Author Topic: Is their some kind of alteranator on our bikes or...  (Read 1326 times)

HTCneil

• View Profile
Is their some kind of alteranator on our bikes or...
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:48:10 AM »
Does the electronics run strictly on the battery.  The reason i ask, is becuase my low beams went out yesterday, so i had to use my highbeams.

I rode for about three hours as well as having my radio that i installed. Then little by little, it got dimmer and dimmer, and then the battery indicator light came on, and then It just died, then i had to call a wrecker at 2 oclock in the morning to pick me up and it cost me 150 dollars.

So tell me... is their no alternator, and me running on highbeams did it kill the battery?

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Is their some kind of alteranator on our bikes or...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »
i think it's the rectifier that charges the battery. How old is your batt?

Just got home yesterday from a 17hour straight ride (except for the 5mins gas stops) light was always on and was using a 80/100 watt bulb but never drained my batt.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
There is an "alternator," although it is called a stator on scooters. Its function is to keep the battery charged and to power the headlamps. It, the regulator/rectifier (and to a lesser degree, the CDI) make up the major components of the charging system.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:34:36 AM »
In general, on a modern scooter or motorcycle:

The alternator (stator) generates AC curent/voltage.
The rectifier converts the AC to DC
The regulator prevents the voltage from getting above 15 volts.
The battery stores the current until it is needed (engine off or current exceeds the capacity of the generating system).

So, in general, the battery should hold about 12.5 volts DC (no load or minimal load)
At about idle, the generating system may not make as much electricity as the engine and lighting system are using.
The generating system should generate about 14.5 volts DC at about 2500 rpm.

On many systems you can see the intensity of the headlight increase as you increase the rpm of the engine from idle.

Using a digital voltmeter on the DC mode, you can measure the voltage at the battery or electrical accessory outlet
and determine how healthy the generating system is as you vary the rpms.  No need to exceed 2500 rpm on this check.
For Safety, you had better have the scooter on its center stand, rear wheel off the ground, and the front brake applied.

The best way to test a battery is to take it out of the scooter and have an auto parts store check it under load.

Also, if you have concerns about the battery, you should check the electrolyte level and add distilled water if the level is low.
Some new batteries do not have a need to check the electrolyte (AGM type batteries).

Scoot Safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

HTCneil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:02 AM »
again, I was running my high beams the whole time. So i guess you all are saying that it could be my stator failing?

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:27:12 AM »
Running the high beam wouldn't effect an operational system. What has failed would require more information and troubleshooting. Could be anything from a loose or shorted wire to any of the mentioned parts or battery failing.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()