Author Topic: Seatback_ mode  (Read 2257 times)

sjb9989

• View Profile
Seatback_ mode
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »
has anyone made an adjustment or modified the seatback in order to get better leg room. Question is how. was it done? how much did it cost? Was the arms shortened or foam removed?
I would like to keep the factory appearance.
Never look back, because someone my pass you.
          Proud owner 2009 Xciting 500r

Syl

• View Profile
Re: Seatback_ mode
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:26:05 PM »
Own a DT 300i and am thinking about the same problem. I posted my thought's in another subject couple weeks ago. In looking at the frame of my seat there doesn't appear to be much area to re-upholster the way we would like. As I noted before, I wanted to straighten out the \ slant to l vertical to give that bottom of the slant 2-3 inches backward. Again, in looking at my seat, there doesn't appear to be that much room for that change. I have three yrs. in upholstery and hope I can come up with something eventually. I agree with you, several more inches backward would certainly give one more leg comfort. Good Luck.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »
Mine seems to give me enough room but I sympathize with those with longer legs.  I haven't looked at those adjustment rods lately but did a while back.  Have you tried removing that little allen screw to see if that lets it go back further? 

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »
Tried to place a better pic of my seat mod,no luck. Some flat bar.and a different back pad,hinges so it will fold foward and done. try to mag. my avatar pick,or I can send you some by E-Mail.

sjb9989

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:15:48 AM »
thanks for the replies yes. first I will remove the Allen screw and maybe cut the arms??
let's play it by feel :)

sjb9989

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 02:16:20 AM »
For The folks that are wondering...I removed the seatback and cut off 1/2", from both arms. beveled the edges, reinstalled the seatback. I gained 1/2" of legroom...I know it doesn't sound like much, but 1-1.5hr. rides can cause the KNEES to ache...and now the seatback is more a SEATBACK than a BUTTBACK!!!

GOOD SAFE RUNNING EVERYONE.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 03:05:43 PM »
I also cut the rods when I had the seat modified. I took off about an inch and a half. The extra leg room is nice on longer trips. I had the seat on my '09 recovered and stuffed with ortho foam from a guy in San Antonio who makes custom seats for scooters and motorcycles. Looks good, sits nice, and my butt does not go numb on longer cruises, like yesterday's 200+ mile ride to see granddaughters. Foam is soft and the leg room saves my knees.

Looks damn fine too. Pics to come when I replace the cowling; it's scratched and I don't want pics until scooter is looking its best.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
Hey, thanks to both of you for these mod reports!  So it wasn't too hard after all.  ;)

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:08:37 PM »
Well, regarding effort, I did have to move the hacksaw back and forth a few times, other than that, no, it was easy. chuckle-chuckle.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

BradleyT

• Cape Town, South Africa
  • My two-wheel mobile armchair...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »
Anyone got pics of the modification yet?
...everything will look better when the sun comes up...

My Twitter:  scooterbrad

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()