Author Topic: Flat tire  (Read 5266 times)

glopezz05

• View Profile
Flat tire
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
Always looking at scooter stuff and I have seen that the older vespa scooter style, think Genuine Stella, carries a spare tire.  They do that because they have tubes in the tires unlike our scoots that are tubless like modern car tires.

Do any of you carry a kit or can of fix a flat or anything really to help if and when you get a flat?

I currently don't but i'm thinking of a can of fix a flat for when the summer comes back and I start racking up the miles.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

blue

• View Profile
Re: Flat tire
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:58:06 AM »
Use this stuff called slime its green and the clean up after is easy just wash off with water.Fix a flat is a little harder to get off. And also slim is if you run over a nail or something slime well reapir it right away
if it already in the tire.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »
I would use the standard tire plugs or newer mushroom plugs before adding slime.

Just my opinion, you are free to do as you prefer.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
I'm with tech guy on this one.. I work in a shop.. The slime or fix a flat will actually eat the rim from the inside... A plug kit works great.....I use a plug kit myself, or a patch(of course you cant patch on the side of the rd.)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »
So the fix a flat and slime have ammonia? I'm thinking of adding it only when flat then go get the hole patched.  Guess the plug kit is the best idea, it can plug larger holes that the fluids can't.

Do you use a pump or co2?

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »
Do you use a pump or co2?.............

to pump up? I use an air compresser.... But yes, a bicycle pump will get you by till you can reach more air... Never thought about the co2....... :)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
I always carry a plug kit, even an auto kit would work for a temporary fix to get you off the road. I have an "Ultraflate" device that I won as a door prize at a rally. I think they sell for around $20. You put a standard co2 cartridge inside and it has a lever that you squeeze to let air into your tires after you screw the nozzle on your valve stem. There are similar devices out there. BMW make a neat little repair kit that they used to include in the bike when you bought one. It has a little white adaptor that you screw onto your valve stem, then screw a co2 cartridge into it. I've used them both and they will work on most small holes in your tubeless tires. Carry lots of plugs and refresh your cement if it gets old. A can of fix a flat or slime can also be used to inflate your tires even if you plug them.
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Support our Troops!

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
Yeah, I was referring to the pump or co2 for inflating on the road after a puncture.

I'm familiar with co2 systems because I keep one on my bicycle when I go riding.  Wonderful thing to have.  I just wonder how much co2 I'd need to keep in order to inflate a scooter tire.

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Yeah, I was referring to the pump or co2 for inflating on the road after a puncture.

I'm familiar with co2 systems because I keep one on my bicycle when I go riding.  Wonderful thing to have.  I just wonder how much co2 I'd need to keep in order to inflate a scooter tire.

One cartridge should be enough to get you going, maybe 20 psi, but carry several if you can. If the plug doesn't hold the first time or leaks, you might need more. I carry 4 or 5. With that ultraflate you can use threaded or non threaded cartridges. They aren't too expensive and readily available. 
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »
Here is one of many links for the Ultraflate. I've used it and recommend it. They are available at several different online places. Google Ultraflate tire device. Aerostich is a well known riding gear shop.

http://www.aerostich.com/ultraflate-tire-inflator.html

Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:47:04 PM »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:45:37 AM »
they work nice but its only a temp fix the plugs stell wear down. but its good enough to get you threw tell you can buy a new tire I have seen some plugs last as long as 4 to 6 months.

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
Right on...  It is temporary fix but I'm worried about getting a flat 30 miles from home on an old fm road in the middle of no where.

I'll order it by summer and let you all know how it goes. 

Hope I never have to use it.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
Don't use the slime stuff unless it is your only option.  It makes a mess of your rim.
Do get a patch kit and a CO2 inflator.
That said, I still need to get a kit myself!!!

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
haha, great to know i'm not the only one behind on the "needs" list.

wonder about the co2 though...

I know, from experience, that Co2 dissolves through the butyle tube of a bike tire.  After about 24 hours the tube will lose about 50% of its pressure.  You have to make it home, empty the co2 then fill the tire back up with "air", which does have co2 but also o2, n2 and other gasses that will not dissolve.

I wonder if this problem occurs with the rubber of a tire.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()