Author Topic: Max rpm for the 250  (Read 13569 times)

Golota

• View Profile
Re: Max rpm for the 250
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »
Thank you. I will check the belt.

Golota

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 04:18:40 PM »
Well, I have not had time to pull apart the housing, but I did experience something strange. I put the bike on centerstand and revved the engine up. With no load on the bike, the rpm went up to 6500 as it normally does. After a slight hesitation, the rpm suddenly went all the way up, well into the red zone. When I started riding again, it only went up to 6000. I guess it has to be a loose belt.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 03:27:30 AM »
I'm not sure that clinches it.  Still, you should have a look around in there.  If you need to take anything off you'll need a special tool or two.  Like a holder for the variator and clutch and a big breaker bar or impact wrench.   See these pictures of my 500 for an idea.  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3814.0

Golota

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »
So I checked the belt. It is 24,1x995. This is the OEM standard, so the belt is OK. I also bought and installed new rollers 23x18 20g, which is also the OEM standard. The bike still won't go above 6500 rpm and top speed is still low. Also, the variator started clinking at idle, which I did not experience before. This happened when I installed the new rollers and I'm pretty sure I put everything back as it was supposed to.

I also found 3 plastic pins under the storage cover and I have no idea where they come from. I assume they are from the variator, but I thought the pin should be metal, not plastic...

Any ideas how I could proceed?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 03:26:17 AM »
Plastic pins?  Do they look something like this?

Golota

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
Sorry, I should have said needle and I suspect they are from the carburetor. Here they are

I checked the clinking noise. The drive face nut was probably not tightened enough. I need to go back to the tyre shop and ask them to tighten with the impact wrench.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:27:29 AM by Golota »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
Hmm, yes those look like carb needles.  It's a vexing problem you've got there and I'm sorry I'm not experienced enought to help with carburators.  Still, it appears someone has tinkered with the carb so I'd shift my attention to the carb now. 

Are there any markings -- numbers or whatever, on those needles?  They'd be very small.  Might need to clean and use a magnifying glass to see them.  You should be able to find the specs for what should be in a stock carb and compare.  I also can't believe they would be plastic!

Golota

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

I checked the needles. One of them has a single letter "P", the other one has 'H" on one side and "180" on the other.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 04:38:20 AM »
Here's pictures of Xciting 250 pilot jet from my manual.  Neither of what you've got looks like this exactly so, I'd assume those are out of something else.  Sorry not much help on your problem.  Not that the pilot jet would have much to do with top end rpm anyway. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:41:18 AM by Hoolander2 »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 05:09:14 AM »
Those look like plastic dart tips!  Doesn't look like any carb part I've ever seen.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
So I checked the belt. It is 24,1x995. This is the OEM standard, so the belt is OK. I also bought and installed new rollers 23x18 20g, which is also the OEM standard. The bike still won't go above 6500 rpm and top speed is still low. Also, the variator started clinking at idle, which I did not experience before. This happened when I installed the new rollers and I'm pretty sure I put everything back as it was supposed to.

I also found 3 plastic pins under the storage cover and I have no idea where they come from. I assume they are from the variator, but I thought the pin should be metal, not plastic...

Any ideas how I could proceed?

If you are sure the variator is OK, I would check that CDI is OK and it does not cut off at higher revs.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Golota

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
The CDI seems OK, it is the original piece and has not been tampered with. When on centerstand, the rpm reaches 8500 and the CDI doesn't cut off, so I guess it should be OK. Maybe I will check the clutch spring and see if it has been weakened. I'm new to scooters so I can only guess.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 11:59:05 AM »
The CDI seems OK, it is the original piece and has not been tampered with. When on centerstand, the rpm reaches 8500 and the CDI doesn't cut off, so I guess it should be OK. Maybe I will check the clutch spring and see if it has been weakened. I'm new to scooters so I can only guess.

Check not only main spring but also small springs in the clutch. Furthermore, there are many parts in the transmission that have to be up to specs to work properly and most of them are never mentioned on this forum because people sell away scoots before they are due to be changed. Take a service manual and look for those specs (inside/outside diameter of various things, length of various parts, weight etc.) Check them all.

The easiest way to achieve what you describe (low top speed) would be using the wrong length belt, but you said that length is OEM.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Golota

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
New day, new issues  :(

Went to the garage today and tried to start the scooter. The phone charging icon comes on the screen. I push the starter switch, the relay clicks, but nothing happens. The starter motor is silent. I checked the battery, it is in tip-top shape (no wonder, installed a brand new one a few weeks ago). All the control lights come up, when I turn on the ignition, but nothing happens.

- The kill switch is off (tried swithing on and off a few times)
- The lcd panel is blind, only the control lights operate (why the phone icon is on, I have no idea)
- When I switch on and off the lights (ignition on), the speedo and rpm comes on and off, but still nothing.
- Changed all the fuses, still nothing

If the starter motor died, the lcd display would still operate, so I have no idea what the hell has gone wrong this time.

I'm starting to regret buying this bike. :(

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
New day, new issues  :(

Went to the garage today and tried to start the scooter. The phone charging icon comes on the screen. I push the starter switch, the relay clicks, but nothing happens. The starter motor is silent. I checked the battery, it is in tip-top shape (no wonder, installed a brand new one a few weeks ago). All the control lights come up, when I turn on the ignition, but nothing happens.

- The kill switch is off (tried swithing on and off a few times)
- The lcd panel is blind, only the control lights operate (why the phone icon is on, I have no idea)
- When I switch on and off the lights (ignition on), the speedo and rpm comes on and off, but still nothing.
- Changed all the fuses, still nothing

If the starter motor died, the lcd display would still operate, so I have no idea what the hell has gone wrong this time.

I'm starting to regret buying this bike. :(

You definitely have a short circuit somewhere, and if that is the case, it might be the cause of your issues with achieving high revs too, even though CDI is operating properly, it might not at high revs.

(btw. I do not think that this sentence makes sense - "if the starter motor died, the LCD display would still operate").

My P250S shows some signs of bad wiring too. From day one, after rain or washing, the oil pressure LED slightly flickers, obviously, the insulation around sensor is not exactly perfect. I was driving it from the shop to my home on day one and noticed that.
Furthermore, during winter, for the first minute after starting, engine overheat LED will be on and then it will turn off. Furthermore, when I push "passing" light (long beam) and if the gasoline gauge is below 1/3, the "reserve" gasoline LED will go on.

Unfortunately, I cannot stress enough after reading everything on this forum that Kymcos seem to be generally of sh**ty quality.

If I were you, I would first tear apart all tupperware, from front to rear (it takes maybe an hour the first time).
Then I would push the ignition key to on and move by hand one by one cable/harness until I identify where is the short circuit.

This is one of those things that are hard to troubleshoot, take a lot of time and nerves, but costs nothing to fix.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:58:04 AM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()