Author Topic: People 150 Brake light  (Read 1601 times)

normalones

• View Profile
People 150 Brake light
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
I have a 2005 People 150 and I would like to install some LED lighting in my rear trunk to act as an additional brake light, maybe even flashing. I am having a REAL hard time figuring out how to get at the *@#$ Brake light wire though. I have had the lens off of the tail light, but can't figure out how to get at the wiring. I can see the harness running to the tail light area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has a reccomendation for lights to go in the trunk I would be interested.

ob

Calothrix

• View Profile
Re: People 150 Brake light
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:02:25 AM »
I just did what you are trying to do over the Labor Day weekend.  I put a trunk on my '05 150 and I added 2 double lights to it (these lights are typically used on the sides of trailers).  I picked them up at a Harbor Freight store for $4.99 for a package of two.  They function only as brake lights and not as running lights and they are not LEDs but with a total of 4 bulbs, they give pretty good visibility.  Here is what you have to do to get to the wiring:
1.)  Remove the trunk rack (take out the 3 hex bolts).
2.)  Lift the seat and take out the 3 upper bolts and 2 lower nuts.  Lift and remove the seat/storage compartment.
3.)  Remove the black trim piece that holds the front of the 2 body panel halves together (be careful, these are both just plastic).
4.)  Remove the screws that hold the left body panel and pull up on it firmly and carefully where it meets the floor board .  You should be able to lift the panel enough now to gain access to the wiring without totally removing the panel (this is also how you gain access to the air filter!).
Note: I don't remember for sure how many screws needed to be removed for parts 3 and 4, but it should be obvious once you look at it.
5.)  The center wire of the three wire harness is for the brake lights.  I "tapped" into this and then used the screw near the gas cap for my ground.
6.)  I drilled a small hole in the trunk and fed the wires between the storage compartment and the body panel to the wiring harness.
So far it has worked really well.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Good Luck!   

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
I forgot a step.  You will have to remove the license plate holder assembly by removing the two rear nuts and two side screws.  Hope I didn't forget anything else!

normalones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »
Calothrix ,
   Thanks for the reply. I was really hoping that there was a quick way to access that wiring but I guess not. This is going to be a good Sunday project. I'll let you noow how it turns out.
Bob

normalones

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 04:38:04 AM »
Calothrix ,
   Just to double check, are you saying that the brake and tail light wires run along the LEFT (as you are sittong on it) side of the bike? I thought I saw them on the right.
Bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()