Author Topic: Dr Pulley Clutch & Spring Weights  (Read 4878 times)

ozzyville

• View Profile
Dr Pulley Clutch & Spring Weights
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »
Finally i could install my HIT to mu bike. But i'm not satisfied at all. When i mail to unionmaterial i realised that there was a mistake at installation. I shouldn't have put the part into pulley clutch which was in the original clutch. They told me to install with only with pulley washer and torque spring washer. I am expecting faster take offs  but not much increase in gas consumption. Top speed is not very important for me, 150 km/h  is enough. What are the weight do you offer for clutch and pulley springs ? (By the way i will add some photos later)
Thanks.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Dr Pulley Clutch & Spring Weights
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:22:15 AM »
Clutch spring: (inside) SCG2032007108-BL-12kg

Pillow spring: (outside) SP1832565105RD12.5kg

These are for strong acceleration according to instructions that came with my HiT clutch.   Start with these -- then later try other combinations. 

Yes, I had to guess about that part which holds the end of the torque spring.  I left it out.  I only put in the one washer they supplied. 

I have not used the split washers yet.  I think they would give even more powerful acceleration.  They go under the torque spring.  I would use only one at a time. 

Clean inside the clutch bell very well. The HiT pads are wider than stock pads and will ride on the old dirty tracks.

Check your belt width to see if it's getting too narrow. [ Edit: Only allowed 1mm less than new width.] 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:03:25 PM by Hoolander2 »

ozzyville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
Will this combination supply me an early actuation, because at the moment by bike moves late when i gas , thanks

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
Are you moving later because the clutch takes longer to engage or because the rollers aren't far enough out?

The HIT clutch is only going to effect the scooter between 0 and 5 MPH.  I would think it would have minimal effect on the overall fuel economy. Sliders or rollers will have a much larger effect.

ozzyville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
I am also using 31 gr dr. pulley sliders on my bike , i felt the improvement about the vibration. But as i said i couldn't feel any improvements about performance yet.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:11:09 AM »
If your HiT clutch was set up like mine was, then yes, this combination should give earlier engagement.  Mine came with 12.5kg clutch springs and 25kg pillow springs and for several hundred miles it engaged late. But as the parts broke in and became used, it began to engage earlier. Now it behaves just like a stock clutch. 

High revs at engagement is not necessarily a bad thing because the engine will be making more power at those higher revs. At first I didn't like the late engagement at higher revs, but after I got used to it, I realized that when I opened throttle wide open from a standing start, it really did take off much faster!   

With the split washers under the torque spring you could get some really thrilling take offs.

I have not tried any other combinations yet.  Mine is still set up the way it came.

Have you taken out that metal collar/holder on the torque spring yet?   

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 03:58:19 AM »
I'm experimenting now with different springs in the clutch.  Dr. Pulley's guidlines say for better take off use stiffer clutch springs and softer pillow springs.  I did this over the last two days.  Just one step for both.  I'm now getting those nice jumps off the line like I did when the HiT clutch was new. 

This is somewhat in contradiction to the recommended combination in the instructions, but then their instructions require one to do some interpreting.  :D

I'm going to cross post this under the thread on the quesstion about the HiT clutch because I want to clarify my answers.

I would recommend you use your HiT clutch like it is for a month or two until you see if it settles down, so to speak.

Even though I've given you the recommendations from Dr. Pulley instructions, I think you should disregard those. 

I just installed 14.5kg clutch springs and 20kg pillow springs and I'm getting real nice take offs. 

You have to be willing to twist the throttle more than with stock set-up. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:06:21 AM by Hoolander2 »

ozzyville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »
Hi, i'm waiting for a new shoe , because one of mine is broken at first 40Km. I explained the situtation and send photos and they send me a new shoe. Actually i don't want to twist the throttle alot for actuation. I want early actuation with low revs if it's possible.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 02:54:22 AM »
Yes, you can get that by installing softer clutch springs. So go ahead and try the combination I originally suggested.  I think we are both going to learn as we go along here.  ;)

I had a difficult job taking off springs and installiing new ones.  I think a spring pulling tool like a brake spring tool would help a lot.  I'm going to look for something like that at the auto parts store or maybe make one out of a T-handle tire plugging tool.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:53:08 AM »
Update.  I was getting so much power at take off my belt was slipping!  So I changed back up to 25kg pillow springs. 

I found just the tool I needed at Advance Auto parts.  A simple brake spring tool T-handle.  I had looked at two other auto stores before I found it there. 

It works very nicely for taking the springs off.  I found putting them back on is easy with a very small screwdriver.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()