Author Topic: Is your Bike Thief Safe  (Read 3994 times)

macocoy

• Sting/yup 50 2 stroke(2009)
    • View Profile
Is your Bike Thief Safe
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
Thick Chain around wheels?Alarm?What's the best way to secure a bike?
Scooters r big boys toys-
Tecnigas next r,malossi variator,1000 clutch torque spring,Uni open air,

NewKymcoFan

• View Profile
Re: Is your Bike Thief Safe
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »
Comprehensive insurance that covers theft.

old mod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:25 PM »
big chain attached to an immovable object, some insurers stipulate this, or invalidate insurance!!?? :'( :o

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
lock the stearing and a chain if you can prove to the insurance co. you do this the price of insurance
just might drop. insurance is the best way atleased you well get a new scoot out of it.

macocoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »
My brother in law's Ruckus was just Stolen 2 days ago from his driveway,I think the only security he had was the steering lock.he was so devastated and depress from it.We drove all over our small town hoping we'd spot his red Ruckus.Police couldn't do much,that's what the cop told us.From then I try to do my best to protect my Kymco sting50.Insuring it is not my option.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
its going to be a big year for scoots because of gas prices going up.So safety of your scoot needs to be doulbled up this year. geter done and locker up

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
I have a disc caliper lock, however many disc locks and bike locks use the barrel type lock, which are useless.  Look up barrel lock + bic pen on youtube. 

My current strategy - Comprehensive insurance and park next to expensive bikes.

You can also look at coocases. 

www.coocase.com/

They have alarms built in.  Or you can add one.  If they are effective, that is a whole other matter. 

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
Just a reminder to lock 'em up guys and gals.  Twp scooters reported stolen in one day in my area recently.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/2467754984.html

http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/2467970121.html

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:30:22 AM »
ya the cops impound lot is full of scootes in michigan. they have auctions and sell if no one picks theam up.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
On the back of your storage box a sign.....CAUTION LICENSED VENOM COLLECTOR...for research.

macocoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »
I think there's somekind of organize scoot thieves in my area,in the past 4 months there's been atleast 5 scooters that's been stolen,2 of which I know the owners.one of them saw a pick up truck passing back and forth before his bike was stolen.
It would take at least 2 average size guys to lift it up on truck's bed,I've installed an alarm because of this hoping to scare them a little with the 120 decibel alarm I installed.
Watch out guys ,you're scoot could be "Gone in sixty seconds" $$: /

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »
lock the steering and a chain if you can prove to the insurance co. you do this the price of insurance
just might drop. insurance is the best way atleased you well get a new scoot out of it.
Guess I'm rolling dice. At less than $2000 invested then getting hit with unavoidable depreciation and paying deductible seemed to me I would not be into a new scooter anyway.

Avoid cable locks. They are essentially worthless and cut in less than a second. I use a very secure Kryptonite U on front wheel. Visual deterrence and would have to be put in a truck or van to move. Also parking in most visible and populated area is worth extra walking time to me. Does suck having to potentially deal with a theft scenario. Hope you all can avoid it and have happy motoring :~)

Just wondered if LowJack or similar service is applicable to a scooter. I for one would probably not mind paying up to a couple hundred bucks annually for the strong likelihood of a quick recovery and hopefully a prosecution.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
I see you people are from Hawaii and CA. With what you say about all the thefts of scooters, is your insurance much higher than other states? I am paying $130.00 yearly. Further, are you basically speaking of the smaller/less weight scooters? Anyway, its a shame anymore how we have to be so concerned for our property. I guess first step is to carry a licensed firearm being they would steal right from under you. What is that Kryptonite U, cable also or?

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
My bike thief is not safe. I am armed.

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »
I see you people are from Hawaii and CA. With what you say about all the thefts of scooters, is your insurance much higher than other states? I am paying $130.00 yearly. Further, are you basically speaking of the smaller/less weight scooters? Anyway, its a shame anymore how we have to be so concerned for our property. I guess first step is to carry a licensed firearm being they would steal right from under you. What is that Kryptonite U, cable also or?
If you are paying $130 for 12 months and includes theft coverage I have to say you are doing very well.

This is the lock I use; OnGuard U locks are also a good choice
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/OutletProducts/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1205

Only thing a cable is good for IMO is securing accessories that would not cost a lot to replace. As an example routing a cable lasso style through the view opening of a full face helmet and securing to U before hooking to under seat hooks deters simple chin strap cut and go theft. Dumb thief's seem to not realize helmet is virtually useless without a securely attached chin strap :~(  I have also cabled my mesh jacket in very hot weather when I did not want to carry it. My thought is that even if scooter is toted away in a van or truck thief would have to obtain a new wheel and tire since U's are very hard to remove. Hopefully they will keep movin and not bother.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()