Author Topic: topcase?  (Read 2779 times)

DreamLeaner

• View Profile
topcase?
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
As a fairly new owner of a 2009 GV, I'm wondering how a topcase is mounted on this scoot.  If I look at the rack on the back it doesn't seem to make a 90 degree between the rack and the backrest.  Is there a special adaptor plate that has to go on in order to mount a Givi or Shad case to this?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Rick

TechGuy

• View Profile
Re: topcase?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:25 PM »
Givi requires you to buy a mounting plate.  Shad normally includes the required plate with all of their cases.  You may want the "adapter" plate that has support mounting to the frame or you can simply mount the plate to the existing rear plate.  I have a small 29 L topcase on mine and it is mounted without any additional support on on my P250.

Shad lists K0GD20ST as the correct adapter, if you choose to use one.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »
I have no experience with these, but a quick search yields:
http://www.kymcoaccessories.com/topcases.htm

and
http://www.scooterwest.com/pv_items/Kymco-Grand-Vista-250/global/119

I expect that if you contact them, they will answer some of your questions.

Scoot Safely
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

scootit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »
I have been looking now for a few months. I believe that a Shad or Givi might work. A Shad 29 liters or a Shad 33 liters. To get a different color lid cost more. My scoot is white and I wanted a white top case. I found these at eppguzzi.com for under $100. Also cycleluggage.com has them- under $110 including shipping and tax to me. Eppguzzi.com has the bracket for $73.99! That is the best price I have found it at. This is for the Shad topcase. My scooter has the backrest and I do not want  to remove it. Looking at the bracket you might have to remove the backrest. These top cases are long so they hang way past the scooter
I also have been looking at soft cases for the scooter. Scooterwest.com has a nice soft case-SX appeal canvas top case that I like. These do not have locks on them. They also do not bolt onto scooter. Soft cases will sit right next to the backrest with out a gap.
So far I have mounted my old top case from my Chinese Lance scooter on the Kymco. There is a gap between the seat and backrest. I did not do any mods to it.  If I am to keep it I would have to drill holes in my scooter rack to mount it properly.
Please let me know what you figure out. If you find the mounting rack at a better cost or a white top case that will work keep me posted. There are a few sites that have soft cases or sissy bar or tank cases that will strap onto the scooter.
 Thanks

scootit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »
I just received a Shad 33 liter topcase. I ordered a matte black one for my white 09 GV. I have to say it looks wonderful with the scooter. The black color matches the scooter great.  I will get it on the scooter this week. I 'll report back when it is completed. This case fits my full face, gloves and a tiny bit extra room left.
Scootit
It took me about 20-30 minutes to mount the Shad33 to my GV. I love it. It fits right next to the back rest. The matte black is perfect to the black on my scooter. I just used the plate that came with the top case. For around $100 it is perfect. If you order a larger one you have to make sure the lid opens at the same highth as the 33 liter or you will not be able to open it due to the back rest on the scooter. The 33 liter just passes the backrest. Also do not mount the plate up to the backrest. It needs to be about 1 1/2 inches back.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:16:18 PM by scootit »

DreamLeaner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 03:53:22 AM »
Okay,

It's been a while since I asked this question and I have come up with a solution that works for me.  I purchased a mounting bracket from Shad "K0GD20ST" and the I purchased an all white topcase from Mutazu ($115 plus shipping and handling).

The case is not as big as I expected and I would be pretty disappointed if it weren't for the fact that my helmet fits fine under the seat. Anyway it looks pretty good.  The case goes on pretty well with a couple of additional holes drilled in the mounting bracket.

This is the overall look:

And a view from the back

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()