Author Topic: GrandVista W/N start;any1 have wiring diagram?  (Read 3762 times)

slowjack

• View Profile
GrandVista W/N start;any1 have wiring diagram?
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
I have a GrandVista 250 that won't start.  When you turn the ignition key to ON, put the red ignition switch ON, grab both brakes, make sure the kickstand is up, then press the START button - nuth'n happens (well, the headlights come on, etc). No sounds from the starter. I tested the battery OK but ran jumper cables to it from another battery just to make sure - nuth'n happens.  Checked fuses OK.
So now I've done this:  disconnected the battery, pulled the seat off, pulled the helmet box liner out (yes- disconnected both the interior light and 12V port connectors).  Now I have a commanding view of the engine and it's components.  If I had a wiring diagram I would be able to meter out the red ignition switch, kickstand safety switch, and the START button.  Right now I can't tell what's what. 
Anyone have a wiring diagram or know where these things plug in?  Or better yet, has anyone ever had this issue before?  And to make it worse-  I started it a couple days ago to move it out of the way of my Burgman. Maybe it hates me now for having the Burgman 650-?
Thanks-  Jack

TechGuy

• View Profile
Re: GrandVista W/N start;any1 have wiring diagram?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »
Try this link.  Is a service guide for the Grand Vista.  It has the Grand Dink name for the UK version.

http://tinyurl.com/4ocgy2h

A RAR file is like a zip file.  Many compression programs/readers can un-archive the file.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:59:05 AM »
As you might guess the ignition switch isn't simple.
From the Service manual, page 19-3

"Disconnect the ignition switch couplers and check for continuiety between the wire terminals."
PARK: No continuiety to any
LOCK: Black/white connected to Green
OFF:  Black/white connected to Green
ON:   Red connected to Black

Disconnect the Starter Switch wire coupliers
Depress the Starter switch & check for continuiety
FREE:  No connection
PUSH:  Yellow/Red connected to Green

Disconnect the Engine Stop Switch wire coupliers
OFF:   No connection
ON:  Black/White connected to Black/Green

General electrical Info:
From the battery to a 30 amp fuse then Red/white wire to main switch. Then Black wire to 15 Amp fuse then BR/L wire to stop switch. From stop switch to Starter Relay.
From starter relay via Y/R wire to Start switch and then via green wire to ground.

I think a People 250 electrical schematic is similar to the GV and can be found on the internet... maybe a search on this forum?  The drawings are so small as to be very difficult to read.  The People 250 is easier to read than my Grand Dink one.

I hope some of this helps.
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
check the kill switch?

slowjack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »
Finally got around to working on the GrandVista today. The very first thing I did was jumper across the starter relay and the scoot started right up.  So now I have a relay on order (around $45 with PA tax) and just in time for nicer weather.  I hope I remember how the seat and hardware goes back on!

Thanks to all who contributed to my question. I printed out the wiring info MaryK submitted in case I need to chase connectors sometime.   

Happy trails - Jack  :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()