Author Topic: Idiot Needs Help with Pumping Gas  (Read 5572 times)

Whisper

• View Profile
Idiot Needs Help with Pumping Gas
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
I like to fancy myself as quick-witted.  And tall.  And mouth-wateringly sexy.  But reality has been rather unkind towards my self-perception as of late (only the quick-witted part).

I KNOW overfilling the gas tank - As warned about in the manual of many scoots - Will fill the charcoal canister, clog it, and cause hard starting.  

I try HARD to not overfill.  I stick the nozzle ALL the way in the tank.  I try to slow down when I think the tank is near full.  But despite my efforts I have a 50% rate of having the gas overflow the tank and pour all over the scoot.  Immediately followed by passionate cursing.

WTF could I be possibly doing wrong not to get the pump to click off!?!  Do any of you have a surefire trick?  This is not a problem on any other vehicle =(.

axy

• View Profile
Re: Idiot Needs Help with Pumping Gas
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »
I like to fancy myself as quick-witted.  And tall.  And mouth-wateringly sexy.  But reality has been rather unkind towards my self-perception as of late (only the quick-witted part).

I KNOW overfilling the gas tank - As warned about in the manual of many scoots - Will fill the charcoal canister, clog it, and cause hard starting.  

I try HARD to not overfill.  I stick the nozzle ALL the way in the tank.  I try to slow down when I think the tank is near full.  But despite my efforts I have a 50% rate of having the gas overflow the tank and pour all over the scoot.  Immediately followed by passionate cursing.

WTF could I be possibly doing wrong not to get the pump to click off!?!  Do any of you have a surefire trick?  This is not a problem on any other vehicle =(.

Never had a problem in my whole life with filling the tank, never had a problem with overfilling it (even when I did that, I experienced no ill effects) and when I stop the nozzle filling the tank, it pours maybe 30-40 cc of gasoline. If you are in USA maybe gas pump "pistols" are different than ours in Europe and continue filling for some time after you stop them.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
We get a little extra after it 'clicks' off too.  My problem as of late is - 50% of the time it clicks off when the tank is full - Good times!  The other 50% I get a petrol geyser coming out of the fill hole.  No clicky off.   >:(

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
I get that geyser too, Whisper!  Too often.  I've learned to guess at how much petrol it's going to take and stop before it gets there.  Just stop.  So I don't always get it quite filled.  I've tried listening closely while pumping cause you can sometimes hear when it gets nearly full but that doesn't always work either. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »
The secret is to NOT stick the nozzle into the tank.  Hold it just above the tank opening so you can see into the tank.  Stop pumping when the tank gets full.  Most pumps will let you pump at a much slower rate.  Use this feature when approaching full.

While we're talking about gas stations, here's a cool one:

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:30:19 PM »
One more thing about the Super 8, it will take more gas if it is on the centerstand instead of the sidestand.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
My Grand Vista has a gas gauge, so I turn the key on (but engine off) when I buy gas and stop filling when the gauge gets to 4 bars (5 bars is full). 
It has worked every time so far. 
The gas that dribbles out after shutoff usually brings the gauge up to five bars.

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:04:57 AM »
I haven't overfilled more than once but maybe carry a little container and when you get close to the top you can stop, fill the little gas can and then fill the scooter. I realise that you will look like an idiot doing this but you will look slightly less stupid than painting your scooter with gasoline. :P

spr0k3t

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:29:18 AM »
I keep with me a 1.05gal rotopak tank for two reasons.  One of them is used for emergencies on the really long road trips.  The other is used when I stop by the roadside and offer the small amount of gas to those 12 miles to the gallon SUVs... most people give me a 10spot for the gas.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
I've only added gas once to the DT 300 but more times to the S200 but I practise as one stated in here. Fill so far pull the nozzle out somewhat just enough to see the metal ring in the opening pout slowly until you see the level near or of course no further than the ring. I am a pretty much newbie so I hope I can keep doing well with this! Later I purchased a can (plastic) 2 1/2 gallon for the S200 and it had a nozzle that when placed in the tank, it would stop when the tank fuel hit the nozzle. I couldn't understand it at first but, when placing the nozzle into the tank one has to sort of punch it in to get the nozzle to start working.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
I've watched many cyclist's at the pumps and observed how at a certain point in filling they pulled the nozzle out, tilted it and watched closely the rest of the fill. Many had a rag in their hand also!!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
Just for the record here by the way, I know that the individual who started this post is far from an idiot! He's got a good head on them shoulder's. That's worth a full tank!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »
I keep gas in a gas can at home and most the time I fill it up by hand right out of can that helps for over filling. but yet I do fill up at gas station just dont go to full.

P250Fanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 11:57:20 PM »
I keep the trigger just barely pulled the whole time.  At 2 gallons, it doesn't take that much extra time. I've found this to work pretty much everytime.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 12:32:43 AM »
I keep the trigger just barely pulled the whole time.  At 2 gallons, it doesn't take that much extra time. I've found this to work pretty much everytime.

+1

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()