Author Topic: Helmet's Full Face or Other  (Read 7444 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Helmet's Full Face or Other
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 02:38:22 AM »
If you did you'd be wearing a 1 1/4 face.  ;)

Whisper

• View Profile
No matter what you wear
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »
  As long as you like the helmet and it suits you, that is the best helmet - Because you'll actually WEAR it!

However, no matter what helmet you buy - Consider this piece of safety equipment:

http://www.helmet-stickers.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2492

It is simply a sticker that say if the rider is injured DO NOT remove the helmet.  You see, most people seem to think that when they find you sprawled out on the road, they need to remove your helmet 'so they can breathe!'.  Usually, they forget to undo your chinstrap and try unscrewing the helmet, leading to neck injury.

It is TOTALLY worth the buck.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:51 PM »
I have tried a few types of helmets, but prefer the full face for comfort and protection.
If you crash with one of those half helmets, you will likely hurt your face.
If you just want to wear a scull cap helmet then you are asking for trouble.
Make sure that the helmet is DOT approved at least.
Comfort is key.  I have a big head and I had to get an XXL helmet with XL cheek pads to finally make a helmet that doesn't hurt my forehead.
I must be part Neanderthal.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 08:40:57 AM »
I have tried a few types of helmets, but prefer the full face for comfort and protection.
If you crash with one of those half helmets, you will likely hurt your face.
If you just want to wear a scull cap helmet then you are asking for trouble.
Make sure that the helmet is DOT approved at least.
Comfort is key.  I have a big head and I had to get an XXL helmet with XL cheek pads to finally make a helmet that doesn't hurt my forehead.
I must be part Neanderthal.

;D :D But, think of it this way: for sure there has to be some brain inside!!! :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »
get as much helmet as you can buy. 

Just crashed and there are scrapes all over my front screen.  scrape on my chin cause I don't have a full face.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »
There was a study (German I believe) on impacts to the head and face from motorcycle crashes (someone had posted the illustrations earlier). The study showed that the majority of impacts are on the front of the face and chin. Personally, I like my jaw and teeth. I recently cracked a tooth on a piece of gristle from a slice of sausage. I may need a root canal, and its difficult to chew on one side of my mouth. I figure that's nothing compared to having my jaw shattered and teeth broken.

I'd say go full face. Try different types to make sure you can hear well. I have no problems hearing on mine -- sirens, horns, etc. My wife just needs to speak up when we're riding together, but that's just to he heard over the sound of the wind. I see too many riders around Philly (PA has no helmet law -- go figure) riding motorcycles and scooters without a helmet, or even a brain bucket, in flip flops or sandals. I figure they're single or without an immediate family to be taking such risk.

In colder weather the full face protects you from the cold and wind. Can't imagine doing my commute in anything else.

-Wolf

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
The advantage of a helmet is obvious in a crash, and more helmet is better, but just riding down the road and getting whacked in the face by a kamikazi bug or sand or pebbles  is no fun either. A helmet that covers not just your head but your face too is the way to go.

hexnut

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
-----------
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:00:43 PM by hexnut »

NewKymcoFan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 11:07:08 PM »
Lol loved that second link.  That super funny.  Wonder if she did that on purpose for comfort or if she is just totally clueless.  Was not able to access the second one, blocked on work network.  Thanks for the laugh hexnut!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 05:29:57 AM »
I posted this over in "riding gear" too.  I ordered one last night from motorcycle-superstore.com.  An AFX FX-37 Dual Sport.  A cheap helmet but has features like the sun visor I wanted.    I'd been thinking about getting a full face anyway, but after seeing glopezz's crash pictures, those were enough to make me go for it.  $106 on sale. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
I posted this over in "riding gear" too.  I ordered one last night from motorcycle-superstore.com.  An AFX FX-37 Dual Sport.  A cheap helmet but has features like the sun visor I wanted.    I'd been thinking about getting a full face anyway, but after seeing glopezz's crash pictures, those were enough to make me go for it.  $106 on sale. 

Those AFX FX-37 have have a pretty unusual fit.  A lot of people , including me, just don't fit into them.  Also, they tend to run a size small.  If you have a short and wide head, it will probably fit OK.  If it does fit, it's a good helmet for the money.  One dissadvange to dual sport helmets like this one is they tend to be noisy and the visor tends to catch the wind at higher speeds. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
It looks as though it's made by the same company (probably Chinese) that made my $20 ebay helmet, and distributed by AFX.  Yes, that helmet fit weird at first but broke in to my head after a couple months and is now comfortable.  The wind in the visor isn't an issue behind my windshield.   ;)  And yes, even that visor is only marginally useful but I sure like it better than none.  I'll report on all this when I get it. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
I tried on the AFX but there was no way it would have ever fit right....it wasn't even close.  If it had fit, I would have bought it.  Some people also complained about distortion in the visor but it seemed to be real minor to me.  It's a common problem with several of the dual sport helmets. 

I hope yours works out for you.  I do like the way it looks and the price is right.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
Fulmer D4 full-face. MSRP (solid colors) = $89.95. Awesome helmet.

The trick is finding a dealer who will sell at MSRP. Most dealers jack 'em up, 'cause they're WAY too reasonably priced compared to other lines.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
ROCC 620 flip helmet, sold by Lidl (German supermarket) with spare visor and additional spare cushions for collar, cheek and ears. 5 years guarantee for spare parts. Nearly unbeatable price: 59.95€ = $83.33
http://bikercase.de/picture/buese_2010/01-Helme/9620Szg.png
But of course a Schuberth helmet (used by Michael Schumacher & Co) is much better.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()