Author Topic: Vibration, Downtown 300i  (Read 5509 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Vibration, Downtown 300i
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:22:45 AM »
Elsewhere in this Forum, I posted that I had taken my DT to the dealer and discussed the running. While sitting still and running, at normal idle, they noted that the windshield had a slight vibration...looking at the top of it. With the brakes depressed and throttled slightly, it was noted that the Windshield vibrated considerably. With the engine idling or throttling (not smoothing out) I was told to bring the unit in this week,,,giving them a chance to talk with the Kymco representative and service. At this point it is not know exactly how the unit should respond. Also, one can sit on the unit and feel the non-smooth operation. Again, understandable not many miles on it 50 some but it has to be determined whether this is normal or a mal-funtion.

Syl

• View Profile
Re: Vibration, Downtown 300i
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
Being a lay-man to mechanic's, when I described the operation of my DT over the phone to the dealership, I explained the subject by way of: The engine doesn't sound or run like a smooth hand drill but really like a hammer drill. When I arrived there they agreed that was as good an explanation I could have given. Had to add this to my previous post.

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:42:08 AM »
Interesting.....<eats another handful of popcorn>

I hope mine doesn't have any bugs out of the box.  :(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:47:10 AM by Goodrich »

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »
Goodrich, please don't let my post alarm you or anyone about to own a DT. I posted this week's ago and through several advice post's, I am following up to get this checked out. I very much enjoy the DT and of course maybe this is me being too particular or something! You will enjoy your's "out of the box" and pay no attention to me at this point. I am merely letting some of the friendly's know I am following up on their advice.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
There definitely will be some vibration, Syl - A 300cc thumper has fairly respectable piston, and even with good counterbalances, you'll know the engine is running.  EVEN MORESO if you apply the rear brake (it 'transmits' the vibration into the frame when the rear wheel is locked up by the brakes). 

I've had a Yamaha TT300 and a Suzuki DR350 and they both vibrated a bit more.

The air-hammer sound when the clutch starts engaging seems like an issue, but I'm thinking the engine vibration may be a-ok.  Especially with the rear brake applied.

I'm interested to see what the dealer says.  I still have to get you that video!

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »
Syl, put your hand over your heart. Is it going thump, thump, thump? That thump from your scooter is it's heart too. Enjoy it.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »
There is a reason the motorcycle guys call single cylinder bikes...Thumpers.  They thump. Period.

I know my P250 is pretty thumpy, especially when cold.  At idle, top case rattles, the mirrors shake some and the windscreen moves a bunch at the top edge.

While we are listening to our thumpers, we can also hear the BB rattle of the sliders hunting, the squeal of the belt when it gets old and slips, the screech of a dirty clutch engaging and the whine/siren of the cooling fan on the back of the CVT.

It still makes less noise than a Harley Davidson.

FYI... I still suggest your ride your scooter to the dealer and let a mechanic look it over (or even just listen).  If you are not used to the noises, some of them sound scary when they are perfectly normal.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »
Had taken the scooter to the dealer today and talked with the sales rep. and received a phone call back from the Kymco rep. Kymco rep. told him the bike is fairly new yet and stated puting more miles on it which will also give more time to hear anything about other 300's. Further, went to the service dept. and had one mechanic listen and drive it. He said that he hear's and feel's what I am talking about but also said to put more miles on being it is not really known whether this is normal at this time. Nevertheless, it of course is under warranty and will be followed up. Yes, I recall the note on here...put on more miles yet.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
  Syl -  Does it smooth out at speed?  When you are riding and the engine is at 4-5k, how does it feel?

Mine lets me know there is an engine somewhere under there at stoplights, and it is thumping away.  But at over 4k, it is like a sewing machine.

While the scoot is new to the US, it is NOT a new model by any means.  I'm disappointed that they haven't pulled on the experience of the EU crowd.  I'll check the service manual tonight to see if it mentions anything on this issue.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:26:38 PM by Whisper »

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »
Thanks Whisper, appreciate your post reply. I was also set back being there wasn't knowledge to be brought up at the dealership but they were sincere in finding out more information. I do know though that the sales rep. at the dealership didn't write off the feel and sound when checking out my unit. He is really a friend at this point so I believe his input. If this vibration is found to be normal, I'll feel relieved that I don't have a new unit problem "out of the box"! If it is a problem am going to feel bad that I got stuck with a new unit problem, "out of the box"! Did you read my post by chance in the rider down post? There is more I wanted to say but truthfully have a problem recalling that accident for too long. Anyway, I want to move on in thought with this new venture with the scooter and Forum meeting many different people eager to help in this Forum way. So far, I am enjoying the handling of the DT 300i when the weather permit's the going out! Just a point of past kid stuff for me, I lived in a place we had nick-named "DT"..... Duck Town! We even had jacket's made up with those initial's on them. Why Duck Town? The people in this area years ago raised duck's hence the "DT"! Of course this was a so called nick name not the township or area name.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »
I can't honestly answer your question if the unit "smooth's out" as speed is increased. I can tell you that while throttling up initially pulling out it does give this increased vibration or whatever it should be called. I can say that from stop to pulling out one cane feeling this increase vibration being strong to a certain speed. In other words, that initial torque in pulling out. I wished the dealership had more of these unit's now to relate to them. I have to say at this point, the unit is an eye catcher.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Syl - That post on your accident is brutal, did you ever fully recover!?!  It made me look at the sausages on the DT300 - They are S-rated (Good to 112mph, something the DT will never see =D).  That makes me feel better.  I've actually had good luck with Kendas on scoots as well.

Did your dealer pull open the tranny case?  It is only like 8 bolts.  At least then they could have said "Oh, that is a burr on the clutch housing - it will wear smooth" or "OH crap!  a roller is sideways, we'll straighten that out in 15 minutes".  I really think a gander would be worth it. 

Sounds like you have a good relationship with the service manager - THAT is important.

Your description about pulling out makes me really think that the cause of the vibe is DEFINITELY located in the tranny.  You might want to yank the cover and eyeball it a bit.  Really can't do any harm.  You may find something suspiscious.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »
Whisper, yes, I recovered but it was tough going. I failed to mention, the tire was in the rafters of a garage for 4.5 years approximately. I had both arm's in cast's hand's badaged up of which I still have some visible touchy area's on my one hand were I picked up some small stone's of what have you. Top it off, we were going to Georgia from PA so we had to catch a flight out being I pleaded with them to release me from the hospital. Well, they did and we arrived at the Pittsburgh Airport 15 minutes prior to the flight taking off. Upon the plane going to land in Atlanta, one of the landing gear's wouldn't come down and the run-way was started to get foamed. Finally the gear came down just prior to a ummm ditch landing and needless to say I was a basket case. In Georgia, I had some friend's cut off my left arm cast enough so I could bend it to eat and dress etc. My right arm was to have skin taken off my but to close the hole up but I refused that and they had to pull skin together and heavily stitch it. This bled for many days being I still tried to use that arm. I'll have to tell you the total story through E-Mail and why we were going to Georgia. The dealership told me to put on more miles prior to them doing or looking into anything. Oh Well, I don't want to push them. Be happy if it is something normal so I have to talk with some other DT owner's more defining.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 08:31:28 AM »
Getting some miles on my DT 300i and have been keeping up with conversation with dealer and service on my hammer drill type noise. Up dating to this point, the noise and vibration sound's louder/worse to me. Especially pulling out/throttling up a bit the vibration is bad to me and again, my description of it is like a hammer drill. So many more miles and it will be going into the shop. What concern's me even at this point is the shop doesn't have any of these around so it probably be a learning deal for them...hope not. I am the first DT 300i out of this dealership and haven't seen or heard of another near me to compare to. Had many thought's and opinion's here on this Forum and of course all note's are kept to ask when this unit goes in for check-up. One more thing I wonder about as a lay-man, really how good are these foreign battery's and how good are they after sitting so long before sell? Is the charging system good enough to do the job? So many question's coming up on this unit. Glad we have knowledgeable people on here to refer to.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »
This is prolly more TechGuy's cup of tea, but from what I'm seeing the electrical/charging system is up to the task.  I've been checking the battery while the unit is off and on, and it consistantly reads above specs on mine.  I've also been digging into the wiring itself - It is masterfully done.  Very tidy and secure.

I'd rather a Yuasa battery, but the Kymco seems to be doing the job thus far.  I wish I knew the size & stats.  The battery looks like a rebadged unit.

Next time you are at the dealer, Syl, you have got to have them pull the tranny cover and start poking around.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()