Author Topic: Beware the shutter ignition switch lock  (Read 17645 times)

bongoman

• View Profile
Beware the shutter ignition switch lock
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »
I locked mine and now the key will not unlock it. This is the shutter that slides over the ignition switch and prevents a key from being inserted.

I did use my '07 shutter key on my '09. You would think that a key that locks would also unlock. When I tried the '07 key on my '07, it locked, but hesitated before opening.

Even the techs at the local dealership do not know a solution. Service manager has to call Kymco. This sucks, that I locked myself out of my own scooter.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

Alex

• View Profile
Re: Beware the shutter ignition switch lock
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:48:00 AM »
maybe I am missing something but the little shutter is opened using a thin flat steel plate a bit like a feeler gauge which  fits in a slot in  the side and  pulls the shutter open by magnetism when you pull it out.try  a thin feeler gauge. may have to file or gring the feeler gauge narrow to get it in the slot

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:32 AM »
So, you don't have a shutter key for the '09?   

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
a couple of months after my first 500, I locked the keys under the seat - spare key was locked in glove box, the locking box in the dash. That was a trial.
2009 Xciting 500

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
maybe I am missing something but the little shutter is opened using a thin flat steel plate a bit like a feeler gauge which  fits in a slot in  the side and  pulls the shutter open by magnetism when you pull it out.try  a thin feeler gauge. may have to file or gring the feeler gauge narrow to get it in the slot

yes, it seems magnets play a large part in the process. Have not figured it out yet. Still laughing at the irony of it all
2009 Xciting 500

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »
There are two versions of the shutter key, and both of them will lock the shutter over the ignition switch. Only the right one will open the lock, so you can lock out with a key that will not unlock.

If there are any riders in Austin who are willing to see if they have the other version of the shutter key, let me know. I want to ride.
2009 Xciting 500

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 02:24:58 AM »
no shutter key..an ignition key and a little "key" which is a thin flat strip which is pushed into a slot in the side to activate the ignitionlock shutter then pulls it open again by magnetism when pushed in a second time. I dont think I have used it more than a couple of times

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 04:43:22 AM »
That thin flat key with a metal strip is the shutter key. That's what Kymco calls it, and shutter is an accurate word to describe the metal plate that closes over the ignition switch.
2009 Xciting 500

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:40:58 AM »
Just to make sure, you do realize the shutter key has to be inserted in the opposite direction to open the shutter?

ocean2mountainpeak

• 2006 Xciting 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:08:27 AM »
I read the thread of February 2011 regarding the shutter lock and the shutter lock key, but there did not seem to be a solution presented. I bought a used, oops, previously owned 2006 Kymco Xciting 250 and it did not come with a shutter lock key. And that little rascal is locked shut. Does someone sell these shutter lock keys? are they unique to each scooter? Or are they generic? Thanks.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 02:51:41 AM »
I drilled men out because of that very issue.
2009 Xciting 500

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
Where are you in Austin?  I am dropping my kids off at camp in a couple of Days outside of austin?
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 12:36:54 AM »
In considering whether a different key will be useful to unlock any given shutter, you need to consider how these actually work (this is true of my 2013 model at least). The tl;dr version is that ANY key can close it but only the RIGHT key can open it.

To close it, the key is pushing the shutter closed against a spring into the latch. If the latch holds, when the key is withdrawn the shutter stays closed. Closing it, the latch stays closed when the key is pushed in because the magnets in the key are inverted (repelling those in the latch activator instead of attracting them) and the cutout in the key us inverted so even if the magnets were right the latch is being held closed. (this feature allows inverting the magnets in the key to be a valid new combination - rather than allowing a wrong key to open it just by being inserted in the "close" orientation) All that is needed to close it is to insert a key in the "close" orientation and push it til it clicks - ANY shutter key will work.

To open it, you need three things to be true:
1: The magnet pattern in the key matches that in the latch.
2: the key is inserted with the cutout uppermost
3: the key is inserted far enough that you can feel the spring pressure, allowing the magnetic tumblers to release and open the latch.
If all of these three things happen the latch releases and as you withdraw the key the spring opens the shutter. You need the right key for your lock to satisfy #1, there are several numbered variants. You need the key to be in the right orientation (silver side up) to satisfy #2. #3 is just a matter of pushing it far enough before withdrawing it. Show me a guy on this forum that cant do that :)

When taking delivery of a new bike, the key ring has a tab on it giving the right security shutter key number, with that you can order a new replacement that matches your lock from Kymco. If you dont have a record of the number they might be able to look up the right one from the VIN. If not then you're SOL.

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 06:21:35 AM »
I screwed with mine today.  Big mistake it would not open. I was cursing and laughing at the same time. I bought some compressed air.  The stuff you use to dust electronics. Scoot is dirty been outside for a while.  Dusted cleaned and fiddled with the shutter and voilia it opened.

Not eF$%#% with that thing again. 

Bongoman order another one from the dealer.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »
Hi Big Orange, I am in San Antonio now, and getting ready for the North Texas Lakes scooter rally this weekend: June 12.
2009 Xciting 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()