Poll

What is your preferred method for starting your scooter?

Kick start
2 (9.5%)
Electric starter
19 (90.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: How do you start your scooter?  (Read 3356 times)

glopezz05

• View Profile
How do you start your scooter?
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »
I have never used my kick starter but I know a lot of you do. 

What method do you use the most?
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

axy

• View Profile
Re: How do you start your scooter?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:42:24 PM »
I have never used my kick starter but I know a lot of you do. 

What method do you use the most?

DO not forget that for most of us, there is just one method. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
My Xciting doesn't have a kick starter.
Neither our MP3 and our Doodo.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
I wish my Xciting had a kickstarter.  I'd use it more than electric starter -- hoping it were well built enough not to break.

With the electric starter, I turn key on, wait for the fuel pump to stop it's clicking, then push button.  Getting my idle speed up to spec was most helpful in keeping the battery strong enough for good, easy starts. 

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
I use the starter... as I have no other choice.

But to extend this topic into usefulness... I always use the centerstand and let the bike stay on the stand until it warms until the idle goes down, the clutch releases, and the rear wheel stops spinning fast.

Do you let your bike warm all the way up before riding?  I don't like the bike pushing on me at stop lights and stalling since the rear clutch hasn't released yet.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »

Do you let your bike warm all the way up before riding? 

No, never, it is not necessary, it is counterproductive etc.
Fire up the engine, wait 15-20 secs if it is cold for the oil to flow through the engine and off I go.
However, you will often encounter people with OCD that think they are doing some good to the vehicle if they wait while the engine works in place... no reason.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »
@TechGuy

Your idle is too high. Rear wheel shouldn't spin.
Imho normal idling is 1400 rpm, cold start idling 1600-1800, clutch engages at 2000-2500.

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:09:31 PM »
Noticed in the cold recently that I need a good 15-30 seconds of low speed untill my scoot doesn't feel sluggish. 

Thats as close to warming up as I get.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
@TechGuy

Your idle is too high. Rear wheel shouldn't spin.
Imho normal idling is 1400 rpm, cold start idling 1600-1800, clutch engages at 2000-2500.

It only does it when it's cold. The normal idle is 1700~1800 per the Kymco service guide (page 1-2).  I know the RPMs are higher when its cold. It was in the low 40*F this morning but it has always spun the wheel during warm up.  When the bike settles down to a fully warmed idle, the clutch releases and the wheel no longer free-wheel spins.

The P250 has a carb and the auto-bystander that warms up and idles down to normal RPMs when the engine is warmed. The RPMs were set by my reputable and experienced Kymco mechanic. It has done this everytime I have started the bike for the past 17,000 km I have owned the bike.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:56:27 PM »
It sounds like fairly normal cold engine action to me. 
I have been riding in temps down in the 20's and it will start right up the vast majority of the time. 
The rear wheel is going to spin as the auto choke does its thing.
Letting it idle for a long time is a waste of fuel and is not great for the engine.  The air cooled engine needs air and it will cool down better if in motion.
I usually start it, get my helmet and gloves on and off I go.  When it is cold it will hesitate, but not for long.
If you feel like you are warmed up in a matter of seconds then you should have no complaints.
It has been my experience that most scooters and motorcycles take a real ten minutes of riding to truly warm up.
I have not been able to kick start the Super 8 yet...I need to figure that out.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:19:51 AM »
elec. start most the time when temps are below 35 I do kick start I do do a few slow kicks to get the gas moveing then one big kick and let it it worm up for a few the colder it is the longer the worm up.
agiltys dont run to good in the cold unless they are wormed up good.

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 01:46:25 AM »
Properly tuned, the wheel might spin at cold idle... but only so fast that you could easily stop it with light pressure.

Back on topic.  I've only started my S200 with the kickstart once.  I didn't have to, but I wanted to see how well it worked.  Glad I have electric starter.

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 01:59:29 AM »
i press teh button
scoots!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 03:04:24 AM »
The warm up kind of depends on what your first few miles of ride are like.  If you know you're going right out into busy traffic with stops and crossing at busy intersections, then you don't want any sluggishness or stalling at all! So best to really warm it up.  If your first few miles are a quiet lazy road with not much traffic, it really doesn't matter -- just go. 

Every scooter will be a little different.  Carbed vs. injected makes a difference I suppose.   

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
  • Look me up on facebook !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 03:40:35 AM »
If my life depended on my ability to kick start my scooter,    I would be a goner!    ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()