Author Topic: Problem..or just cold weather?  (Read 3562 times)

Dale4

• View Profile
Problem..or just cold weather?
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:41:28 PM »
Hi Guys, I bought my 1st scooter last summer (agility 50) I put @ 400 km on it,it ran perfect.  I put stabilizer in the tank and stored it in an unheated garage 3 months ago (took the battery out and stored it in my warm house). The weather has been steadily between 10 and 25 degrees for those 3 months. Today I installed 5.5 gram roller weights and decided to try to fire it up. I put the battery in and it wouldn't start. The battery had enough juice in it but the engine wouldn't turn over. My question is,do they take awhile to turn over after sitting in the cold that long or could something be wrong? I'm not able to ride it now because of the weather but I would like to know if this is normal or should I try starting fluid? PS  it was about 20 degrees today.   THANK YOU for your responses     Dale

blue

• View Profile
Re: Problem..or just cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 01:28:16 AM »
try chargeing the battery up more  or meybe just try kick starting it, the battery is like a car battery has to have a good charge on it for starting amps. it may turn the lights on but not enough juice for starting. also yes kymcos are hard to start in cold weather if you can get the scoot worm some how then it should turn over better. I sometimes keep a 100 watt light bulb next to the oil pan for better starting. or heat up the storage place wear you keep the scoot.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »
The battery had enough juice in it but the engine wouldn't turn over.
Didn't turn or didn't start?
First would be unpleasant, second can be explained with clogged carburetor.

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
It cranked like it wanted to start but didn't turn over. I only tried twice for about 30 seconds each time because I didn't want to kill the battery.I'm hoping when it warms up the problem may be solved.Would you recommend starting fluid? A friend recommended that I tilt it on its side until gas came out of the overflow tube and then try to start it. In the summer it always started 1st try. I hope its just paranoia on my part.  Thank You   Dale

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
I know on my ag, somedays i will have to give her a shot of gas while starting...(which isnt correct either.)... That "stabilizer you used may be crap... You may need to clean the carb just to be safe...
I agree, these ags are hell to start when cold or sitting... after you check the carb, be sure to see that your valves are also adjusted proper..They will also cause hard starts.. I think you'll be ok, just a touch of paranoia..... :D ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
The battery needs to be well charged for modern electronic ignitions to work.
Do you have a battery maintainer ?

Did you check to see that the Engine Stop Switch is in the RUN position ?

The carb. float bowl is probably empty due to the gasoline evaporating during storage.
For it to refill, the petcock needs vacuum to open and allow gas to flow to the carb.
You probably didn't crank long enough to allow the float bowl to fill.
Be sure you have the throttle fully closed or there won't be any vacuum produced.

Crank 5-10 sec and then wait 10 sec before cranking again.
By the 3 time, the engine should be running.

Be sure to run the engine long enough to fully warm the exhaust and drive out all of trhe water vapor.
But don't let the engine overheat.

Check your tires' air pressures before you ride.

Wear your coat, gloves and scarf.

have fun and scoot safely

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 06:24:15 PM »
It's an Agility 50, the cheapest/simplest Kymco. No kill switch or other sophisticated gimmicks.
Should easily start with its kick starter too.

But if standing for months, the volatile contents of the fuel vapor away, leaving dirt in the small carburetors nozzles and detoriating the remaining fuel.
Also check, if the spark plug still can spark (corrosion may weaken or interrupt the electrics).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:25:52 PM by ts1 »

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
When I had my motorcycle, it took about a dozen kicks to get it running after storage. All that cranking with the starter will draw down the battery voltage some, and when it's cold, you need all the voltage can get for spark.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 03:10:47 AM »
I'm going to say it's not abnormal.  Here's how my carburated 500 was after two and a half months of storage.  I took the battery out and kept it inside the whole time.  I put it on the 4 amp charger twice and took it right back off since the meter showed it didn't need a charge.  Today was nice temp so put battery in and started cranking.  First for a full 5 seconds with no firing at all.  Then a good 20 seconds continus cranking before it started to fire.  Continued cranking since it wasn't really catching on -- so after about 30 seconds of cranking it finally was running on it's own.  Yeay!!! 

Rode it around the yard about 20 minutes, then took battery back out and locked scoot back up.  Still isn't road worthy cause I haven't changed the back tire yet. 

Edit to add:  Oh yes, I'm ashamed because I know I shouldn't have used the starter continuously that many seconds.  I hope I didn't damage it.  I think the manual says crank no more than 5 or 6 seconds then give it a rest for at least 10 seconds in between. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:40:23 AM by Hoolander2 »

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
For best results, be sure to run the engine after you add the stabilizer to your tank.
Otherwise, the fuel in the carb is still the untreated fuel and will turn to varnish after a long time.
Check your spark plug and spark cable too.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
It's an Agility 50, the cheapest/simplest Kymco. No kill switch or other sophisticated gimmicks.
Should easily start with its kick starter too.

??? ??? ???
Wonder what ag he has.......
Not cheap.... Kill switch is there
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()