Author Topic: Wheel Sizes  (Read 919 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Wheel Sizes
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »
When I purchased my S200 and kept it a short while, I was told the larger 16 inch wheel's is the way to go. But than when I was interested in my present scooter, was talked into it even though the tire size was really not an issue. Ok, I now have of course the Downtown 300i and it run's the 14 front and the 13 rear. I've seen 15 - 14 on other unit's so it bring's me to the technical question....why the difference. Is it due to height, width, weight or what? Is the 16 inch in fact safer as I was led to believe at one time? My mind is always working and appreciate this Forum!

juice

• View Profile
Re: Wheel Sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
If you ever ran through a large pot hole at 45mph on a 10 inch wheel you would understand instantly .

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
Wheel size is a compromise between agility (small is better), gyroscopic stability (large is better), roughness of underground (l.b.), weight (s.b.) and available space (s.b.).
Enduro uses 21" to level the rough surface.
MotoGP is driving >200mph with 16.5", they need very much agility and still gyroscopic stability.
For typical urban scooters 10-12" is enough.

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »
The wheel sizes revolve around Newton's laws of gravity.  The larger wheels will yield a higher level of stability due to the gyroscopic effect.  Adversely, the larger wheels will reduce maneuverability vs the trippletree/head angle.  Moving mass is changed with wheel size and wheel weight; Lower moving mass results in higher wheel horse power.  Larger wheels tend to be heavier, increasing the moving mass.  There are several other elements effected by the wheels size that don't involve the environment (potholes).  Check into counter steer theories for motorcycles... there's more information there as well.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:41:11 PM »
  There are a lot of factors that wheel size will affect, both positively and negatively.  But the designers can mitigate many of the effects via the suspension, fork rake, weight distribution, etc.

The 14/13 combo on the DT300 are 2 inches off the 16/15 I have on the crotch rocket.  Not a huge deal.  The smaller wheels are nice because there is less unsprung weight, and the reduced rotating mass is great for acceleration and stopping. 

I've found that the DT300 is wonderfully stable at high speed and blasting through turns.  The Bergman is a bit unstable above 100mph and begins to oscillate, while the SilverWing likes to wallow in the turns if you are riding too hard.  I've jolted the handlebars at above highway speeds - and it is nice and steady.  No bad habits I can find so far.  I assume the engineers did a decent job.

I did notice the stock tires on the DT300 are 'S' rated - Good up to 112mph!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:32:41 PM »
Smaller wheels allow more room for underseat storage.  Most scooters with 16 wheels don't have much room under the seat. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

old mod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »
16" wheels, was one of the deciding factors in my buying the Agility City, it's handling is brilliant, maybe have to crank it over a little more in the bends ( fun in my opinion ) but room for bigger discs all round. Surely the engine is under the seat, so shouldn't decrease the "Met in box", what does that mean?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()