Author Topic: Oh yeah -- We had a ride yesterday, too  (Read 4223 times)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Oh yeah -- We had a ride yesterday, too
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »
... and I may be giving up Kymco, soon.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Oh yeah -- We had a ride yesterday, too
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »
why and if you do stay in touch dont have to leave the fourm.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »
Why?  For the third spring in a row, the P250 is overheating. There's no question in my mind that the cylinder or the case is warped, and the likely cure for it is replacing the engine... which I may just do. I know a guy at the shop who travels the U.S. buying up Super 9Ss (LC versions only), and he also bought a wrecked P250 for parts (he has one intact, as well). Maybe we can work out a deal on that.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
go with a new scoot if you know they have over heating proplems.get something dif.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:26:45 AM »
The good news: The guy who has the wrecked P250 offered to give me the engine, gratis. Of course I can't do that, but I can work out a deal where he'll get work on his Super 9S currently in the shop in exchange for it.

The bad news: I haven't seen the damage, so I dunno... he says one of the engine mounts is damaged, and I might need half of my original case (he says) to make it work out right. If that is warped on my engine, this may just be another dead-end that I won't find out about until next spring.

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
how many miles on your People 250, J?
scoots!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »
Why?  For the third spring in a row, the P250 is overheating. There's no question in my mind that the cylinder or the case is warped, and the likely cure for it is replacing the engine... which I may just do. I know a guy at the shop who travels the U.S. buying up Super 9Ss (LC versions only), and he also bought a wrecked P250 for parts (he has one intact, as well). Maybe we can work out a deal on that.

I cannot understand why such a simple things as engine overheating was not fixed.
If everything is connected as it should be and if there is coolant in the system and there is no clogging, and thermostat and thermal element are both functioning, I simply fail to understand why it should overheat.
Incredible. And you work in a Kymco workshop? Isn't there anybody who could help?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

P250Fanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
Why not just put a brand new engine in it? Someone on the yahoo forum confirmed that the S version works perfectly! Not sure of the price though...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »
If everything is connected as it should be ...
But JP has a strong suspicion that something in his engine is warped (then I would expect some power loss too).
BTW: the overheating problem is unknown in the German Kymco forum too. (Not a surprise, if it is good enough for tropical Taiwan.)

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
I cannot understand why such a simple things as engine overheating was not fixed.
If everything is connected as it should be and if there is coolant in the system and there is no clogging, and thermostat and thermal element are both functioning, I simply fail to understand why it should overheat.
Incredible. And you work in a Kymco workshop? Isn't there anybody who could help?

Yes; they've helped me the last two years -- the first time, the gaskets were replaced under warranty. That time, the engine was not overheating, but it was leaking oil. So okay, we all thought "defective gasket." Life goes on!

Forward just under a year, and the overheating shows up. We replace the radiator cap, the thermostat and the thermosensor, and still no joy. A test with a kit similar to this showed the presence of exhaust gases in the cooling system, which was a valuable test -- the next part to suspect was the water pump, which is all but impossible to test, and a pain to replace (requires removing the engine, and splitting the case). At no time was anyone able to smell antifreeze, or see any coolant leaks with the bike running or parked for days at a time.

Now, I'm back to where I was last February, only the overheating is worse -- one mile of riding, and the temperature gauge is pegged at full-on hot. Again, no detectable leaks of any fluids. So the consensus is that I have one or more slightly-warped components -- head, cylinder or engine case -- which makes sense to me, as replacing the two gaskets that sandwiches between these three parts will resolve the problem for almost a year. Over time, the exhaust gases get past the fresh, fat, tight gasket(s), and into the water jacket, because the mating surfaces aren't perfectly flush with one another.

Could this be fixed?  Yes -- with a lot more labor and the expense of a machinist involved, versus simply swapping in a near-new engine. Since I have around 23,000km on the engine, I think the latter option is a far better course of action.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
Sorry -- the case is not an issue. There are no cooling passages into the case from the cylinder. So, the problem with the minutely-warped surfaces are with either the cylinder head or the cylinder, or both (see attached).

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
Sorry -- the case is not an issue. There are no cooling passages into the case from the cylinder. So, the problem with the minutely-warped surfaces are with either the cylinder head or the cylinder, or both (see attached).

I HATE, HATE ISSUES LIKE THIS!!!!!!!  ??? :(
The only time I had issues with overheating was with my 72 cc stage two Piaggio NRG / 10+ hp. It would overheat during the summer, but it was expected because cooling system was designed for 5 hp scoot and not 10 hp.

If you want to stick to that scoot, the cheapest option is to get a new engine from wrecked People, but in that case, you might run into some other problems that are unknown. However, consider yourself lucky to live in a country of 300 million people with good purchasing power and many sources. I wonder if there are more than 50 People 250S in my country of 4.5 million. It would be impossible for me to find any 2nd hand spare parts, I have to buy everything new... :(
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »
Well, it's not so much a matter of "want(ing)" -- it's a matter of "what can I do, given that I've been out of a steady paycheck nearly three years." Unbelievably, because of my very part-time work at the scooter shop, I know a guy who has an engine for me, and is willing to simply let me have it. I'll work out a deal with the shop so he gets some free work out of it, and the shop will get free work from me in exchange.

If the other engine has its own issues, I will simply hope they don't involve tearing it down and basically re-doing the top end every year.  :)

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
Wow, I can't afford to be funny here nor add anything knowledgeable to this heavy stuff. I will say I hope jp can get this worked out and will stick with us. The job situation doesn't sound good at all for you...d_ _ _. From the sound's of all this, I hope I never have an overheating problem such as this. Heck, I have enough trouble just trying to get my body cooled down from overheating. Good Luck jp.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »
Naw, hey -- it's been okay. Difficult, but I have been managing. I just started a paid internship with a local Internet marketing optimization firm. Very part-time, but my hours will pick up a bit at the scooter shop in coming months (they already have, actually), too. Fortunately, I have a very understanding landlord, to whom I owe about $3K in arrears on the rent, but as long as I slip him $250 or $500 every few weeks, he's cool.

I am looking forward to doing more than eating hot dogs and ramen, and maybe having health care again before I hit the Medicare entry limit, but like I say in my .sig...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()