Author Topic: PA Road Condition's  (Read 1630 times)

Syl

• View Profile
PA Road Condition's
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:39:45 AM »
Went for a long ride yesterday being the weather wasn't bad for a change...but the road's...don't want to use the language I mumbled while riding! I spoke of Pot Hole's & Gravel but didn't remark on the other road condition's. The horizontal concrete connection lines, well, they are raised/lifted to a degree in most spot's to knock the heck out of a enjoyable ride. Let alone not to mention trying to move from the left lane to the right lane, if one doesn't look very carefully at the right spot, you are going to enter into the open spacing between lane's. First thing you know, you have to slow down for sure and try for an angle cross as long as you are not pushed from the rear......the worst word I'll use on here is.......damn. Now I guess I have to try to understand how the scooter handle's these constant line crossing's with it's shock's etc. I am not exaggerating on this stuff, Hole's, Gravel, Line Bumps, Line Slot's, High Pot Hole Fill's and not to mention even the dodging of filled holes that appear like a Pot Hole from a certain distance away. I believe the Highway Department's and local's should be totally responsible for ill fated ride,s, car's or cycle's. With this condition, it is difficult to keep the posted speed limit or even a safe one at that.

xXScOoTeZz

• View Profile
Re: PA Road Condition's
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 12:14:20 AM »
i strongly agree, the roads are terrible, this is one thing im not looking forward to when i get my Bike, i think the council should sort out these roads out, plus the deeper the pot hole, the deeper you will go down if you don't see it, therefore damaging your bike..

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:17:05 PM »
Let's not forget the city. Too many Philly streets look like they've been bombed by mortar shells. Exposed trolly rails that have been tarred over are just one of many hazards.
I agree -- who is responsible for a road's condition especially if it's caused a crash.

-Wolf

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »
I'm pretty amazed that in a state with no income tax, our roads in Tennessee are pretty well-maintained. Of course, we don't have winters that're nearly so severe as in PA, but the state DOT ran more than $10M over budget for salt and ice/snow removal this season. Still, the roads are pretty good, locally. There have been a few egregious potholes, but state and local crews get them patched up pretty quickly, and they don't stick up 3" from the rest of the roadway.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
The last time I drove through PA on interstate 70 over 10 years ago, I remember thinking "how could they charge such high tolls for a road in such crappy condition?"  I guess things haven't changed changed since then.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »
I'm pretty amazed that in a state with no income tax, our roads in Tennessee are pretty well-maintained.

This means that the state revenue is collected from other sources. For example, in my country, 1/3 of tax revenue comes from VAT, 1/3 from income tax and all other taxes (corporate, excises...) make the remainder. It is possible that in Tennessee some other tax forms are present in abundance, so income tax is not a major source.

For example, corporate sector may be well developed there and corporate tax (tax on profit) can be a good source of state income.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »
This means that the state revenue is collected from other sources. For example, in my country, 1/3 of tax revenue comes from VAT, 1/3 from income tax and all other taxes (corporate, excises...) make the remainder. It is possible that in Tennessee some other tax forms are present in abundance, so income tax is not a major source.

For example, corporate sector may be well developed there and corporate tax (tax on profit) can be a good source of state income.

Haaaa. Yeah. Well, there are plenty of taxes (8.25% on food, for instance; very regressive) -- I pay $85/year for my tag, plus the pittance of 18-some-odd cents per gallon of gasoline I buy (which is collected by the federal government, and then doled back out to the states). But on corporations?  Tee-hee.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()