Author Topic: Starting at cold problems  (Read 3398 times)

sticlistul

• Sex, Scoot and Rock 'n' Roll
    • View Profile
Starting at cold problems
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »
Hello again guys/girls .
At the end of last year I had few problems with my scoot ... didn't start at all and thinking its the carb I got it down for cleaning ... I cleaned it but wasn't that the problem ... the problem were used piston rings and the carbon deposits from valves . I fixed those too but now I have an other problem that I can't figure out how to undone it ... When the engine is cold I start the engine , the engine runs perfect at idle but when I try to give gas the engine starts to "drown" ... and I have to accelerate very slowly until the revs get higher and higher , then the problem is gone ... until next cold start ... I will try to upload few videos to help you with making an ideea about what I am talking about .

Here is the start :

And after about 5 min it's all normal :

PS: Outside were -4*C .
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:20:29 PM by sticlistul »

blue

• View Profile
Re: Starting at cold problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »
I have had my scoot sense 07 and I find theses scoots are very delicate in the cold I dont do any tuneing to theam unless its going to stay above 35 outside you cant get the right tuneing done unless its worm out on these scoots.I do ride in the cold and all I do is worm the shed up with a heater for about a 1 hour befor starting and let the scoot worm up good about 10- 20 min and im all good But if i was to leave scoot sit some wear to long befor comeing back home then its harder to start. I beleave its just the cold weather thats hard on thses scoots. if it was a 2 stroke you would be all good.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
What disturb me is that it was running fine before messing with the carb tunes ... and I cant find someone to proper tune it ... since I change the piston rings and corrected valves I don't have troubles at all at starting ... taking of its what bothers me ... when I leave from garage I have no problem warming up the engine ... but when I am going back home from university or work  its kinda embarrassing to wait 5 min before going .... or if I don't worm it well first 100m its a pain in the ass cuz it take off then suddenly I have no power ,the engine is at idle and I am in the middle of the road...

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »
Even though you cleaned the carb, it sounds like a dirty carb jet.
Try some SeaFoam or other carb cleaner for a tank or 2 and see if it helps.
Or clean the jets again.

Scoot safely

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
Blue & Sticlistul.....I only use the scooter during the warm months (70 degrees plus), and after 3000 miles it still wants warming up from a cold start for about three or four minutes.  If I try to move it in less time it acts in the same way that you describe.......I had thought that was par for the course, and have not even attempted to make any adjustments to the carburetor or otherwise.
If you or anyone else thinks differently...please let me know.
Cheers ;D ;D ;D
borrowed dust

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »
@MaryK : I don't think it's the jets , if it was then I would have same problem all the time not just at the start ...

@codger78 : I tell you is not normal ... for 18000 km I was just pushing the button and vrrm I was gone no worm or anything else ... I remember last winter when I didn't had time for worming the engine I filled some drop in power but that was all nothing significant ...

I hope I will figure it out and I will tell the results ... meanwhile I am happy to receive other opinions

Thanks and ride safe and beware of ice.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »
I used to have similar problems untill I started using nonethanol gas with 1 oz per gal of seafoam additive , also I switched to a NGK iridium plug . pure-gas.org. Good luck .
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:17:44 PM by juice »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »
sounds like to me you just need to have a little patience befor rideing nothing wrong with a little worm up befor take off.  Not to sound mean or anything but its a scooter not a snowmoble. Sometimes even 2 strokes need to worm up a little.   Good luck ride safe.

Bigshow804

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »
Sounds like a choke problem. Or carb needs soaking. If it has the electronic choke check the wires.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:22:06 AM »
Indeed it has an electronic choke ... but what I should check at it ... it seems to run well to me ... after about 5 min it goes off...at idle it runs well ... I don't think thats the problem ...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »
what size plug are you useing the size of the plug matters. I found out the hard way after walking scoot home.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:10:46 PM »
hmm... the spark plug is an normal NGK CR7HSA or something like that ... what happened to your spark plug? I thought at that problem too ... I will try an other spark plug just to be sure, even if it doesn't have more then 5000km , but this when it will get wormer outside... today were about -5*C and snow was announced ...so  scoot will stay in garage for a few days ...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 01:16:37 AM »
I used a plug from another scoot that is also a 50 put the size was not the same it started the bike just fine. so was thinking I was all good then on the way home after about 5 miles it fouled the plug out
befor I walked the scoot home I took the plug out whiped it clean and I was good for about anoter 5 miles didnot make it all the way home so I finished walking it. the I put the right size plug in and I was all good sense.

fjoerto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 06:54:22 AM »
What is the status on the scooter now?
Do you still have problems?  :-\

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 11:01:29 PM »
If I am reading this right, it sounds like you are having trouble with the choke on. I your idle mix richer than it was before. If when you cleaned the pilot jet you opened it a little it may be too rich with the choke on, causing it to flood the engine. Will it start when cold if you unplug your choke?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()