Author Topic: Flat tire  (Read 5138 times)

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: Flat tire
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
I wonder if this problem occurs with the rubber of a tire.

??? ???   Ok, i give... I wonder to...
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
HAHA!  yeah, I've emailed Genuine Innovations and am waiting on their reply.

It might not matter...  You should always check the pressure after fixing a flat.  12-24 hours is sufficient to find a slow leak.

Put a little soap water on the plug site and you'll see if air is leaking from it.  if not, well, you know your Co2 slipped away...

They do sell a N2 canister...

thats supposed to do away with the problem of losing air.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
Well I finally got my repair kit in the mail.  I am ready to plug a flat, I hope.
I ordered the following Genuine Innovations kit from Amazon and it came in a few days.
http://www.amazon.com/Innovations-Cycling-TIRE-INFLATOR-REPAIR/dp/B0012TTAPY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1297792471&sr=8-9

This is a nice, small kit that easily fits in the under seat storage space.
It seemed like a good deal too.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 08:16:28 PM »
There was a thread on another forum concerning using the sticky strings available at any auto parts or department store, or the plugs that come in motorcycle tire repair kits.  About 90% prefered the sticky strings.  My own experience bears that out.  I used the plug from my BMW repair kit.  It got me home but was flat the following morning.  I once had the rear tire on my Yamaha venture repaired using the sticky strings.  I put about 140000 miles on that tire without any problems.  I know that plugging a tire from the ouside is supposed to be temporary, but many on the thread similar experiences.  Another time I had a really big hole in a rear tire.  I used 2 sticky strings to plug it.  It got me home and then I replaced the tire.  The plugs in motorcycle repair kits on the other hand have been known to fail.

As for inflating a tire.  I carry the ultraflate and CO2.  1 or 2 cartridges will give you plenty of air to ride to a gas station and add more air if needed.  On my dual sport bikes I also carry a small bicycle pump as a backup.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »
I've heard that if you use nitrogen to air up your tires, they'll hold pressure longer. Not sure if that's true, but there are some stations offering nitrogen instead of air.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
There was a thread on another forum concerning using the sticky strings available at any auto parts or department store, or the plugs that come in motorcycle tire repair kits.  About 90% prefered the sticky strings.  My own experience bears that out.  I used the plug from my BMW repair kit.  It got me home but was flat the following morning.  I once had the rear tire on my Yamaha venture repaired using the sticky strings.  I put about 140000 miles on that tire without any problems.  I know that plugging a tire from the ouside is supposed to be temporary, but many on the thread similar experiences.  Another time I had a really big hole in a rear tire.  I used 2 sticky strings to plug it.  It got me home and then I replaced the tire.  The plugs in motorcycle repair kits on the other hand have been known to fail.

As for inflating a tire.  I carry the ultraflate and CO2.  1 or 2 cartridges will give you plenty of air to ride to a gas station and add more air if needed.  On my dual sport bikes I also carry a small bicycle pump as a backup.

My new kit comes with "rope" type plugs, which I assume are similar to sticky strings. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:55 PM »
My new kit comes with "rope" type plugs, which I assume are similar to sticky strings. 

Same thing.  I have heard them called by several diffferent names.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()