Author Topic: Tire milage on P-250  (Read 4206 times)

kawzak

• View Profile
Tire milage on P-250
« on: September 07, 2008, 02:03:55 AM »
How many of you P-250 owners have had to replace one or both of your tires and at what milage? I am curious, the stock Kendas stick like glue. That usually means that the compound is softer. I do like the Kendas. If any of you changed tires, did you stay with the same (OEM) tire or what brand did you replace them with? and how do you like them? Thanks for any info.

geezerbob

• View Profile
Re: Tire milage on P-250
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »
I stayed with the Kendas because the price was right, they were readily available from Kymco USA, and I got decent mileage on them.  Replaced the front at about 10,000 miles because it had cupped badly, which was my fault for not checking the air pressure often enough.  Got 13,000 on the rear which, from what I've read, isn't half bad.
People 250
Cortech Sport Saddle and Tail Bags
Kuryakyn Grips
Givi E33 top box
Air Hawk seat cushion
34,000 km and counting

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »
I  replaced   a  rear  at  10000km and  both  at 18000 km..The  new  set  are  AVON Viper  Strykes...Ive  done 2000km  since  mounting  and they  seem  better in  the  corners  and never  get  caught  up  in  bridge  grates  or  highway  repaving  bases..I  have  not  heavy  weather tested them  yet...

They  cost me $130 delivered  to  my  door..I  have had  Michilein  Gold  Standards On  a  BV 500 Piaggio and  didnt  see  any  advantages  to  them..
Avon is  owned  by  COOPER TIRE CO.

The miles  will  tell  the  tail
OlBull
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
Geezer  those  miles  you  put on  those tires  are off  the  Chart!! Kenda  should  make  you  there posterboy..
2007 P250

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the tires. This is good information. I hope Ican get as high a milage as you Geezer bob ! Do you do more highway,intown, or rural riding? Also have you had to replace any of the disc brake pads in that milage? thanks for the information.

geezerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Brake pads still look like new at 22,400 km, although I did have the rear master cylinder fail in Louisville in June while I was on the way to a rally in Minnesota.  Kinda hairy to drive 2,700 miles with only one brake, but I made it without incident.  It's now fixed.

I haven't kept close track of how many of what type miles I've ridden.  Adding up the longer trips, I come up with about 4,000 miles of interstate driving.  The rest was in suburbia, on back roads, or touring on the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive, with occasional trips into town and short hops on I-20 to avoid going through the middle of Columbia.

My long term gas mileage prior to the Minnesota trip was 63.  The 52 mpg average on that trip dropped my overall average down to 59, but it's creeping back up now that most of my riding is running around the immediate area.   The best I got was a little under 78 on the 105 mile long Skyline Drive with a 35 speed limit, followed by several tanks at 70 or a little better on the Blue Ridge, speed limit 45.  Running wide open on the slab yields only 48-52 mpg.  The bigger bikes do better at interstate speeds, but I more than make up for it when we slow down.
People 250
Kuryakyn Grips
Givi E33 top box
Air Hawk seat cushion
34,000 km and counting

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 01:39:16 AM »
Thanks for the information. I have been getting higher gas milage from mine, and I run 55-65 mph to work and back. As strange as this seems, I am at 1/4 throttle at 60 mph.I marked the twistgrip and the throttle housing with white out. Maybe Kymco changed the roller weights on this year model (2008). It doesn't take off real fast-but gets great milage at higher speeds (65-70mpg). When I rode it home from the shop at 45 mph or so I thought I wouldn't ever have to put gas in. Maybe I have a roller hung ? 

geezerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »
Once you hit an indicated 70 or so, more throttle yields little other than lower gas mileage.  I can hold mine in the low 70's and get 58 mpg.  The next few mph cost dearly in gas.  It isn't worth it.

Top speed on a scooter, assuming everything in the transmission is working right, is determined by the size of the pulleys and the wear on the belt.  As the belt wears, top speed will drop slightly.  As long as the weights are rolling or sliding properly, they shouldn't affect top speed, only acceleration.
People 250
Kuryakyn Grips
Givi E33 top box
Air Hawk seat cushion
34,000 km and counting

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 11:19:56 AM »
Thanks for the information. I have been getting higher gas milage from mine, and I run 55-65 mph to work and back. As strange as this seems, I am at 1/4 throttle at 60 mph.I marked the twistgrip and the throttle housing with white out. Maybe Kymco changed the roller weights on this year model (2008). It doesn't take off real fast-but gets great milage at higher speeds (65-70mpg). When I rode it home from the shop at 45 mph or so I thought I wouldn't ever have to put gas in. Maybe I have a roller hung ? 

2008? Model  Are  you  riding a  P-250 or an  S-250..
2007 P250

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 02:18:11 AM »
I have a  People S-250. I bought it about about 4 months ago. I do understand a new belt will ride higher in the grooves of the pullies-thus a higher ratio so to speak. My pullies look different than the service manual, which may be showing a regular P-250. Any way I am very happy with my scooter. As far as the take-off my wifes Piaggio fly 150 is faster from a dead stop to about 30-35mph. I really don't care. I ride both, but my 250 is a lot more confortable on a longer ride, and the larger wheels make it more fun.

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »
P250 and S250 are  tuned  different  for  torque  rises  and HP..

Ive  attached a comparison  road  test..MP250 accelerates  faster than  my  BV500 did to  30 mph after  that  is  was  a blur..Similar to  your  FLY..Its  all  about piston  mass  getting it into  motion..

http://www.justgottascoot.com/people250s.htm

P.S. Surprised  you  have the "VIBRATION" on  an S250..Shorter  frame ,different  mounting  points  and different swingarm...
2007 P250

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 01:55:33 AM »
Hey oldbull, that was an excellent article/comparrison of the People , People"S" and the Vespa. As far as the vibration goes it's noticable mostly cold and rear brake applied. It is better after warm-up 8 or so miles later. I posted about this in an earlier post. Thanks for the info.

geezerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 11:07:02 AM »
Update on gas mileage.  I've been giving the bike a little less throttle when starting off.  There doesn't seem to be much difference in initial acceleration between full throttle and, say, 1/3 throttle (about enough to run an indicated 50).  My last tank of gas seemed to last forever and the gas gauge seemed to be stuck on slo-mo.  I filled up at the same pump at the same station, hopefully minimizing pump inaccuracies, and got a whopping 75 mpg.  This was all suburban driving with 35-45 speed limits.  Drove 227 km and put in 1.882 gallons.  With the price of gas remaining high around here, I hope the mileage continues.
People 250
Kuryakyn Grips
Givi E33 top box
Air Hawk seat cushion
34,000 km and counting

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()