Author Topic: fork oil  (Read 3916 times)

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
fork oil
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:17:05 AM »
anyone know how many ml's the front shocks contain
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: fork oil
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:03 PM »
No, sorry.  I looked in every section of the service manual and owner's manual and couldn't find that amount. 

hinz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
Has anybody figured out how much oil the Xciting 500 forks take? I'm pretty sure mine are due for a change and I don't want to take my bike to the dealer.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »
If it isn't in the service manual then the shop techs are going to either look at the level in the fork and match it, or measure what they drain out - I always measure what comes out and check it against what I plan on putting in anyway.  If someone knows the amount or measures it - then please let the rest of us know so we can update our manuals.

I've looked through 2 different service manuals and not found it...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:43:43 PM by JustWantToRide »
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
I am curious as to why the fork oil needs changing?
Unless the fork seal is leaking, my DH leaves the oil alone for the 1st 20,000 miles.

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
Unless the fork seal is leaking, my DH leaves the oil alone for the 1st 20,000 miles.

Scoot safely,

I am going to change mine to go to a heavier weight oil to increase the dampening action.  I bought my bike new - but it is a 2009 model - so to me the condition of all fluids is suspect.  While it takes millions of years to make crude oil - the quality of refined oil deteriorates in a few years.  The oil in the forks from the factory usually is pretty clean, but it will over a few years lose some of it's viscosity even when the bike hasn't been used.  This will cause the parts to wear faster.  In normal use the moving parts will wear some and contaminate the oil with tiny bits which increases the rate of wear...  The forks don't get nearly the use that the engine does and they aren't quality items - but having them work as well as possible is important to me.  I'll probably change the fork oil when I do my first service and fit a stainless washer or two into them to increase the preload.  I'll also change the brake fluid and coolant - then every other year replace the fork oil, brake fluid, and coolant regardless of the mileage.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

hinz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »

Scoot safely,

The front suspension of my '07 seems to be suspiciously soft and bottoms out easily.  It's done this ever since I picked it up used in March of this year so I don't really have anything to compare it to...(maybe the Kymcos might just have really soft suspension?)  Anyways, the fork seals seem to be alright and I figure I would start with the "easy" stuff before I go tearing the forks apart. 

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Kymco's definately have inexpensive suspensions intended more for utility than handling.  They are also designed for the average Taiwanese person (and they are not 6'4" 230lb Farm Boys like me) - hence the 330lb capacity for my XCiting 500Ri.

When you say the suspension is soft - do you mean the forks compress easily (too little preload) or that they go up and down a bit when you hit a bump (too little damping)? 

I could use more preload and damping - but they do work.  Since I'm a single dad I have a lot of things on my todo list above this - but I'll post pics and results when I get to it.  If anyone else does it then please let us all know how it goes.  I'm especially interested in fork preload adjuster caps or spacers that fit, and which race tech emulator and adapter would fit.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:02:50 AM »
already changed my oil a few weeks back. the level was a bit low the mechanic showed me a grove on the inside and said that oil should be on that level. now ride is perfect for me.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 02:52:48 PM »
Thanks Drifter.  Is it an obvious groove - or one of many?  Do you know what weight is in there stock?  Bel-Ray makes really good fork oil in weights from 2.5 to 30.  I'm guessing that stock is around 7 to 10, and I'd like to go to 10 or 15W depending on which is stock. 
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()