Author Topic: Brought home my DT300  (Read 1772 times)

Goodrich

• View Profile
Brought home my DT300
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:57:43 AM »
Went to the dealer that gave me the killer OTD price and gave them the rest of the money.  I had to get a neighbor to drive me up there so I could put it on the back of his truck.  Being almost 2 hours away and most of it highway miles I didn't want to damage a cherry motor keeping it at speed for that period of time.  Sucks that the local dealer couldn't give me the same deal.  Once I got it home and off the truck I cranked it up and went around the block.  WOW...this thing has a set of nuts, hey Syl...you should of got a white one, they're FASTER!  ;D I can't wait till it's broke in completely.  I just finished the 'dog and pony' show this weekend and got my motorcycle endorsement.  Having a year and a half road time on a Triumph Speed Triple made the weekend go by slow with the ultra-beginner style exercises.  Anyway, the DT just begs to be thrown into a corner...I only wish there was some more ground clearance.  I love the smell of a new bike just getting it's first few rides.  

ETA...no matter what I do it seems I can't add a pic because of file size.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:01:16 AM by Goodrich »

Syl

• View Profile
Re: Brought home my DT300
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:50 AM »
Good Luck Goodrich with your new wheel's! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. When mine arrived home, and the weather was nasty and couldn't ride, I kept going to the garage to check on it as though it was my new pet or something! I'm sure you heard of the silver bullet Goodrich and not much out-run's a bullet! Anyway, I am anxious to hear about how your unit sound's being I'm not sure the way one should sound and have question about mine. I enjoy the power of this unit of course over my previous S200 People's. I can't say anything bad about the S200 being I enjoyed it for the short time I owned it. I understand someone purchased it yesterday. If by chance your read my other post, I purchased a new helmet.... AF-98 iShade and am very happy with it so far. I almost purchased a full face but I am happy I made this decision. On a cold day even on this new helmet I had to adjust it up or down due to fogging up. Anyway anxious to hear of your new experience. I get many good remark's on the road with my silver helmet and black and white jacket.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »
CONGRATS GoodRich!  The best of luck with your new scoot!  The more I ride mine the more I likes it.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the errata sheet with your manual - It clearly states that the silver is the high-performance model.  (>.O )

There is lots of great support on this forum if you need anything - Pro Tip:  Order your first oil filter now - Those 500 break-in miles go by fast. 

I currently have my Downtown in pieces.  I'm turning the superfluous turn signals in the headlight unit into LED daytime running lights.  I found that the wires are STILL there, just capped off!  I'll install a switch to turn off the main headlights and just use the LED bulbs.  (How-to will be forthcoming)

Syl installed a Givi Tailcase on his - It is immense and looks fantastic.  I bought a Shad, but refuse to pay 90 USD for the mounting kit.  I'm fabricating one up, and hopefully can get close to the same clean install as Syl's Givi!

Welcome aboard!!!!

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »
My fat grape requires a XXXL size helmet so I'm very limited to what I can get.   :o I decided on an HJC CL-16 because I wanted a full-face that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Of course it's white/black like the scoot...which, in combination, makes the white DT300 the FASTEST color available.  I didn't read anywhere in the owner's manuel any type of break-in procedure so I just use common sense by not riding at a certain RPM for two long and, every now and then, twist the throttle wide open for a few seconds. 

I plan on using synthetic oil when I do the first oil change, however, I was wondering about using Engine Ice for the cooling system.  Anyone else use this or any additive to their radiator?

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »
I did not consider the synergy of the matching helmet combo...  Formidible indeed.

I raise see your matching brain-bucket and raise you a mirrored visor!  That has to be good for 0.25hp.  Don't make me put stickers for performance parts that I don't have installed on it.  LMAO!

Breakin is hard to do on a scoot - The variator does a good job of keeping the rpms constant.  Have to find a lot of stop-and-go routes.

I just did the 500 mile service.  I used a 5W40 synthetic (forget the brand) - And a 90w-something synthetic gear oil in the rear.  Super simple.  However, the DT has an oil filter AND an oil screen!  Don't forget to take that out and wipe it off.  It is right next to the oil drain bolt.  easy.

The only part you won't like - The stupid, Plain-Jane, wee little oil filters are like 20 USD!!!  HORRIBLE.  We need some good aftermarket replacements.

I haven't even checked the coolant.  Temp has been rock steady.  What is the Engine Ice?  Any good?  What does it do/how much do you use?

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:12:29 AM »
http://www.engineice.com/

Good stuff...had it in my Triumph.  I live in Florida and the summers are miserable.   Helped lower my coolant temp a couple of bars.

Syl had some trouble with starting his DT, now I beginning to have the same problem.  It happens when the engine is cool.  Eventually it starts but I'm sure it takes a toll on the battery.  Other than that it runs like a bat out of hell.

I weigh 270 lbs so I had to have the fastest color (white).  Silver along with my fat arse would have just killed the fun of the DT.  ;D

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »
Hey, I live in FL too - And indeed, the summers are killer.  Last August, the sun was about 12ft overhead for a couple weeks.  LMAO!  I'm going to look into that stuff!

The bad news is, I discovered, the radiator fill cap is BEHIND THE WINDSHIELD (>.< ).  PITA.

My DT300i always starts on the first crank in the garage.  And if it is still hot.  I have, however noticed - If I ride it to work on a 'chilly' morning, and leave it under a cover all day, then some hours later when it is warm out, sometimes it is cranky to wake back up.

Of course, I cannot leave things well enough alone.

I added a battery tender pigtail to make sure it is topped off.  Unfortunately, it always seems well charged.  I have had recent success with popping the gas cap (to relieve pressure) and using the anti-flood mode.  I'm thinking the gas in the line expands and dribbles out the injector.  Because it is hit or miss, I think depends on where the valves are.  If it stops with the exhaust valve open, it prolly evaporates and the engine starts right up.  If not, it sits there.  This is my current theory.  I WILL figure this out.

Maybe while I have mine apart, I'll check the factory spark plug gap. 

If only this happened once, just ONCE, at home - where the tools live.  Maybe it is just telling me it is spoiled and prefers to nap in the garage.  ;D

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »
"Hey, I live in FL too - And indeed, the summers are killer.  Last August, the sun was about 12ft overhead for a couple weeks."

Excuse me while I revel in your summer discomfort, while I suffer under my winter discomfort. LOL. I guess no place is perfect.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()