Author Topic: Scooter Riding Gear  (Read 7306 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Scooter Riding Gear
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
Riding gear is one area where there are many opinions with some people preaching ATGATT on one extreme and others riding in shorts and flip flops on the other.  I don't want to start another ATGATT debate.  First of all, if you don't wear full racing leathers every time you ride, you're not really ATGATT.  Almost everyone makes some concessions to comfort, practicality, style, and cost when deciding what to wear when riding.  

My personal philosophy is: The Appropriate gear for the occasion (AGFTO???).  I don't dress the same for a trip to the store as I would for a sport ride, or a ride on a dirt bike.  I dress differently in hot weather than in cold weather.  I tend to dress differently on the scooter than I do on one of my motorcycles because typically I ride my scooter in a different environment and for different reasons.  

Like I'm sure many of you do, I often ride my scooter on short trips where I will be getting off my scooter at my destination and doing something else like going into a store, going to work or going for a hike.  For this I need gear that is practical off of the scooter or is easy to take off and on and can fold small enough to be practically stored.  And of course, I'm cheap and don't like to spend more than I have to on my gear.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss what gear works for you, not to discuss how much gear everyone else should wear.  We all have to make our own decisions as to how much risk we are willing to take by not wearing ATGATT.  I suspect that if cost, practicality, comfort, and style were not a problem, most riders would wear more safety gear.  

I'll start with some of my gear.

Helmet:

When I got my Scooter I decided to get a new helmet since my full face helmet was about 10 years old and I wanted to try a modular helmet.  The dealer sold my a Fulmer I-shade for $100.  Retail is $150 so it is fairly inexpensive.

It's modular, has flip down tinted visor, and is probably the most comfortable helmet I have owned.  It is also the most noisy.  I normally wear ear plugs but sometimes go without earplugs on short rides.  With this helmet, it's earplugs all the time.

I picked a some new gloves recently at Cycle Gear.

The glove on the left are Frank Thomas Storm Gloves.  Waterproof, fairly warm and very comfortable.  They were on sale for $35 and I later saw them for $25.  The gloves on the right are Motoboss and were $15.  You don't have to spend a lot to get some pretty decent gear.

Next, an old pair of Joe Rocket jeans.

No longer in production, I love these overpants.  With full length side zippers I can put these on or take them off in about 15 seconds and don't have to remove my boots.  The material is waterproof but the zippers are not.  They fold up smaller than a regular pair of jeans.  They are perfect for extra protection and warmth when I want to be able to remove them easily at my destination and store them under my seat.

More to come later.  Lets see what works for you.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

old mod

• View Profile
Re: Scooter Riding Gear
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
I bet you look cool, bare chested with that gear on! :D ;D

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
I bet you look cool, bare chested with that gear on! :D ;D

It's all about looking cool ; 8)
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:56:40 AM »
Just so you don't think I ride around bare chested all the time, I got this mesh jacket for $49 at Cycle gear.

I have found mesh jackets are just as cool in hot weather as riding in just a t-shirt.  With a liner it also works in cool weather.  It also shows that you don't have to spend a lot to get some protection.

I also got matching pants, also for $49

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »
Nice gear, Klav!

My philosophy is to dress for the ride.  Where I live summer is 9months and always 90+.  If your 'safety gear' makes you hot and uncomfortable and distracts you, you'll be more likely to dump. 

If I'm around town (~35mph) it is a Tshirt and shorts.  I know wthe roads and the traffic is sparse at best.

On the highway, I normally wear a Vega Altrua (you can find them 50USD and under) - They are cheap, comfy and the visors come in a variety of shades and mirrorings, and a mesh jacket w/armor.  The wind is enough to keep me cool and comfy.

One thing that people seem to neglect is RAIN GEAR.  Always keep a set packed on the scoot.  If you are wet and miserable, you are distracted - And in the worst possible conditions! 

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:55:52 PM »
Yes, the more protection the better.  You could wear full leathers, but that is not very practical.  Scooters are all about practical.
Over the years I have collected four different jackets, three pairs of pants, two helmets, 4 pairs of gloves, two pairs of boots (three if you include my steel toed shop boots).
I have seen very pretty ladies on scooters in their sundress, sandals no gloves and only a trace of a helmet.  I want to ask them how pretty they will be when they hit the deck.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
Yes, the more protection the better.  You could wear full leathers, but that is not very practical.  Scooters are all about practical.
Over the years I have collected four different jackets, three pairs of pants, two helmets, 4 pairs of gloves, two pairs of boots (three if you include my steel toed shop boots).
I have seen very pretty ladies on scooters in their sundress, sandals no gloves and only a trace of a helmet.  I want to ask them how pretty they will be when they hit the deck.

Most people would agree that more protection is better but I think there are two reasons that people ride with no safety gear.  The first is: "it won't happen to me"  One of my favorite sayings which I saw on a T shirt is:  "to be old and wise, one must first be young and stupid."  I think most of us can relate to the young and stupid part....I certainly can ;D

The second reason is because people believe that safety gear is too expensive, uncomfortable, or inconvenient.  There is some truth to that belief since safety gear is not free, It can be a hassle to put on and take off, and sometimes it is uncomfortable.  With the proper gear, most of these concerns can be minimized.  One common complaint I hear is "it's too hot to wear that stuff"  Those people never tried a mesh jacket or pants.  As for cost, you don't have to buy expensive gear to get "decent" protection.  I have seen full face Helmets on sale for under $70, Jackets for $50, and gloves for $10.  I probably wouldn't want to go road racing in stuff I bought for that price, but it will offer a reasonable amount of protection, especially at the slower speeds of a small scooter.

As for the inconvenient arguement, this really is a big issue.  I don't want to put on full riding gear for a 5 mile ride to Wal Mart.  I also don't want to be wearing all that gear while walking around inside the store.  So I compromise.  I always wear Helmet and gloves.  I almost always wear a jacket.  I'll usuelly skip riding pants and wear jeans for short trips.  Instead of motorcycle boots I'll wear hiking boots.  The potential hazard of loose laces are less of an issue on a scooter than on a motorcycle.

One of the problem with convenience is that gear is often designed just for riding and not for convenience when you stop.  One of the nice things about most scooters is that they have some storage space to store your gear when you stop.

I'm always looking for better gear.  I have 4 helmets and more jackets and gloves than I can keep track of.  I still haven't found the perfect riding gear for every situation, but I'm always looking.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:21:10 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

hexnut

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
------------------
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:08:20 PM by hexnut »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »
I have never went for the idea to make my self safe for a crash. I belong to the group that believes its better to prevent the crash in the first place. Its worked for 53 years of riding. I have not been down one time.

I am always aware of my surroundings, I watch the traffic at all times. I try to anticipate what a car will do, and look for alternative lanes should they come my way. Especially the ones making the famous left hand turn. I give the cars in front of me plenty of room. I do not fiddle with things that take my eyes off the road.. I ride defensively, and also drive my truck the same way. Guess what..no wrecks there either. I started driving autos in 1960. I started riding scooters in 1958. And don't say it happens to every one sooner or later. None of the guys I rode motorcycles with in the 60s and 70s have ever been down either. We have a say in creating our own destiny.

I do wear a half helmet, its the law. I always wear Levis and leather shoes. Even on the hottest days. When its cool I wear a leather jacket and leather gloves.

I am not against you guys having the best riding gear you can afford. What I am saying is don't let that be the end of it. You have got to do your part when riding and not put your self in a position that can cause you to crash or be run over. I didn't say its easy but it will go a long way to being safe out there. People are crazy and will run you off the road in a heart beat. And the best gear in the world will not always help.

May the force be with you...

Of course it is better to not crash in the first place.  The most important piece of safety gear is the Nut that connects the seat to the handlebars.  I can't say I have your safety record.  In nearly 400,000 miles of riding I have crashed 4 times on the street.  ( I don't keep track of the times I have crashed in the dirt).  Two times it was my fault and two times I was in the wrong place in the wrong time.  My last crash was due to hitting a deer that jumped out in front of me with no time to react.  The previous time another rider went down in a curve and slid into me...again, virtually no time to react.  I had a friend who rode over 50 years before his first accident on the road, a dog ran in front of him. 

Bottom line, being a good rider will greatly improve your odds, but will never eliminate the chance of an accident.  Wearing safety gear will decrease your chances of being injured if you do crash, but can not eliminate all probability of injuries.  Ultimately the choice of whether or not to ride and how much gear to wear rests with each individual. 

The purpose of this thread is to throw around some ideas of what riding gear works for people on their scooters.  I'm always looking for new ideas and I suspect there are some other people out there also interested in riding gear.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »
$70 helmet? $50 jacket? Unheard of.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »
I wear gear every ride.  I figure if I am not willing to gear up for the ride, I should take the cage.  It takes about 2-5 minutes to gear-up and the bike takes about that long to warm-up when it's cold. Can you guess what I do while I am warming the bike up?

I wear  a HJC Symax II, Olympia Voyager (similar to the current AST) and my FirstGear HT 2 overpants with boots (not moto) and moto-specific gloves. I normally use a balaclava or a Buff over my neck and head, and earplugs... but sometimes I don't.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:16:22 PM »

You can them at this price but I didn't. I bought good gear when i got the bike... and I use it every ride and have not had any major issues with any of my good gear.  I have a Frank Thomas mesh I got for $40 that I had to replace one and the zipper is currently broken...again.

I paid about $250 for my helmet, about $200 for the jacket no closeout.  I bought my pants used for $60 off the ADVRider for-sale forum and my gloves range from $25-50 (I have several pair, warm/cold/wet/dry).

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »
I have never went for the idea to make my self safe for a crash. I belong to the group that believes its better to prevent the crash in the first place. Its worked for 53 years of riding. I have not been down one time.

This is not the choice "wear protective gear vs. go down."
It is - wear protective gear AND try not to go down.

You were simply careful, AND lucky, nothing else.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »
You can them at this price but I didn't. I bought good gear when i got the bike... and I use it every ride and have not had any major issues with any of my good gear.  I have a Frank Thomas mesh I got for $40 that I had to replace one and the zipper is currently broken...again.

I paid about $250 for my helmet, about $200 for the jacket no closeout.  I bought my pants used for $60 off the ADVRider for-sale forum and my gloves range from $25-50 (I have several pair, warm/cold/wet/dry).

Not all the gear I have was cheap.  I paid almost $700 for an Aerostich Roadcrafter back in 96.  I also had a top of the line Shoei.  It sucked having to throw it away after a crash.  Since I have a pretty good selection of riding gear, I don't really "need" any more, so I can afford to wait until I see something I really like on closeout or a really good sale.  I have been extremely pleased with some of the stuff I got at ridiculously low prices. 

The point I was originally trying to make is that you can get riding gear pretty inexpensively if you look around.  The inexpensive gear may not be the same quality as the expensive stuff but it will protect you a lot better than shorts and a T shirt will.  In the case of Helmets, it has been shown that the inexpensive, non Snell rated helmets will often protect your head better than the expensive Snell rated helmets.  This is one case were more money doesn't always buy more protection.

The higher quality stuff will usuelly last longer and may have some extra features.   

One of the most important feature I have found for riding gear to be effective in a crash is proper fit.  If it doesn't fit properly, it may not stay in place to properly protect you.  Don't ask me how I know that ::)

Comfort is also important, if it's not comfortable, you will be less likely to wear it and/or it will iritate you when you ride.

Riding gear is not a "one size fits all" type of thing.  Everone has different needs/desires.  Unfortunately, in most parts of the US, there is a very limited selection at the local dealers.  It's really hard to know exactly what is available out there.  I have done quite a bit of reading / research on the subject and I still don't feel that I really know what's out there.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »

Those are not the normal retail prices but you can find stuff for those prices in the US if you look around.  January seems to be the best time to buy.  Stores are trying to clear out their inventory at the same time that most riders aren't really thinking about riding due to the snow and cold weather.  This may not be true in Florida or SoCal but is in most of the country. 

If you buy online you may be able to beat those prices but I prefer to be able to try stuff on before buying it.  I have bought very little of my riding gear online and still got some for really great prices.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()