person but she would pass my name onto a tech person there. A. Kymco needs some sort of Customer Relations person. B. Kymco needs to do a better job with parts support. C. Coleman is a poor dealership an doesn't deserve your business.

sw19

• View Profile
    • Stan Wagner's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »
I've contacted these guys at Kymco with positive results:
Joe Wofford
VP of Operations
KYMCO USA
jwofford@kymcousa.com

Robin Turner
Customer Service Rep
rturner@kymcousa.com

-Stan

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 02:05:15 AM »
Thank You SW19 for the contacts!  :) :) :)

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 01:36:07 AM »
Received a call from the dealer today. Scooter was put back together but they said it still didn't sound right. Today makes 6 weeks in dealer captivity. I called  Robin Turner and went through my saga. She was going to call Coleman Power Sports today and let me know if the parts needed still are in stock or not. I haven't heard back from the dealer or Ms. Turner yet. At this point I'm so disillusioned with Kymco and the sevice/support that  I regret making the purchase. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »
I don't know if there is still a lemon law, but i would contact Kymco and tell them the dealer has had your new scooter for more than 30 days. That should entitle you to a new scooter. Contact the Better Business Bureau, they should give you some direction.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »
Lemon laws vary from state to state. Since you haven't told us where you are I'll offer this link and let you do your own research:

http://www.carlemon.com/

Good luck.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »
Thank You Old Guy and Kawzak! I purchased the scooter from Solano Cycle in St. Augustine,Fla. and the dealer involved is Coleman Power Sport in Woodbridge,Va. I called Ms. Turner again today and left a voice message but I am not hopeful of a return call. I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon and then try Mr. Wofford. I will also head down the B.B.B. avenue.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 02:21:06 AM »
I'm still waiting for the air filter for my P150 that I had my local dealer order on Aug 2!!! :'( :'(  It scares me to think if it takes this long to get a common maintenance part, how long would it take to get a part that is not routinely replaced!  Fortunately, the air filter currently in the bike is in good shape and I have been able to ride it.  Kymco definitely has to improve in this area.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
I knew we'd been through problems getting a response from Kymco before:

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=309.0

Calothrix had this to say;
Quote from: Calothrix
Looks like they answer emails a lot quicker than they return phone messages  ;D.  I received a reply this morning from Steven Oliver of Kymco USA.......

An email may be the way to go. :-\ I suggest you try this address:

admin@kymcomarketing.com <admin@kymcomarketing.com>
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:47:38 AM by OldGuy »
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

billh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »
I purchased a new 2007 People 150 from Solano Cycle in Saint Augustine FL on June 20 2008 for $2499.00 with tax and fees the total price was $2732.35 with the understand that the People 150 would be serviced and rode tested. My wife and I picked up ths People finally on July 12 2008. A service tec took the People 150 out side and advised us he was making a inspection of the People 150, we went in to pay for it. While we were making out the paper work the Tec took the People 150 back to there shop. I ask why? We were advised that the side cover was damaged and the other Tec who was suppose to replaced it had not. It took them about a hour to replace the part and they showed us the orginal part. I rode the People 150 around their lot to get use to it, I rode the People to the traffic light, my wife followed me with her car, and waited to make my right turn, When the light changed I gave the People 150 gas and started to make my turn. The People 150 lost power and I gave it more gas. It seemed to go ok but than it started to loose power and died. I was able to get it started but the same thing happend. I was able to get it started and head back to Solan Cycle but the People 150 stopped running and I could not get it started. My wife went back to Solan Cycle and they came with a vehicle to pick up the People 150 and me. The tec checked the oil and said that their was no oil in the People 150! Elayne advised me they only rode the People 150  for a road test around their lot! My wife advised me every time I gave the People 150 gas it would pour smoke out the tail pipe! I  did get my  money back and purchased a Agility 125 from my local dealer. We emailed Amada Bridges at Kymco about the trouble we had with Solano, but never got a email back.The VIN Number on the People 150 is RFBBAJBA67B202635.    

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()