Author Topic: Scooter Riding Gear  (Read 7307 times)

hexnut

Re: Scooter Riding Gear
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 09:33:26 PM »
-------------
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:09:21 PM by hexnut »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »
Its better to be lucky than good any time...

It's better to be both ;D
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

hexnut

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 11:35:08 PM »
--------------
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:09:46 PM by hexnut »

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »
If you have a Fulmer dealer that sells at MSRP, you can find plenty of helmet options around $70. A few dollars more will get you into a full-face.

MotorcycleGear.com = closeouts on last year's jackets, etc. I got a Joe Rocket Phoenix for $70 (retail is closer to $200) 'cause it was a 4.0, and the 5.0 had just come out.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 04:30:57 AM »
I just ordered one of these.  Seeing glopezz's get-off pics put me over the top.   >:(    It's an AFX FX-37 Dual Sport.  Cheap but at least full face and has the visor I wanted.  $106 on sale at motorcycle-superstore.com. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:44:08 AM by Hoolander2 »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »
I just ordered one of these.  Seeing glopezz's get-off pics put me over the top.   >:(   It's an AFX FX-37 Dual Sport.  Cheap but at least full face and has the visor I wanted.  $106 on sale at motorcycle-superstore.com.  

I wouldn't get one of these without trying one on.  They have an unusual shape and tend to run a size small.  They are really made for dual sport riders who want the option of riding with the sheild up and MX goggles on.  They will catch the wind at highway speeds.  I do have a similar helmet, a Fulmer ADV.  It was $119 at the dealer.
I wear it when dual sport riding but haven't worn it on my scooter.  The visor on most of these dual sport helmets is to high to be very effective in blocking the sun when it's low and you are riding into it.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:30:07 AM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »
Maybe people don't understand the pain of crashing.
Imagine your bear skin touching down on asphalt at 30 mph.
Hell, just look down when you are riding...that is one big ass sanding machine running under you.
Skin grafts hurt like hell and infection may take an arm or a leg.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
Hexnut, I like your post on prevention procedure and of course the safety factor. Putting it a bit out of comparison, I was trained as a night sniper in the service and being aware of anything that move's even though you are not looking directly at it. I feel I practise as you do, attempting to read and be aware of everything that is around me which I taught my six kid's to do also. Predetermining thing's is somthing I always hope to do but not to a point of driving me crazy! Logical understanding of surroundings is well worth no money spent. Thanks for your post.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
So far much of the discussion on riding gear has been about protection in a crash.  Riding gear serves many other purposes.  It can protect you from cold, wind, rain, flying bugs or debris, and can even help prevent an accident.  It is also used by many as a fashion accessory or to project a certain image.  Not only the black leather wearing Harley riders are trying to project an image.  

When I got my scooter, I knew my riding habits and riding environment would change.  I used to avoid riding in city traffic as much as possible and head out of town.  With my scooter, much more of my riding is in town.  I also used to avoid riding at night as much as possible but my commute to work is a night.  With that in mind I decided to go Hi Vis so that other drivers would see me and be less likely to pull in front of me.

In addition to a hi vis yellow helmet I got a yellow Tourmaster Transition jacket.  I wanted the High Vis Yellow but Couldn't find any (Cycle Gear Checked around) so I got a regular yellow.  I've been happy with the jacket in cold weather, and so far nobody has cut me off.

As for the whole image thing, I really don't care if I look like a geek ;D because I know I'm getting the last laugh at the gas pump 8)

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 04:28:19 PM »
I got my AFX-37.  As we expected, the fit out of the box was horrible.  I wore it for a day and a half with it hurting my forehead terribly.  Well, ol' hoolander wasn't gonna let that go on.  The lining snaps out and the dremel carves away about a 16th of an inch of foam for the forehead and now it's a custom fit with no pressure points.  :-) 

As for the sun visor, again, as we expected, it didn't go low enough to be much use.  I cut a piece of polyethylene sheeting a half inch wide and a few inches long -- punched a couple holes in it and made an extender from the factory visor detent screw.  Now the visor goes right where I want it.

I'll add a picture in a little while.   

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Here.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 03:37:37 PM »
Picked up my new helmet Sat. and decided on this instead of a full face: Fulmer AF-9B iShade. I copied off the box the attached fitting directions etc.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
The Fulmer AF-9B iShade is an excellent helmet for the money. I want one in optic yellow.  :)

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 10:55:39 PM »
Good to hear that "J". They only had in in Black and I definetly wanted Silver therefore it was ordered. What I really like about it is the Fit, Shaded immediate Visor and the 3/4 globe Visor. I wore it twice now and find it so much better than the previous helmet (1/2)  used. I truthfully feel more secure with it if that mean's a whole heck of a lot! It come's down the forward a good bit but I guess that is normal. The Ear Side's are snug and top feel's just right and doesn't give any play.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
Most of the time, my finger's go faster than my brain and I either misspell, or leave letter's out such as......Meant that the Helmet comes down the forehead a good bit not the forward!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()