Author Topic: Scratches and then there are scratches  (Read 847 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Scratches and then there are scratches
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
General Discussion therefore "scratches".... I had some minor scratches on my truck and even these little ones bother me. So, I had taken the bottle of Scratch Doctor and some rags to work being several worker's were also interested. Cleaned the area, shook the bottle (hard) and rubbed it on with a soft rag. Left it dry several minutes, rubbed it off and minor scratches...gone. Recommended to use the same brand polish/wax over the same area...will do later. Now then there are SCRATCHES (Large Ones), well, I have no experience with that yet other than touch up paint if deep. Has anyone used the type of scratch filler that can be used on any color? Don't know what the name is but heard of it? Don't know if permitted to use the name of the scratch doctor here, Guess I'll be told if not....Nu-Finish. Further, I was told not to spray the black side-wall tires with Blacking due to any of it spraying over to the road gripping rubber due to possible slippage. Anyone use anything Special on the Black Plastic /Vinyl to clean and blacken without too much shine to it? All in preparation for Scooter Time!

spr0k3t

• View Profile
Re: Scratches and then there are scratches
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
Has anyone used the type of scratch filler that can be used on any color? Don't know what the name is but heard of it? Don't know if permitted to use the name of the scratch doctor here, Guess I'll be told if not....Nu-Finish. Further, I was told not to spray the black side-wall tires with Blacking due to any of it spraying over to the road gripping rubber due to possible slippage.

For most scratches, I've used a rubbing compound along with a low rev buffer.  Most paint has a clear coat that when heated up seals up the deeper scratches.  If you have never used a buffer on vehicle paint before, be careful as it could burn the paint right off.  Don't ever use a tire shine, especially on a bike.  Your best option is to use a mild soap and brush to clean the tires and sidewalls.  Something called centrifugal force could shove the wet look goop beyond the wall and on to the grippy part of the tire... eventually making any motorcycle a squidtrap.  Not to mention, these carbon reactive compound enhancers can make tires hard and brittle over time.  Last thing you want on any tire is "rot".

Anyone use anything Special on the Black Plastic /Vinyl to clean and blacken without too much shine to it? All in preparation for Scooter Time!

Mother's Back to Black is some of the best stuff I've found for fading black pieces.  For most of my other detailing, I generally use Zaino products.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
I tried the "Back to Black" and thought it was just so-so.  I found a Maguires product at WalMart which I like better.  Think it's called Interior Shine.  It does stay kind of wet for a day or two so it will collect dust during that time but it's an easy job to just wipe over with damp paper towel to get clean again.  Edit: I don't spray the product directly on the scooter, but turn away and spray on a paper towel, then wipe on.

I never liked the tire shine craze because I could see right away that it's going to collect dust worse than if the tires were just clean and dry, which is how I like to see em.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:16:41 PM by Hoolander2 »

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »
  If you get a chance, swing by a Honda dealership and pick up their Honda Spray Polish:

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Spray-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B00383T62O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299689994&sr=8-1

This stuff is a miracle.  It is good for paint, it takes bugs off, fine for the windshield, good on vinyl, rubber, plastic, anything.  Heck, if it were cheaper I'd brush my teeth with it.  I use it with a microfiber cloth instead of washing with a hose and bucket.  After you apply it, water will bead on the surface too!

Like you said, tho - Avoid spraying it directly on the brake rotor or tire treads for obvious reasons.  You can do the sidewalls, though - It doesn't fling or travel.

Sproket mentioned Mother's Back to Blackâ„¢ - That stuff will bring faded plastic back to life.  It is handy to have around.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()